They changed America before with the Children's Crusade in 1963, now David Hogg &Co will do it again

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015
“Nothing in my entire life has affected me that much — ever. Not only am I a different person, but I was robbed of my innocence.” - David Hogg

'History shows that kids, with their innocence, honesty and moral urgency, can shame adults into discovering their conscience. It worked in Birmingham. During the children’s crusade, young people swarmed in to redirect the arc of history.

we shared many of the same basic feelings of adolescence: unbounded idealism, courage unclouded by ‘practical’ concerns, faith and optimism untrampled by the ‘realities’ of the adult world.' - John Lewis

"But the Birmingham movement was flagging. In need of a radical shift in strategy, James Bevel, an adviser to King, recommended turning young blacks into foot soldiers for equal rights. King was hesitant, fearing for the children’s safety. He prayed and reflected and finally accepted that putting children in danger could help determine their future.

they were laughing and singing and carrying handmade picket signs reading “Segregation is a sin” and “I’ll die to make this land my home.

By the end of the day, under Bull Connor’s orders, more than 500 kids were behind bars charged with parading without a permit, some 75 youngsters crammed into cells meant for eight adults.

On May 2, 1963, the first day of the Birmingham children’s crusade, some 800 students skipped class, high-schoolers all the way down to first-graders. Sneaking over the fences, they scampered to the Sixteenth Street Baptist Church, the march’s staging ground. (Four months later, the church would be dynamited by the Ku Klux Klan, killing four black girls.)"

The children’s crusade was national news. The Birmingham movement had been revived. And President John F. Kennedy was now paying attention.

It was then that the president and the attorney general began considering a path toward comprehensive civil rights legislation. Until students took to the streets, John Kennedy had failed to act; for two and a half years, he had been slow to recognize the plight of blacks in America. Throughout his brief term, he had been focused on other matters: foreign affairs, the national economy, the space program. But now his eyes had been opened.

“Looking back,” King wrote later, “it is clear that the introduction of Birmingham’s children into the campaign was one of the wisest moves we made. It brought a new impact to the crusade, and the impetus that we needed to win the struggle.”
Children have changed America before, braving fire hoses and police dogs for civil rights

get a red tomato. feel it's heft. consider it's origins.

there's a fair chance it was picked in Florida, home to a 600 million dollar tomato industry, and if so, it was picked in Immokalee, in hot southwest Florida, if so, a fair chance it was picked by someone who not that many years ago was a slave.

by the hands of migrant workers from Mexico, who were abused physically & sexually, paid by the bucket and not the punishing hours in the field, yet whose meager wages were routinely stolen by their bosses, and who were pistol-whipped and chained in locked containers if they complained. POWERLESSNESS!

these workers had NO RECOURSE. NO ADVOCATES. NO FLUENCY IN ENGLISH. they were socially dead to the rest of the United States.

in 2001, they organized the 1st ever farmworker boycott of a fast-food company, against Taco Bell, 4 years later TB agreed to raise wages

the buyers agreed to contribute some of the pittance they once squeezed from their workers to a common fund for worker health and worker safety and worker education. WalMart joined the effort in 2014. 10 million dollars has been paid into the fund.

the pickers of Immokalee fought for a fair chance, and they're still fighting.

my fellow millenials, the old generation is a thing of the past, forget them, but WE have a bright future!

....my fellow millenials, the old generation is a thing of the past, forget them, but WE have a bright future!

Careful. Get too far out of line and the brightness may be red, wet, and flowing out of your chest.

Your generstion's time WILL come (long after I'm dead) , but not for many years. Until then you need to respect (and fear) your elders (and betters) or you folks might not be around long enough to see that time arrive.

• Banned
enough is enough. VOTE THEM ALL OUT! no more Republicans. no more Democrats. vote every single politician who is linked with NRA out.

• Banned
we have a cultural problem with violence. we are a violent country. we're violent. if we don't change the culture, we won't change the violence, or stop the violence, rather.

we have a cultural problem with violence. we are a violent country. we're violent. if we don't change the culture, we won't change the violence, or stop the violence, rather.

Our problem is insufficient Government violence to keep the populace under control and respecting/fearing Law and Order.

Our problem is insufficient Government violence to keep the populace under control and respecting/fearing Law and Order.

That will go right over his head, sarcasm is beyond him.

enough is enough. VOTE THEM ALL OUT! no more Republicans. no more Democrats. vote every single politician who is linked with NRA out.

