To Declaw or not declaw

For those who think you love cats, and then you declaw them and keep them indoors...you don't love cats. You love the idea that you love cats.

I have six cats, two on purpose, four are rescues. They all have their claws, I just don't bother to buy brand new, nice furniture because it might cause strife if they claw it. Generally, they're pretty good, but they will occasionally scratch on a chair or the couch. I find that you can order really nice slipcovers to rejuvenate old furniture. I go to slipcovershop.com, they're great and quite reasonable. Anyway, it's a good solution to keeping my house looking nice.

I have quite a large yard, and I had it fenced with black chain link, 6' tall because of my Dobermans. At the top of the fence I have barb arms, pointing INWARD at 45 degrees. Across the top of that I have secured plastic netting that then hangs down. What this does is the cats can't get out of the yard. I researched quite a bit before deciding what to do, and it has worked for years now. They CANNOT get out. I wrapped some copper flashing around my tree trunks, that keeps the cats from climbing the tree trunks and getting out that way. You get the picture. So they get to have an outdoor experience, sneak around in the bushes, chase bugs, bask in the sun, etc. without the danger of getting hit by cars, getting lost, getting in cat fights or being killed by dogs.

And it's not that I love cats soooo much...it's just the decent thing to do. I have all this power over what kind of experience they have in this life. I take that very seriously. I feel it is my responsibility to provide them the best possible life experience, including being able to go outdoors safely and getting to keep their claws.

I think Unkotare feels actual anguish for animals who suffer, and that's why he gets so angry. I understand that kind of empathy with animals because I feel it too.

Nice to see there is at least one moral human being on this board.

For those who think you love cats, and then you declaw them and keep them indoors...you don't love cats. You love the idea that you love cats.

I have six cats, two on purpose, four are rescues. They all have their claws, I just don't bother to buy brand new, nice furniture because it might cause strife if they claw it. Generally, they're pretty good, but they will occasionally scratch on a chair or the couch. I find that you can order really nice slipcovers to rejuvenate old furniture. I go to slipcovershop.com, they're great and quite reasonable. Anyway, it's a good solution to keeping my house looking nice.

I have quite a large yard, and I had it fenced with black chain link, 6' tall because of my Dobermans. At the top of the fence I have barb arms, pointing INWARD at 45 degrees. Across the top of that I have secured plastic netting that then hangs down. What this does is the cats can't get out of the yard. I researched quite a bit before deciding what to do, and it has worked for years now. They CANNOT get out. I wrapped some copper flashing around my tree trunks, that keeps the cats from climbing the tree trunks and getting out that way. You get the picture. So they get to have an outdoor experience, sneak around in the bushes, chase bugs, bask in the sun, etc. without the danger of getting hit by cars, getting lost, getting in cat fights or being killed by dogs.

And it's not that I love cats soooo much...it's just the decent thing to do. I have all this power over what kind of experience they have in this life. I take that very seriously. I feel it is my responsibility to provide them the best possible life experience, including being able to go outdoors safely and getting to keep their claws.

I think Unkotare feels actual anguish for animals who suffer, and that's why he gets so angry. I understand that kind of empathy with animals because I feel it too.

My Pyewacket died a couple of years back at almost 21. So I think I can speak as an individual as a good person who has been owned by a cat.

#1 rule never ever insult another cat owner. Why? because all of our lives and our situations are different.

#1 rule shut up that you are a great cat owner we don't want to hear it. if we are bitching it means we really have a problem.

#1 rule always shut up and just try to help any cat owner thru whatever hell they are going thru. because they are hurting.

And the most important rule

#1 don't ever tell me I don't love cats that was the most reviling part of your post. How dare you?

My cat is currently sleeping on her head peacefully. I doubt she has lost a night's rest over her front claws. Had her for 17 years like the two cats before her. Each one was rarely sick, given a great deal of attention and purred immediately upon my entry into the room.

I find it almost impossible to believe a person who would commit violence on another person can be a nonabusive pet owner.

My Pyewacket died a couple of years back at almost 21. So I think I can speak as an individual as a good person who has been owned by a cat.

#1 rule never ever insult another cat owner. Why? because all of our lives and our situations are different.

#1 rule shut up that you are a great cat owner we don't want to hear it. if we are bitching it means we really have a problem.

#1 rule always shut up and just try to help any cat owner thru whatever hell they are going thru. because they are hurting.

#1 don't ever tell me I don't love cats that was the most reviling part of your post. How dare you?

What you don't understand, tinydancer, is I don't care about cat owners. I care about the cats.

Like I said earlier in this thread, I once had two cats declawed. It was one of the most shameful things I ever did in my life. I regret it dearly. How self-centered I was.

