The value of slavery?

gallantwarrior

Gold Member
Jul 25, 2011
On my own 200 acres of the Frozen North
What would you estimate the value of slavery in the US to have been?
Specifically, if reparations were to be made for slavery, how much would you estimate the value of lost wages plus interest to be? Please be specific. What pay scale would you propose be used, and what amount of interest?
Who would you propose be paid reparations for slavery in the US?
And, who would you propose pay into the fund to be dispersed to those deemed recipients of said reparations?

Specifically, if reparations were to be made for slavery, how much would you estimate the value of lost wages plus interest to be? Please be specific. What pay scale would you propose be used, and what amount of interest?
And, who would you propose pay into the fund to be dispersed to those deemed recipients of said reparations?
No one would need pay into any fund. They would need only to pay their taxes as scheduled.

We shouldn't pay reparations.

Why would I want to pay off some crackers just because we freed all the black people?

Thank you. There are good points there, but leaves it up to individuals to determine their qualification, and to determine the amount acceptable to each. At least once (that I know of), such a program of reparation has been implemented and paid for: Black Farmers to Receive Payouts in $1.2 Billion from Federal Lawsuit. It was fraught with fraud and abuse and left too many legitimate claimants unrewarded.
I'm actually looking for your calculations and how you determine them. Do you not consider the myriad of other programs, like Affirmative Action, that addressed past discrimination, to have been at least partially helpful?

Thank you. There are good points there, but leaves it up to individuals to determine their qualification, and to determine the amount acceptable to each. At least once (that I know of), such a program of reparation has been implemented and paid for: Black Farmers to Receive Payouts in $1.2 Billion from Federal Lawsuit. It was fraught with fraud and abuse and left too many legitimate claimants unrewarded.
I'm actually looking for your calculations and how you determine them. Do you not consider the myriad of other programs, like Affirmative Action, that addressed past discrimination, to have been at least partially helpful?
The Black Farmers payout didnt have anything to do with slavery. That was a seperate issue.

"This is the second round of funding for black farmers. Thousands received payments in 1999 as part of a settlement in a class-action suit over allegations of widespread discrimination by federal officials who denied loans and other assistance to black farmers because of their race."

I havent made any calculations simply because I think its futile to waste time on something whites will fight to their dying breath. As long as whites control the system its not going to happen.

Why would I consider AA when AA has not been a Black only benefit? Matter of fact white women are the largest beneficiaries of AA which has increased the economic gap between whites and Blacks. There simply has never ever been a payout for the lost wages Blacks were denied during slavery.

The value of lost wages to a dead person is $0 USD
Completely untrue. Wages owed at the time of death are still owed to the decedant's estate or benficiary.
And am asking about wages owed at the time of death of someone held as a slave in the US at the time of his/her death, plus interest. Part of the question addresses how much interest.

Reparations are out of the the question. But slaves did have some intrinsic value during that period..

Measuring Worth - Measuring the Value of a Slave

Reparations are not going to be paid.

Should they have been in 1865? or 1895? Possibly.

Not now.

Just wanted to throw this in here - be back later

Wage theft is the illegal practice of not paying workers for all of their work including; violating minimum wage laws, not paying overtime, forcing workers to work off the clock, and much more. It is a major problem statewide.
Governed by current wage laws of the time referred to, what where those amounts minimum wage, overtime, off-the-clock, etc, at the time when such wages were earned? Do you want to go into a state-by-state analysis of the time period?

The amount owed is simply mind boggling. Its almost like trying to envision how big the universe is. When you through in punitive damages it gets even bigger.

Reparations are not going to be paid.

Should they have been in 1865? or 1895? Possibly.

Not now.

Agreed. The blood of 620,000 Americans killed in the Civil War, is reparations enough.

The Black Farmers payout didnt have anything to do with slavery. That was a seperate issue.

"This is the second round of funding for black farmers. Thousands received payments in 1999 as part of a settlement in a class-action suit over allegations of widespread discrimination by federal officials who denied loans and other assistance to black farmers because of their race."

I havent made any calculations simply because I think its futile to waste time on something whites will fight to their dying breath. As long as whites control the system its not going to happen.

Why would I consider AA when AA has not been a Black only benefit? Matter of fact white women are the largest beneficiaries of AA which has increased the economic gap between whites and Blacks. There simply has never ever been a payout for the lost wages Blacks were denied during slavery.
I think that more people would be more receptive if provided some definite numbers. A vague claim of "some" money for "some" perceived hurt is probably much less helpful than someone actually posting a calculation of benefits denied. If someone (maybe you) could make a concrete estimate of lost wages blacks were denied, plus interest, you might find a better reception for you claims.

From what I've seen, the posters on this site that support reparations do so for more than just slavery. :dunno:
There is case for that as well but we are only discussing slavery. We know that laws and policies were implemented to cheat and hold Blacks back like share cropping, vagrancy laws, Black codes, red lining, loan denial etc etc etc but those are not part of the discussion now.

The amount owed is simply mind boggling. Its almost like trying to envision how big the universe is. When you through in punitive damages it gets even bigger.

Just quit already. The idea of "reparations" is nothing but a "get rich quick" scheme dreamed about by people who want something for nothing.

You'd be better off going down to the local convenience store and buying a lottery ticket.

Forum List

Back