The Working Poor finally getting some

Link to support your claim that the same percentage of population is working.

Bureau of Labor Statistics Data

View attachment 262693
Ummm the labor force is not the percentage of people working, it’s the percentage of the population working or trying to work.

The employment-population ratio, on the other hand, has gone up from 59.9% in Jan 2017 to 60.6% in April 2019.

How do they define civilian labor force?

Anyone over the age of 15, excluding active-duty military personnel, institutionalized individuals, agricultural workers and federal government employees.

what you were describing is not the labor force, but the sdult civilian non-institutional population. Sort of. The current population survey does collect information for ages 15 and above, but only publishes ages 16 and above.
And neither agricultural workers nor government civilians are excluded.

The labor force is the number of people working (employed) plus the number of people trying to work (unemployed). Not in the labor force are those who are not making any effort to work; retired, school, disabled, stay home spouse, pot head in mom’s basement, trust fund kid, etc

And for the follow up question on illegal aliens...there are no questions about citizenship status, so illegals are not excluded, but not many are eager to answer questions from census workers.

Last edited:
And if LEGALS also have the door shut in their faces, wages will rise EVEN MORE FASTER.

We have GENERATIONS of stagnation to make up for.

Once again, we have over a million more open jobs than we have people that want a job. While that does help the wage rates go up for a short time, it will also lead to stagnation of the economy because there can be no growth without a fresh supply of workers.

This also highly favors the larger corporations as they can afford to absorb the higher salaries far easier than a smaller company.

Your plan is like not eating for a week straight to loose weight...yeah I will work but it causes lots of other problems.

WHat is your plan for long term wage growth?

Of course not.

So, if Trump's deportations were having a serious impact, in tightening the labor market, that would not be reflected?

Not in the labor participation rate. Do you have any evidence Trump is deporting large numbers of illegals already working?

Currently there are more than a million more open positions than people looking for a job. If companies cannot grow, wages will again stagnate

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

That doesn't even make sense, if more jobs available then workers, wages should go up

People are emotionally committed to the idea of America losing. THe idea that a good policy can turn it around for US, at some odd level, produces a negative emotional reaction, and their attempt to rationalize it, produces some very odd "thinking".

This is one of the dumbest things you have ever posted.

A UE rate of less than 4% is not losing.

119 months straight of economic growth is not losing.

104 consecutive months of positive job growth is not losing.

The stock market hitting record highs (till the trade war started) was not losing.

When all of that translates into real gains in standard of living for the average American, THEN it is not losing.

And now that we see that finally starting to happen, you are exhibiting a negative reaction to it.

Good article examining why wage growth had been lagging and is finally starting to take off,

AND, especially important, imo, the long ignored working poor are finally, getting the most benefit.

I consider this a wonderful thing, and think we need to do more of what led to these good numbers.

Discuss.

Why Wages Are Finally Rising, 10 Years After the Recession

"Average hourly earnings in April were 3.2 percent higher than a year earlier, the ninth straight month in which growth topped 3 percent, the Labor Department reported Friday.

Other measures diverge on the exact timing and rate of increase, but not on the basic trend: Wage growth, long stuck in neutral, has at last found a higher gear.

“We’ve spent several years going, ‘Where is the wage growth? Where is the wage growth?’” said Martha Gimbel, an economist for the job-search site Indeed. “And it turns out we just had to wait a few years for the labor market to get tighter....”

...The recent gains are going to those who need it most. Over the past year, low-wage workers have experienced the fastest pay increases, a shift from earlier in the recovery, when wage growth was concentrated at the top."
They have not "risen" in my area I live in...

Keep the labor market tight, but do not cut off the flow of needed workers. There is no reason to cut off companies from bringing in qualified, trained immigrants if they need to. This will allow all companies to keep growing.

It will also allow companies to be better situated for the coming down turn.

When all of that translates into real gains in standard of living for the average American, THEN it is not losing.

And now that we see that finally starting to happen, you are exhibiting a negative reaction to it.

what negative reaction is that?

and the average American already has a higher standard of living than 99% of the world, we are not really suffering as much as you like to pretend.

Good article examining why wage growth had been lagging and is finally starting to take off,

AND, especially important, imo, the long ignored working poor are finally, getting the most benefit.