I really wish people who don't like animals with claws would just get gerbils, or something. Not cats.

Of course, it's an entirely different matter to rescue a cat who's already been declawed. Amazing how many of those end up getting dumped off at the local Animal Control center.

Last edited:
I have indoor cats never declaw use scratch pads sprinke with cat nip works a charm .

cats like any pet ( or even kids for that matter ) will bust ,break or distroy something in the home at sometime of other .

if you value your posessions more then a loving pet or the joy a child brings
dont have any of the above

What you don't understand, TinyDancer, is I don't care about cat owners. I care about the cats.

Like I said earlier in this thread, I once had two cats declawed. It was one of the most shameful things I ever did in my life. I regret it dearly. What a self-centered piece of shit I was.
thank you for admitting that you have earned a positive rep from me

Last edited:

What you don't understand, TinyDancer, is I don't care about cat owners. I care about the cats.

Like I said earlier in this thread, I once had two cats declawed. It was one of the most shameful things I ever did in my life. I regret it dearly. What a self-centered piece of shit I was.
And still are considering your comments about other cat owners. You and the other moron's puerile attempts at moral superiority are reminiscent of all those who seek to impose their concepts and ideals on all others.

And still are considering your comments about other cat owners. You and the other moron's puerile attempts at moral superiority are reminiscent of all those who seek to impose their concepts and ideals on all others.

We're just speaking on behalf of those who can't speak for themselves. And it's not about concepts and ideals we're trying to impose, it's about trying to educate people that removing cat's claws mutilates their paws and is a cruel thing to do. I remember when I had those cats declawed, how they'd try to cling to something and couldn't. I knew in my heart when I did it that it was wrong, but I was so full of myself and my new townhouse and furnishings that I rationalized it away.

I hope I never do anything that selfish again in my entire life.

We're just speaking on behalf of those who can't speak for themselves. And it's not about concepts and ideals we're trying to impose, it's about trying to educate people that removing cat's claws mutilates their paws and is a cruel thing to do. I remember when I had those cats declawed, how they'd try to cling to something and couldn't. I knew in my heart when I did it that it was wrong, but I was so full of myself and my new townhouse and furnishings that I rationalized it away.

I hope I never do anything that selfish again in my entire life.

What you are doing is called anthropomorphism. It's not cruel except in you mind so in reality all you are doing is trying to "educate" people as to your opinion and in the process calling it fact.
Now don't get me wrong, by all means, have and voice your opinion about declawing, I'm not trying to prevent that but stop judging others as cruel who don't hold to your ideals and faux moral high ground and you won't get slapped back.

Screw cats....Can't stand the smell of a cat owners house either. And don't give me any shit, there is not one cat owners house that doesn't stink like cats. Doesn't stink with that nasty cat urine smell...Besides, cats have to crawl all over every damn thing in the house, too include the dining room table and kitchen counters. Cat hair in food sucks. Cats are friggin' nasty critters.

Give me a dog any day. Our Cocker Spaniel has never torn up, or damaged anything. The house doesn't stink, and she worships the ground I walk on. Like my daughters, she's a daddy's girl.....A cat doesn't give a shit. If they did, they wouldn't tear your shit up, piss all over your crappy furniture, spray on your pillow, and drag their nasty asses all over your kitchen cutting board an hour before you slice the cheese....Think about that the next time you sit down for dinner.

As far as declawing goes, rip your own damn fingernails out, see how it feels, and then decide.

JMHO.

Last edited:

What you don't understand, tinydancer, is I don't care about cat owners. I care about the cats.

Like I said earlier in this thread, I once had two cats declawed. It was one of the most shameful things I ever did in my life. I regret it dearly. How self-centered I was.

IDreally wish people who don't like animals with claws would just get gerbils, or something. Not cats.

Of course, it's an entirely different matter to rescue a cat who's already been declawed. Amazing how many of those end up getting dumped off at the local Animal Control center.
:lol:

Did you spay or neuter?

Okey dokey, let's examine spaying and neutering.

Rip out uterus. :lol: Check.

Castrate male :lol: Check.

Front claws compared to balls and a uterus considered cruel by a dipshit lib::lol: Check.

[What you don't understand, tinydancer, is I don't care about cat owners. I care about the cats.

I really wish people who don't like animals with claws would just get gerbils, or something. Not cats.

What a crock of shit. The number of clawed cats FAR outweighs the small number of declawed ones in shelters. A person incapable of showing human compassion certainly cannot show it toward an animal and be an emotionally healthy person. That is a fact.

declawing a cat, in my experience, is a case by case experience, and we have had both declawed and clawed cats. The environment in which you wish to live dicates. However, if you declaw, make sure you understand what a cat undergoes and make sure you have a great vet. Best fortune on this: not an easy call at all.

