The value of slavery?

When you talk about "our system" - what do you mean? Government?
Government and to an extent white belief system.

View attachment 204883 .

What white belief system?
The one that currently enables the racism here in the US.

That is awfully broad. So much so, it is meaningless.
You just gave a great example. Why is crack cocaine punished more harshly than any other cocaine?
It shouldn't be.

So I agree, in that particular case, it is a white belief system that creates a discrepency.

A racist system or that racism exists?

What specifically makes our system racist?
Both.

The way it was set up. The way it was and continues to be used to assist whites while punishing Blacks.

When you talk about "our system" - what do you mean? Government?
Government and to an extent white belief system.

View attachment 204883 .

What white belief system?
The white belief system that A. (a black man) claims to understand, although he has never been white and apparently has never lived within that white "belief system". He claims not white can ever understand the black peoples plight and yet, he understands whites, and their "system", fully.
Until A. has walked a mile in a white person's shoes, maybe he should stick to what he knows: black people stuff.

We have walked in white peoples shoes. We live within the white belief system. This is a white dominated culture. For us to survive we must understand white people. This is weak and I mean this entire discussion . All whites in here are doing is posting false equivalences and excuses.

The laws are racist as well. Just because they code the language doesnt make it less racist. Why does a crack dealer get more time than a cocaine dealer? One is traditionally Black and the other is traditionally white. The net effect of the law is overtly racist.

Ironically I was thinking of that - the net effect IS racist, but is the intent of the law racist? Was the law designed to be racially biased? I don't think so, it just ended up being that way.
What would be the intent of making two different laws for the same product?

It's not regarded as the same...and there are some differences: Crack vs. Cocaine: Here's The Real Difference - ATTN:

I think the subconscious reason though was cocaine was thought of as clean, upper class white and less addictive while crack was associated with ghetto, black, highly addictive. Just my opinion though.
Therein lies the white belief system. Cocaine is cocaine. There is no reason to treat possession of it differently. You dont get a bigger ticket because you drive a Bently vs a Pinto.

But penalties differ among opiods, meth, cocaine, pot....

I do agree though, the penalties for crack and cocaine should be the same.
Well which ones are punished less harshly and which ones draw more pity and acceptance due to the race of the users? Why isnt a crack head the same as a opiod head?

Ironically I was thinking of that - the net effect IS racist, but is the intent of the law racist? Was the law designed to be racially biased? I don't think so, it just ended up being that way.
What would be the intent of making two different laws for the same product?

It's not regarded as the same...and there are some differences: Crack vs. Cocaine: Here's The Real Difference - ATTN:

I think the subconscious reason though was cocaine was thought of as clean, upper class white and less addictive while crack was associated with ghetto, black, highly addictive. Just my opinion though.
Therein lies the white belief system. Cocaine is cocaine. There is no reason to treat possession of it differently. You dont get a bigger ticket because you drive a Bently vs a Pinto.

But penalties differ among opiods, meth, cocaine, pot....

I do agree though, the penalties for crack and cocaine should be the same.
Well which ones are punished less harshly and which ones draw more pity and acceptance due to the race of the users? Why isnt a crack head the same as a opiod head?

You are absolutely right in that regard. Attention wasn't gained until the white community started to suffer from the effects of drug abuse and addiction. That is a very good point.

Its not just the past. Its the present and future. There are plenty of Blacks like myself that patronize Black businesses before ever going outside our community.
Understandable, if there are black businesses able to address you needs within the community. I also prefer to patronize local businesses but do not limit myself. Fortunately, I live in a community that includes representatives of many nationalities, races, social groups, etc. I select the businesses I patronize based on references or personal experience, not solely one specific identifier. Unless the community within you reside is predominantly black and you have no other choice, you might be missing better service or products if you use only the skin color of the proprietor as the sole determining factor of your patronage.
I disagree. I dont have a problem with spending more money to get an item from a Black business even if its all the way across the country. The internet has given me access to products created by Black people and owned by Black people. My money is held in a Black bank. All of my personal care items are provided by Black businesses even my toilet paper. I understand what you are saying about service or quality of product. So far I havent had any issues. If I had a problem with service or quality I would try to work with the Black business instead of just dropping it like I would a non Black business. I understand as other Black people should understand that in some instances we may need to take a few steps and sacrifice so we can move ahead as a group.
I ask you this, if I were white, and if I were to declare that I preferred to deal with white-only businesses, even going out of my way to do so, would you call that racist?
Depends on what your reasons were for doing it.
Let's say I just really want to promote and strengthen the white community and see patronizing white businesses as a way of achieving this goal.
Then I wouldnt say it was racist. I would wonder why you thought you needed to do that since the white community is already in control of the government and the resources here in the US.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
I will say this. There is a big discrepency in how drug abuse is viewed, and it's on a racial line.