I consider this a wonderful thing, and think we need to do more of what led to these good numbers.

Discuss.

"Average hourly earnings in April were 3.2 percent higher than a year earlier, the ninth straight month in which growth topped 3 percent, the Labor Department reported Friday.

Other measures diverge on the exact timing and rate of increase, but not on the basic trend: Wage growth, long stuck in neutral, has at last found a higher gear.

“We’ve spent several years going, ‘Where is the wage growth? Where is the wage growth?’” said Martha Gimbel, an economist for the job-search site Indeed. “And it turns out we just had to wait a few years for the labor market to get tighter....”

...The recent gains are going to those who need it most. Over the past year, low-wage workers have experienced the fastest pay increases, a shift from earlier in the recovery, when wage growth was concentrated at the top."
Thanks to minimum wage hikes that we passed that are finally kicking in.

21 states passed a minimum wage increase a while back but it wasn’t supposed to kick in till 2019. Republicans objected to this increase in pay. Now you’re taking credit for it. Nice.

Discuss.

They have not "risen" in my area I live in...

I live in the Rust Belt, and not the cool, hip part of the Rust Belt either, (sarcasm alert) and I'm seeing more and more signs of it all the time.

VERY EXCITING.

Keep the labor market tight, but do not cut off the flow of needed workers. There is no reason to cut off companies from bringing in qualified, trained immigrants if they need to. This will allow all companies to keep growing.

It will also allow companies to be better situated for the coming down turn.

Companies will never raise wages, nor offer training if we let them do that.

what negative reaction is that?

and the average American already has a higher standard of living than 99% of the world, we are not really suffering as much as you like to pretend.

I don't want to be compared to the rest of the world. I want to be compared to the last generation of Americans, and I want to be doing better, and I want the same for my child.

THAT'S the goal. That is the American Dream.

Discuss.

21 states passed a minimum wage increase a while back but it wasn’t supposed to kick in till 2019. Republicans objected to this increase in pay. Now you’re taking credit for it. Nice.

The linked article discusses that. That is PART of the rise, but not even the majority of the rise.

You don't think that reducing supply (of labor) leads to higher prices (wages)?

Discuss.

The linked article discusses that. That is PART of the rise, but not even the majority of the rise.

I do. I was waiting for it.

Actually I’ve seen it first hand. These guys who run construction companies can’t find enough help and they are paying a lot

Discuss.

Actually I’ve seen it first hand. These guys who run construction companies can’t find enough help and they are paying a lot

Do you agree that this is a good thing? Do you want more of it for the workers?

Discuss.

So your happy paying for a $11 dollar hamburger basket that used to cost $7 bucks?

Companies need people, if they cannot grow, they will quit offering raises. You cannot starve companies of employees and except a positive outcome. There might be a short term bump, but the cost over the long run will negate that.

I don't want to be compared to the rest of the world. I want to be compared to the last generation of Americans, and I want to be doing better, and I want the same for my child.

And it is up the individual to make that happen. It is not my job to make the American Dream a reality for you and your children.

Companies need people, if they cannot grow, they will quit offering raises. You cannot starve companies of employees and except a positive outcome. There might be a short term bump, but the cost over the long run will negate that.

We had plenty of economic growth over the last 50 years, but little in the way of raises.

Discuss.

and eventually this will cost them construction jobs and profit for their company, which will suffer because of it.

And it is up the individual to make that happen. It is not my job to make the American Dream a reality for you and your children.

Economic and immigration policy effects that environment that individuals work in to make that happen.

We can choose policy to make it more achievable for more individuals,

or we can choose to policy that will make it harder and harder so that fewer and fewer people can make it.

Why should we choose to make it harder for our fellow citizens to succeed?

Economic and immigration policy effects that environment that individuals work in to make that happen.

We can choose policy to make it more achievable for more individuals,

or we can choose to policy that will make it harder and harder so that fewer and fewer people can make it.

Why should we choose to make it harder for our fellow citizens to succeed?

Starving companies of employees so that they cannot grow is making it harder for our fellow citizens to succeed in the future. you are selling the future for a short term gain now.

Forum List

Back