The value of slavery?

Since the government forced those people into internment camps, that makes it government responsibility to repair the harm done to them. You realize that the US government also forced Alaskan Natives into internment camps during WWII, don't you? Blacks released from slavery subsequent to the end of the Civil War were also provided the opportunity to claim reparations. In that sense, the government fulfilled its obligation to them as it did to both Japanese-Americans and Alaskan Natives. But the slaves whose descendants you would recompense with taxpayer money were traded and owned by individuals. I have proposed a fair and equitable means of establishing a fund financed by the descendants of slave traders/owners based on your own definition for establishing the recipients of such funds. Any and all individuals who can be proved to have descended (within a certain degree of consanguinity) from persons who traded or owned black slaves in the US should be required to contribute to a reparation fund proportionate to the participation of their ancestors in the use of black slaves. You appear to feel that such a fund would be inadequate to meet your (as representative of established recipients) demands. Hence, you would prefer to hit up the Federal government because they have much deeper pockets. In essence, it isn't the principle of the thing, it boils down to how much can you get from what source. Your concept of reparations isn't a principled extraction of what is "owed" to specified recipients but is basically a shake down of the American taxpayer.
Where do you think the government got the money to pay the Japanese? Blacks never got any reparations. If they were offered reparations why didnt any of them know about it? No the government never fulfilled its obligation. In what world did this happen?

No. It's not.

Slaves for the most part didn't get reparations. Few got the 40 acres and a mule biz.

But descendents don't have any right to reparations - why would they? They were not directly harmed. None of the descendents of the interned Japanese got reparations did they?

Yes we do have the right to reparations. Nobody got anything after slavery but the whites slaveowner who got reparations for the freed slaves they lost. Go study the impact of slavery on blacks today. Because you are opposing something based on not knowing why.

Woman have been historically underpaid for the same work as men. Am I entitled to reparations because my great grandmother was underpaid for her labor?

You do realize that's a stupid ass question. Right?

Did you agree that the Japanese had a right to get reparations from every man, woman, and child that paid taxes?
Since the government forced those people into internment camps, that makes it government responsibility to repair the harm done to them. You realize that the US government also forced Alaskan Natives into internment camps during WWII, don't you? Blacks released from slavery subsequent to the end of the Civil War were also provided the opportunity to claim reparations. In that sense, the government fulfilled its obligation to them as it did to both Japanese-Americans and Alaskan Natives. But the slaves whose descendants you would recompense with taxpayer money were traded and owned by individuals. I have proposed a fair and equitable means of establishing a fund financed by the descendants of slave traders/owners based on your own definition for establishing the recipients of such funds. Any and all individuals who can be proved to have descended (within a certain degree of consanguinity) from persons who traded or owned black slaves in the US should be required to contribute to a reparation fund proportionate to the participation of their ancestors in the use of black slaves. You appear to feel that such a fund would be inadequate to meet your (as representative of established recipients) demands. Hence, you would prefer to hit up the Federal government because they have much deeper pockets. In essence, it isn't the principle of the thing, it boils down to how much can you get from what source. Your concept of reparations isn't a principled extraction of what is "owed" to specified recipients but is basically a shake down of the American taxpayer.
Where do you think the government got the money to pay the Japanese? Blacks never got any reparations. If they were offered reparations why didnt any of them know about it? No the government never fulfilled its obligation. In what world did this happen?

Slaves for the most part didn't get reparations. Few got the 40 acres and a mule biz.

But descendents don't have any right to reparations - why would they? They were not directly harmed. None of the descendents of the interned Japanese got reparations did they?

Yes we do have the right to reparations. Nobody got anything after slavery but the whites slaveowner who got reparations for the freed slaves they lost. Go study the impact of slavery on blacks today. Because you are opposing something based on not knowing why.

Woman have been historically underpaid for the same work as men. Am I entitled to reparations because my great grandmother was underpaid for her labor?
Was it legalized by the federal government? If so yes. If not you can (or should be able to) sue the people that underpaid her.

Walmart could face a huge class action lawsuit from its female employees

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
Was she forced to do the labor against her will or did she apply for the job?

I am black, I want my free money! Reparations for slavery. My great grand daddy, uncle or mammy was worth 10 bazillion dollars. Send your guilt soaked checks to me, MaryL. It will solve everything. I have a bridge in Brooklyn too, and it will only cost you whatever you got.

And do you think repeating this makes you look more intelligent?
I learn from my mistakes, unlike you. Where are YOU going with this?

I am black, I want my free money! Reparations for slavery. My great grand daddy, uncle or mammy was worth 10 bazillion dollars. Send your guilt soaked checks to me, MaryL. It will solve everything. I have a bridge in Brooklyn too, and it will only cost you whatever you got.

The only person making mistakes here is you.

You havent learned from your mistakes. In fact you have gotten worse. Youre dumber than when I first joined the forum.

Of course they were harmed. Mentally as well as economically.The value of reparations is something they could have used to give a better life to their descendants. Also some of the descendants of the Japanese received reparations.
Which ones?
One that I know personally and a few others whos parents had passed before payments were made.

I suspect those were isolated and particular cases - for example, the reparations were already in the works when the person passed. I do know there was no wholesale reparation made to descendents nor would I support it.
Yeah I just checked the act and it claims no reparations were to be paid to descendants. Weird how some of them got it anyway.

This article says some heirs got reparations: Wwii Reparations: Japanese-American Internees | Democracy Now!