White opiod addicts are far more likely to get sympathy and attention and a push to treatment as well as public policy.

Black addicts are more likely to be blamed for their addiction - as products of the ghetto and instead of public policy, the push is into the criminal justice system.

Again this is the problem with many whites. You want define racism to try making everyone else just as racist. But:

Definition of racism

1 : a belief that
race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

2 a : a doctrine or political program based on the assumption of racism and designed to execute its principles

b : a political or social system founded on racism

3 : racial
prejudice or discrimination

Systemic racism is part of the definition of racism. And even if we limit it to what you want it to mean, the belief in white supremacy has been a cause of world problems. So it is important for whites to work on ending the racism in their community. What you call racism by others is the reaction and anger caused by white racism. Certainly this must be hard to understand when people actually tell a black person how they are wrong or should not be angry when they post here like we have no right to be. In order for things to change, this attitude many whites have whereby they want immediately to tell everybody else how everybody is a racist when they are asked to cleanse their community of it must stop.

Racism is a relatively new concept to humanity. Racism did not exist 1,000 years ago or even further back. It is something that can be ended

I disagree. Racism has existed for as long as humanity has had tribes. And racists can be black, white, or other. We are biologically hardwired to be fearful and exclusive of "the other".
Thats not racism Thats nationalism. Racism was created by whites to justify chattel slavery.

I disagree...it's not nationalism. It's biology in part. Racism exists everywhere independent of slavery. Look at Japan and, how it views non Japanese "foreigners" for example. "round eyes"....

it's not biology. We are not born a racists. Ethnocentrism is also of mistaken for racism. Have you ever taken the time to think about how others might actually feel about how they have been treated by whites?

Actually...it is. It's hardwired...but...malleable. Neuroscience is fascinating.

Brain hardwired to stereotype

“Just because a stereotype is ingrained in your brain, it doesn’t make you racist or sexist. We are all subject to subconscious stereotypes but we can consciously overrule that."

Is racism hard-wired? Scans show people's brains respond more strongly to information that reinforces negative stereotypes

So there is primitive hardwiring...but it doesn't have to define us. That is where learned behavior comes into being.

Racism is a learned behavior. We are talking about racism, not stereotyping. You can stereotype within the same race and the stereotype doesn't have to infer racial superiority.

Now how answering the question. "Have you ever taken the time to think about how others might actually feel about how they have been treated by whites?"

I disagree. Racism has existed for as long as humanity has had tribes. And racists can be black, white, or other. We are biologically hardwired to be fearful and exclusive of "the other".
Thats not racism Thats nationalism. Racism was created by whites to justify chattel slavery.

I disagree...it's not nationalism. It's biology in part. Racism exists everywhere independent of slavery. Look at Japan and, how it views non Japanese "foreigners" for example. "round eyes"....

it's not biology. We are not born a racists. Ethnocentrism is also of mistaken for racism. Have you ever taken the time to think about how others might actually feel about how they have been treated by whites?

Actually...it is. It's hardwired...but...malleable. Neuroscience is fascinating.

“Just because a stereotype is ingrained in your brain, it doesn’t make you racist or sexist. We are all subject to subconscious stereotypes but we can consciously overrule that."

Is racism hard-wired? Scans show people's brains respond more strongly to information that reinforces negative stereotypes

So there is primitive hardwiring...but it doesn't have to define us. That is where learned behavior comes into being.

Racism is a learned behavior. We are talking about racism, not stereotyping. You can stereotype within the same race and the stereotype doesn't have to infer racial superiority.

Now how answering the question. "Have you ever taken the time to think about how others might actually feel about how they have been treated by whites?"

Racism is based on stereotyping though. Somewhere I read that babies, at a certain age - automatically start identifying with the faces of the race they were raised among - ie familiar vs unfamiliar and our biological hard wiring says - danger! It's in a sense "natural" to view "the other" as "not us" - it's our learning...or as one article I read put it - our liberal impulses - that teach us to overcome our biology which tells us that "familiar" is safe and "unfamiliar" is dangerous. But if we're raised with people who reinforce that hardwiring - we become xenophobic, racist, etc. That is learned...

And...57 pages into this thread and I'm still waiting for some solid numbers. Who should be paid how much? Using current pay scales? Using pay scales prevalent during the time that slaves were working? We already know that A. believes that all current taxpayers should be made to contribute to paying retribution, regardless of their ancestors' place of origin, how or when they arrived in the US. OK, we have a source. But who should be paid reparations? All people of color, regardless of whether they can prove their heritage having derived from slaves held in the US? Any black person currently residing here, regardless of when their ancestors arrived? And what percentage of their bloodline should derive from blacks, African or otherwise, would entitle them to reparations?

Well...here are some ideas...