Don't do it!

It will render your cat defenseless should he get out.

But on the other hand, if you have an animal in your house that destroys your furniture and creates a liability problem, you may as well get a dog.

Not that I have anything against cats, but I suspect that cat people really want a dog anyway but don't want the bother. And they are a big pain in the ass but a whole lot better company and a lot more fun than a cat.

[What you don't understand, tinydancer, is I don't care about cat owners. I care about the cats.

What a crock of shit. The number of clawed cats FAR outweighs the small number of declawed ones in shelters. A person incapable of showing human compassion certainly cannot show it toward an animal and be an emotionally healthy person. That is a fact.

Okay, I'll bite. Why do you keep bringing up the inability to show compassion to humans, committing violence on people, etc.? Spit it out.

Last edited:

IDreally wish people who don't like animals with claws would just get gerbils, or something. Not cats.

:lol:

Did you spay or neuter?

Okey dokey, let's examine spaying and neutering.

Rip out uterus. :lol: Check.

Castrate male :lol: Check.

Front claws compared to balls and a uterus considered cruel by a dipshit lib::lol: Check.

Hey, you stupid bitch, I'm not a lib.

There are no residual affects from being spayed and neutered. A female dog spayed before her first estrus may become incontinent and require medication for a lifetime, however, so it might be wise to wait until after she comes into heat the first time before spaying.

A female dog who is spayed has a reduced risk of breast cancer, however.

Here would be a human comparison...a women who has a hysterectomy versus a woman who has all her fingers amputated? NOW which has the most impact?

I hate it when I have to explain things to stupid people.

Don't do it!

It will render your cat defenseless should he get out.

But on the other hand, if you have an animal in your house that destroys your furniture and creates a liability problem, you may as well get a dog.

Not that I have anything against cats, but I suspect that cat people really want a dog anyway but don't want the bother. And they are a big pain in the ass but a whole lot better company and a lot more fun than a cat.

No kidding about dogs and cats! I grew up with both, but for many, many years as an adult I had only cats because I didn't live where I could have dogs. My boss was always telling me dogs are better and I'd tell him that wasn't true. Then I got dogs! OMG, they are wonderful! I had to tell my boss he was right, after all. And the more intelligent the dog, the more of a heartbreaker they are! I still love my cats, but my dogs bring much more joy to my life.

No kidding about dogs and cats! I grew up with both, but for many, many years as an adult I had only cats because I didn't live where I could have dogs. My boss was always telling me dogs are better and I'd tell him that wasn't true. Then I got dogs! OMG, they are wonderful! I had to tell my boss he was right, after all. And the more intelligent the dog, the more of a heartbreaker they are! I still love my cats, but my dogs bring much more joy to my life.

You really shouldn't own a cat then. You had one because of conditions, not because that is what you wanted. Also, you can't understand your cat, so you assume it is less intelligent.

You really shouldn't own a cat then. You had one because of conditions, not because that is what you wanted. Also, you can't understand your cat, so you assume it is less intelligent.

I didn't say the cats weren't intelligent. I said "the more intelligent the dog, the more of a heartbreaker they are." I wasn't talking about cats at all there.

No, we didn't have cats just because of the "conditions." We WANTED them. My husband and I both grew up in families that always had dogs and cats. So two of our cats we have on purpose...they are purebred cats that we purchased, back when we lived in an apartment. Didn't have a backyard there, but we screened off our large 8' x 30' deck so the cats could go out there. Put all kinds of nonpoisonous potted flowers and plants out there in the summer so they could have an outdoor experience, even living in a second-floor apartment.

The other four cats were rescued. They were strays we picked up over time. They were trying to survive outside in the Alaskan winter. Nobody else bothered to try and help them. Same with two of our dogs...they were starving out on the streets and nobody was helping them. So we did. No, we didn't WANT them. But we couldn't leave them out there like that. Now that we have them, we love them. The cats too.

For the past two and a half years, every day without fail, I put food and fresh water under my porch for the strays.

You are trying to build a case that I don't care for my animals based on the fact that I have spoken out strongly against the practice of declawing cats. That doesn't add up, now does it?

Thank you for playing and not making me wait a long time to reply. lol

Yes, it was a false generalization. On purpose, to show you the foolishness of comments you made prior. I appreciate your taking in of strays. I got all my cats from the shelter or unwanted by their owners too. Only the last cat was declawed. It has a personality which makes it ill suited to going outdoors and I live in town, so it is strictly an indoor cat. I'd appreciate some consideration that this was the proper way to handle this particular cat. When I'm at home posting, Daisy is usually by my feet getting a pet and purring.

Forum List

Back