The Democratic Party always tries to exploit young naive people.
The NRA is not protecting mass shooters, they are protecting people's right to defend themselves from those mass shooters.
If David Hogg was able to wave is magical Nazi wand and ban guns it would not stop criminals, mass shooters and terrorist. All that he would be doing is making innocent people defenseless against those criminals, mass shooters and terrorist. His other big misconception is that the millions of gun owners would voluntarily turn in their guns. Gun confiscation might start a civil war. There are about 300 million guns in circulation. It would be impossible to effectively confiscate them.
Hogg is a dumb tool.

Hogg's 15 minutes are up. He's so "yesterday".

Hogg is the future. you are the past!

Doubtful. They've tried to groom him into some sort of youth leader, but frankly, he's not that bright, and they've probably succeeded only in making him more annoying than he was before the event.

The Democrats paint him as some emerging focal point. Most kids in unstaged settings laugh or shrug at him.

No we don't.

No we aren't. What we are is stupid, as we tend to keep our garbage around the house, instead of sending it out to the local landfill.

"If you acquires my drift ..."

“Nothing in my entire life has affected me that much — ever. Not only am I a different person, but I was robbed of my innocence.” - David Hogg

'History shows that kids, with their innocence, honesty and moral urgency, can shame adults into discovering their conscience. It worked in Birmingham. During the children’s crusade, young people swarmed in to redirect the arc of history.

we shared many of the same basic feelings of adolescence: unbounded idealism, courage unclouded by ‘practical’ concerns, faith and optimism untrampled by the ‘realities’ of the adult world.' - John Lewis

"But the Birmingham movement was flagging. In need of a radical shift in strategy, James Bevel, an adviser to King, recommended turning young blacks into foot soldiers for equal rights. King was hesitant, fearing for the children’s safety. He prayed and reflected and finally accepted that putting children in danger could help determine their future.

they were laughing and singing and carrying handmade picket signs reading “Segregation is a sin” and “I’ll die to make this land my home.

By the end of the day, under Bull Connor’s orders, more than 500 kids were behind bars charged with parading without a permit, some 75 youngsters crammed into cells meant for eight adults.

On May 2, 1963, the first day of the Birmingham children’s crusade, some 800 students skipped class, high-schoolers all the way down to first-graders. Sneaking over the fences, they scampered to the Sixteenth Street Baptist Church, the march’s staging ground. (Four months later, the church would be dynamited by the Ku Klux Klan, killing four black girls.)"

The children’s crusade was national news. The Birmingham movement had been revived. And President John F. Kennedy was now paying attention.

It was then that the president and the attorney general began considering a path toward comprehensive civil rights legislation. Until students took to the streets, John Kennedy had failed to act; for two and a half years, he had been slow to recognize the plight of blacks in America. Throughout his brief term, he had been focused on other matters: foreign affairs, the national economy, the space program. But now his eyes had been opened.

“Looking back,” King wrote later, “it is clear that the introduction of Birmingham’s children into the campaign was one of the wisest moves we made. It brought a new impact to the crusade, and the impetus that we needed to win the struggle.”
Children have changed America before, braving fire hoses and police dogs for civil rights

there's a fair chance it was picked in Florida, home to a 600 million dollar tomato industry, and if so, it was picked in Immokalee, in hot southwest Florida, if so, a fair chance it was picked by someone who not that many years ago was a slave.

by the hands of migrant workers from Mexico, who were abused physically & sexually, paid by the bucket and not the punishing hours in the field, yet whose meager wages were routinely stolen by their bosses, and who were pistol-whipped and chained in locked containers if they complained. POWERLESSNESS!

these workers had NO RECOURSE. NO ADVOCATES. NO FLUENCY IN ENGLISH. they were socially dead to the rest of the United States.

in 2001, they organized the 1st ever farmworker boycott of a fast-food company, against Taco Bell, 4 years later TB agreed to raise wages

the buyers agreed to contribute some of the pittance they once squeezed from their workers to a common fund for worker health and worker safety and worker education. WalMart joined the effort in 2014. 10 million dollars has been paid into the fund.

my fellow millenials, the old generation is a thing of the past, forget them, but WE have a bright future!
Holy shit. You’re comparing Hogg to civil rights and labor leaders? Have you lost your mind?

Holy shit. You’re comparing Hogg to civil rights and labor leaders? Have you lost your mind?

David Hogg is 10 trillion times more impactful than civil rights and labor leaders.

David Hogg is 10 trillion times more impactful than civil rights and labor leaders.
LMAO! Yep, you lost your mind.

see you in 2020!

see you in 2020!
Unlike Hogg I’ll still be here. And you won’t hear a single word about gun control from the Dems leading up to 2020. They know it’s a losing stance.

Forum List

Back