But this one says checks are mailed to survivors, nothing about heirs: Payments to WWII Internees to Begin : Reparations: The budget agreement clears the way for the program. The oldest survivors will be the first to receive the $20,000 checks.

The second article does mention that the act was authorized in 1988, but funds weren't allocated until later, and that the payments would be made over a 2-3 year period. Perhaps one or more survivors died after having been authorized for payment, and that's why the heirs got it? Just a guess.

Back in say, 1961 and my father and a next door neighbor, a black guy I remember this trip we took going down to the farmers market together to get eggs in lower down town Denver. In a Cadillac Brougham with big fins. No segregation, my dad was like Archie Bunker, accept he wasn't a total asshole. Actually he was a push over. The black guy was a veteran, to. Birds of a feather...race added up to nothing.

Then conduct a seance and discuss the matter with their ancestors.
Why? Comparing slavery to free labor is like comparing concentration camps to immigrsnt detainment centers. False moral equivalency.
Who said the labor was free?
Does your local Walmat feed, clothe and house their employees?

Substandard food, forced breeding, brutal whippings, substandard housing and white male right to rape...sounds like the owners took far more than labor. I had no idea thete were slavery deniers like there are holocast deniers. That is a new one.
Just like most Black areas today with all of their freedoms going to waste.
I’m not denying slavery; I’m denying the revisionist view of it lying only on all White people and asking why they haven’t taken advantage of the opportunity to catch up.

Exactly what "revisionist view" are you talking about? You're comparing it to wage labor...disregarding the very elemental fact of liberty.
Are you awake?
No African families sold their family members to Dutch traders because someone posted a web page that someone conjured up.
Seriously?
Blacks didn't migrate up North to Republican cities when they were offered financial incentives?
NYS didn't go from Republican to Democrat due to welfare and food stamps?
Seriously?
Blacks haven't created one area in 50 years that you would drive through after dark.
I'm bored hearing from two White hating Blacks how Whitey has held them down when other groups created their own successful neighborhoods and a generation later were welcome on Wall Street because Corporate America knew they wouldn't hold a protest if they didn't continuously jump undeservedly to the front of the line.

That was the past. You're dealing with a whole different breed nowadays, as we all are.
Its not just the past. Its the present and future. There are plenty of Blacks like myself that patronize Black businesses before ever going outside our community.
Understandable, if there are black businesses able to address you needs within the community. I also prefer to patronize local businesses but do not limit myself. Fortunately, I live in a community that includes representatives of many nationalities, races, social groups, etc. I select the businesses I patronize based on references or personal experience, not solely one specific identifier. Unless the community within you reside is predominantly black and you have no other choice, you might be missing better service or products if you use only the skin color of the proprietor as the sole determining factor of your patronage.
I disagree. I dont have a problem with spending more money to get an item from a Black business even if its all the way across the country. The internet has given me access to products created by Black people and owned by Black people. My money is held in a Black bank. All of my personal care items are provided by Black businesses even my toilet paper. I understand what you are saying about service or quality of product. So far I havent had any issues. If I had a problem with service or quality I would try to work with the Black business instead of just dropping it like I would a non Black business. I understand as other Black people should understand that in some instances we may need to take a few steps and sacrifice so we can move ahead as a group.

That's the great thing about this country. We're free to support what we wish - whether it's minority owned business', green business' or local economies.

But are they are group? Isn't that the mistake the Dems make? Assuming they are one voting block? Don't their needs and goals vary like white people? What I support is completely different than what whites in rural Alabama support.

The Diversity Of Black Political Views
The mistake the Dems have made is not fulfilling their promises in a speedy manner or sometimes not at all. I dont have a problem with Blacks being one voting bloc. Thats how you concentrate and wield political power. Not all Blacks have the same view just like any other race. However if they wish to see real significant change some of those views have to be put to the side in order to concentrate power.
Without Blacks, Democrats have no voting Blov.
Take a huy like the dearly departed Boss.
He kept his pants on and went to school and became a successful businessman.
He's laughing at you from the great beyond.

If you want to hold one country responsible for harm caused, all countries that participated should be held responsible.
That is not what you are saying. I am immune to your forced fallacies, akin to those of an AM radio talk host.

What you are saying is that we should do nothing, if we can't hold foreign countries just as accountable. That is, of course, absurd.

If you want to hold one country responsible for harm caused, all countries that participated should be held responsible.
That is not what you are saying. I am immune to your forced fallacies, akin to those of an AM radio talk host.

What you are saying is that we should do nothing, if we can't hold foreign countries just as accountable. That is, of course, absurd.
I never said that. I don’t believe we should do anything regardless. Those that are only holding the U.S. responsible are unreasonable.

It seems the that rich white plantation owners from 150 years ago aren't the only ones that profited from slavery. Faux black intellectuals as well as race hucksters are making pretty good profit off of this issue, too. $$$ I am sure they are all motivated by the purest of intensions as long as it pays off.

I never said that. I don’t believe we should do anything regardless. Those that are only holding the U.S. responsible are unreasonable.

th

It seems the that rich white plantation owners from 150 years ago aren't the only ones that profited from slavery. Faux black intellectuals as well as race hucksters are making pretty good profit off of this issue, too. $$$ I am sure they are all motivated by the purest of intensions as long as it pays off.

th

th
Thank you for the selfie.

Forum List

Back