Slavery Reparations Could Cost Up to $14 Trillion, According to New Calculation

Calculating Reparations: $1.5 Million for Each Slave Descendant in the U.S | Black Agenda Report

This is what reparations could actually look like in America
Thank you, Coyote. Those are interesting articles and do provide information about how reparations might be calculated and why the authors deem reparations necessary.
I still do not agree that every man, woman, and child who pays taxes should be forced to contribute to fund these payments. Many later immigrants came here penniless, with the clothes on their backs, and yet they managed to improve their lots in life.
Did you agree that the Japanese had a right to get reparations from every man, woman, and child that paid taxes?
Since the government forced those people into internment camps, that makes it government responsibility to repair the harm done to them. You realize that the US government also forced Alaskan Natives into internment camps during WWII, don't you? Blacks released from slavery subsequent to the end of the Civil War were also provided the opportunity to claim reparations. In that sense, the government fulfilled its obligation to them as it did to both Japanese-Americans and Alaskan Natives. But the slaves whose descendants you would recompense with taxpayer money were traded and owned by individuals. I have proposed a fair and equitable means of establishing a fund financed by the descendants of slave traders/owners based on your own definition for establishing the recipients of such funds. Any and all individuals who can be proved to have descended (within a certain degree of consanguinity) from persons who traded or owned black slaves in the US should be required to contribute to a reparation fund proportionate to the participation of their ancestors in the use of black slaves. You appear to feel that such a fund would be inadequate to meet your (as representative of established recipients) demands. Hence, you would prefer to hit up the Federal government because they have much deeper pockets. In essence, it isn't the principle of the thing, it boils down to how much can you get from what source. Your concept of reparations isn't a principled extraction of what is "owed" to specified recipients but is basically a shake down of the American taxpayer.

I try to.

Conversely...have you yourself ever accepted whites as equal...? Real friends? Or do you treat them as the enemy.

Ken Burns program on the civil war pointed out that the Confederacy ultimately was so desperate, they ultimately gave black slaves freedom in return for fighting for their cause. And those that fought for the confederacy realized that THAT bald faced consideration made the confederacy MOOT. When the south would employ black slaves to fight for the states right to own slaves, well, it made the point, didn't it?

Youre not going to find many Black people that dont see the racism that permeates the US. Some may have a different view on what may constitute racism in a specific event but in all my life I have never met a Black person that will say the US doesnt have a racist system (racism).

Do you believe that racism is gone?

Nope.

Then why ask the question you asked?

Because people can be racist, systems can be racists, policies and laws can be racist...it can be one, some or all. So what makes our SYSTEM racist? As opposed to individuals?

I can think of some things - the criminal justice system for example. That would be a system that while not overtly racist, has ended up being racist in how things are handled.

Why is it, even when you guys know racism exists that when we say the system is racist that we must always play 20 questions and then show you specifics? If you know it exists, then you've seen the specifics. The criminal justice system is the worst example you can use to claim something is not overtly racist.

Understandable, if there are black businesses able to address you needs within the community. I also prefer to patronize local businesses but do not limit myself. Fortunately, I live in a community that includes representatives of many nationalities, races, social groups, etc. I select the businesses I patronize based on references or personal experience, not solely one specific identifier. Unless the community within you reside is predominantly black and you have no other choice, you might be missing better service or products if you use only the skin color of the proprietor as the sole determining factor of your patronage.
I disagree. I dont have a problem with spending more money to get an item from a Black business even if its all the way across the country. The internet has given me access to products created by Black people and owned by Black people. My money is held in a Black bank. All of my personal care items are provided by Black businesses even my toilet paper. I understand what you are saying about service or quality of product. So far I havent had any issues. If I had a problem with service or quality I would try to work with the Black business instead of just dropping it like I would a non Black business. I understand as other Black people should understand that in some instances we may need to take a few steps and sacrifice so we can move ahead as a group.
I ask you this, if I were white, and if I were to declare that I preferred to deal with white-only businesses, even going out of my way to do so, would you call that racist?
Depends on what your reasons were for doing it.
Let's say I just really want to promote and strengthen the white community and see patronizing white businesses as a way of achieving this goal.
Then I wouldnt say it was racist. I would wonder why you thought you needed to do that since the white community is already in control of the government and the resources here in the US.
Maybe I'm just a regular guy who doesn't view myself as racist. Most people are embedded in their own small community.

Do you believe that racism is gone?

Nope.

Then why ask the question you asked?

Because people can be racist, systems can be racists, policies and laws can be racist...it can be one, some or all. So what makes our SYSTEM racist? As opposed to individuals?

I can think of some things - the criminal justice system for example. That would be a system that while not overtly racist, has ended up being racist in how things are handled.

