Thoreau

odanny

Diamond Member
May 7, 2017
Midwest - Trumplandia
Was Thoreau a philosopher, or just an author? Was he an activist of some sort in his era? He said a lot of interesting things.

"If one advances confidently in the direction of their dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. He will put some things behind, and pass an invisible boundary; new, universal, and more liberal laws will begin to establish themselves around and within him."

"Men spend the best part of their lives making money in order to enjoy a questionable liberty in the least valuable part of their lives."

He sounded like he was unwilling to exile living life on his own terms, in order to live how he wanted in some other, more appropriate time in his life. I guess I really need to read Walden, which I have never. I also do not know much about Ralph Waldo Emerson .

Last edited:
Was Thoreau a philosopher, or just an author? Was he an activist of some sort in his era? He said a lot of interesting things.

"If one advances confidently in the direction of their dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. He will put some things behind, and pass an invisible boundary; new, universal, and more liberal laws will begin to establish themselves around and within him."

"Men spend the best part of their lives making money in order to enjoy a questionable liberty in the least valuable part of their lives."

He sounded like he was unwilling to exile living life on his own terms, in order to live how he wanted in some other, more appropriate time in his life. I guess I really need to read On Walden Pond, which I have never. I also do not know much about Ralph Waldo Emerson .
thoreau was woke. "civil disobedience," in which we learned to accept the consequences for acts of civil disobedience, is not in the curriculum at prager u

A useful quick summary from Emerson though fast DYOR takes you as deep as you choose on this matter .

While his comment is overly reductive, simplifying Thoreau’s creativity and his writing skills too much, Emerson is on target to a certain extent; through paradox and reversals, Thoreau’s philosophy seeks to bring out the uncommon in the common. This is the approach guiding Thoreau’s philosophy, but in his deployment of it on diverse topics, Thoreau’s creativity offers startling observations and insights. His creativity, his highly refined prose, and the autobiographical origins of his writings often conceal Thoreau’s philosophical rigor; but woven throughout his texts are the concept of wildness and Thoreau’s ceaseless attempts to celebrate and elaborate what it means. From his antislavery essays to his travel narratives, wildness is the recurring philosophical theme.
imho

Forum List

Back