Why is it, even when you guys know racism exists that when we say the system is racist that we must always play 20 questions and then show you specifics? If you know it exists, then you've seen the specifics. The criminal justice system is the worst example you can use to claim something is not overtly racist.

Because people can say anything. And if one part of the system is racist that doesn't mean the whole system is. Earlier, I specfically said that the criminal justice system is racially biased and gave examples - so what exactly do you mean?

I live next door to a Japanese person that was put in a interment camp. He is still alive. I don't live next to any people harmed, hurt or gained anything by slavery that are still alive, though. Slavery ended 150 years ago. Only people profiting from that now are blacks. Alleging racism has become quite an industry.

I live next door to a Japanese person that was put in a interment camp. He is still alive. I don't live next to any people harmed, hurt or gained anything by slavery that are still alive, though. Slavery ended 150 years ago. Only people profiting from that now are blacks. Racism has become quite an industry.

I agree...reparations should be made to survivors...not descendents.

However, racism isn't an industry it exists. And it shouldn't be marginalized where it actually exists.

And...57 pages into this thread and I'm still waiting for some solid numbers. Who should be paid how much? Using current pay scales? Using pay scales prevalent during the time that slaves were working? We already know that A. believes that all current taxpayers should be made to contribute to paying retribution, regardless of their ancestors' place of origin, how or when they arrived in the US. OK, we have a source. But who should be paid reparations? All people of color, regardless of whether they can prove their heritage having derived from slaves held in the US? Any black person currently residing here, regardless of when their ancestors arrived? And what percentage of their bloodline should derive from blacks, African or otherwise, would entitle them to reparations?

Calculating Reparations: $1.5 Million for Each Slave Descendant in the U.S | Black Agenda Report

Thank you, Coyote. Those are interesting articles and do provide information about how reparations might be calculated and why the authors deem reparations necessary.
I still do not agree that every man, woman, and child who pays taxes should be forced to contribute to fund these payments. Many later immigrants came here penniless, with the clothes on their backs, and yet they managed to improve their lots in life.
Did you agree that the Japanese had a right to get reparations from every man, woman, and child that paid taxes?
Since the government forced those people into internment camps, that makes it government responsibility to repair the harm done to them. You realize that the US government also forced Alaskan Natives into internment camps during WWII, don't you? Blacks released from slavery subsequent to the end of the Civil War were also provided the opportunity to claim reparations. In that sense, the government fulfilled its obligation to them as it did to both Japanese-Americans and Alaskan Natives. But the slaves whose descendants you would recompense with taxpayer money were traded and owned by individuals. I have proposed a fair and equitable means of establishing a fund financed by the descendants of slave traders/owners based on your own definition for establishing the recipients of such funds. Any and all individuals who can be proved to have descended (within a certain degree of consanguinity) from persons who traded or owned black slaves in the US should be required to contribute to a reparation fund proportionate to the participation of their ancestors in the use of black slaves. You appear to feel that such a fund would be inadequate to meet your (as representative of established recipients) demands. Hence, you would prefer to hit up the Federal government because they have much deeper pockets. In essence, it isn't the principle of the thing, it boils down to how much can you get from what source. Your concept of reparations isn't a principled extraction of what is "owed" to specified recipients but is basically a shake down of the American taxpayer.
Where do you think the government got the money to pay the Japanese? Blacks never got any reparations. If they were offered reparations why didnt any of them know about it? No the government never fulfilled its obligation. In what world did this happen?

Where do you think the government got the money to pay the Japanese? Blacks never got any reparations. If they were offered reparations why didnt any of them know about it? No the government never fulfilled its obligation. In what world did this happen?

Slaves for the most part didn't get reparations. Few got the 40 acres and a mule biz.

But descendents don't have any right to reparations - why would they? They were not directly harmed. None of the descendents of the interned Japanese got reparations did they?

Slaves for the most part didn't get reparations. Few got the 40 acres and a mule biz.

But descendents don't have any right to reparations - why would they? They were not directly harmed. None of the descendents of the interned Japanese got reparations did they?
Of course they were harmed. Mentally as well as economically.The value of reparations is something they could have used to give a better life to their descendants. Also some of the descendants of the Japanese received reparations.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2

I try to.

Conversely...have you yourself ever accepted whites as equal...? Real friends? Or do you treat them as the enemy.

There is no conversely to be had here. Again, you guys try the false equivalence. I grew up in a town 90 percent white and have whites that are childhood friends. Was married to a white lady, all of that. I asked what I did because when whites start talking about how people from all races can be racist it makes me wonder just how much thought you have given to understanding how others feel about how they have been treated by whites.

At some point in time whites are just going to have to bow their necks and understand the dfficult position they put themselves in. Always trying to turn things around on others when they talk to you about what whites need to do is not going to get anything done except keep hostility alive.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back