The value of slavery?

I live next door to a Japanese person that was put in a interment camp. He is still alive. I don't live next to any people harmed, hurt or gained anything by slavery that are still alive, though. Slavery ended 150 years ago. Only people profiting from that now are blacks. Racism has become quite an industry.

I agree...reparations should be made to survivors...not descendents.

However, racism isn't an industry it exists. And it shouldn't be marginalized where it actually exists.
Well, well. Who are the survivors? Hmm. Slavery ended in 1865. Racism is being made into an industry of blame. I live with Vietnamese, and they got over wars and all sorts of outrages. To quote Vonnegut : So it goes...Blacks capitalize on their inability to accept the past. Boy howdy, do they!

I live next door to a Japanese person that was put in a interment camp. He is still alive. I don't live next to any people harmed, hurt or gained anything by slavery that are still alive, though. Slavery ended 150 years ago. Only people profiting from that now are blacks. Racism has become quite an industry.

I agree...reparations should be made to survivors...not descendents.

However, racism isn't an industry it exists. And it shouldn't be marginalized where it actually exists.
Well, well. Who are the survivors? Hmm. Slavery ended in 1865. Racism is being made into an industry of blame. I live with Vietnamese, and they got over wars and all sorts of outrages. To quote Vonnegut : So it goes...Blacks capitalize on their inability to accept the past. Boy howdy, do they!
Sorry but we wont accept the notion that we are not owed reparations. No amount guilt trippin or whining will change that.

Thank you, Coyote. Those are interesting articles and do provide information about how reparations might be calculated and why the authors deem reparations necessary.
I still do not agree that every man, woman, and child who pays taxes should be forced to contribute to fund these payments. Many later immigrants came here penniless, with the clothes on their backs, and yet they managed to improve their lots in life.
Did you agree that the Japanese had a right to get reparations from every man, woman, and child that paid taxes?
Since the government forced those people into internment camps, that makes it government responsibility to repair the harm done to them. You realize that the US government also forced Alaskan Natives into internment camps during WWII, don't you? Blacks released from slavery subsequent to the end of the Civil War were also provided the opportunity to claim reparations. In that sense, the government fulfilled its obligation to them as it did to both Japanese-Americans and Alaskan Natives. But the slaves whose descendants you would recompense with taxpayer money were traded and owned by individuals. I have proposed a fair and equitable means of establishing a fund financed by the descendants of slave traders/owners based on your own definition for establishing the recipients of such funds. Any and all individuals who can be proved to have descended (within a certain degree of consanguinity) from persons who traded or owned black slaves in the US should be required to contribute to a reparation fund proportionate to the participation of their ancestors in the use of black slaves. You appear to feel that such a fund would be inadequate to meet your (as representative of established recipients) demands. Hence, you would prefer to hit up the Federal government because they have much deeper pockets. In essence, it isn't the principle of the thing, it boils down to how much can you get from what source. Your concept of reparations isn't a principled extraction of what is "owed" to specified recipients but is basically a shake down of the American taxpayer.
Where do you think the government got the money to pay the Japanese? Blacks never got any reparations. If they were offered reparations why didnt any of them know about it? No the government never fulfilled its obligation. In what world did this happen?

Slaves for the most part didn't get reparations. Few got the 40 acres and a mule biz.

But descendents don't have any right to reparations - why would they? They were not directly harmed. None of the descendents of the interned Japanese got reparations did they?
Of course they were harmed. Mentally as well as economically.The value of reparations is something they could have used to give a better life to their descendants. Also some of the descendants of the Japanese received reparations.
Which ones?

I disagree...it's not nationalism. It's biology in part. Racism exists everywhere independent of slavery. Look at Japan and, how it views non Japanese "foreigners" for example. "round eyes"....

it's not biology. We are not born a racists. Ethnocentrism is also of mistaken for racism. Have you ever taken the time to think about how others might actually feel about how they have been treated by whites?

Actually...it is. It's hardwired...but...malleable. Neuroscience is fascinating.

Brain hardwired to stereotype

“Just because a stereotype is ingrained in your brain, it doesn’t make you racist or sexist. We are all subject to subconscious stereotypes but we can consciously overrule that."

Is racism hard-wired? Scans show people's brains respond more strongly to information that reinforces negative stereotypes

So there is primitive hardwiring...but it doesn't have to define us. That is where learned behavior comes into being.

Racism is a learned behavior. We are talking about racism, not stereotyping. You can stereotype within the same race and the stereotype doesn't have to infer racial superiority.

Now how answering the question. "Have you ever taken the time to think about how others might actually feel about how they have been treated by whites?"

I try to.

Conversely...have you yourself ever accepted whites as equal...? Real friends? Or do you treat them as the enemy.

There is no conversely to be had here. Again, you guys try the false equivalence. I grew up in a town 90 percent white and have whites that are childhood friends. Was married to a white lady, all of that. I asked what I did because when whites start talking about how people from all races can be racist I makes me wonder just how much thought you have given to understanding how others feel about how they have been treated by whites.

At some point in time whites are just going to have to bow their necks and understand the dfficult position they put themselves in. Always trying to turn things around on others when they talk to you about what whites need to do is not going to get anything done except keep hostility alive.

Yes. There is a conversely.

Anyone can be racist.

Why do I have to bow my neck?

What "difficult position" did I put myself in?

I have no desire for hostility but neither will I take blame for things I did not do.

Did you agree that the Japanese had a right to get reparations from every man, woman, and child that paid taxes?
Since the government forced those people into internment camps, that makes it government responsibility to repair the harm done to them. You realize that the US government also forced Alaskan Natives into internment camps during WWII, don't you? Blacks released from slavery subsequent to the end of the Civil War were also provided the opportunity to claim reparations. In that sense, the government fulfilled its obligation to them as it did to both Japanese-Americans and Alaskan Natives. But the slaves whose descendants you would recompense with taxpayer money were traded and owned by individuals. I have proposed a fair and equitable means of establishing a fund financed by the descendants of slave traders/owners based on your own definition for establishing the recipients of such funds. Any and all individuals who can be proved to have descended (within a certain degree of consanguinity) from persons who traded or owned black slaves in the US should be required to contribute to a reparation fund proportionate to the participation of their ancestors in the use of black slaves. You appear to feel that such a fund would be inadequate to meet your (as representative of established recipients) demands. Hence, you would prefer to hit up the Federal government because they have much deeper pockets. In essence, it isn't the principle of the thing, it boils down to how much can you get from what source. Your concept of reparations isn't a principled extraction of what is "owed" to specified recipients but is basically a shake down of the American taxpayer.
Where do you think the government got the money to pay the Japanese? Blacks never got any reparations. If they were offered reparations why didnt any of them know about it? No the government never fulfilled its obligation. In what world did this happen?

Slaves for the most part didn't get reparations. Few got the 40 acres and a mule biz.

But descendents don't have any right to reparations - why would they? They were not directly harmed. None of the descendents of the interned Japanese got reparations did they?
Of course they were harmed. Mentally as well as economically.The value of reparations is something they could have used to give a better life to their descendants. Also some of the descendants of the Japanese received reparations.
Which ones?
One that I know personally and a few others whos parents had passed before payments were made.

Which ones?
One that I know personally and a few others whos parents had passed before payments were made.

I suspect those were isolated and particular cases - for example, the reparations were already in the works when the person passed. I do know there was no wholesale reparation made to descendents nor would I support it.

Blacks sit on their asses, hate whites, blame whites for their ennui, and then want to get paid for it. Ok, I am black, I want my free money for being a victim. I am a lazy ass twit. I am black, where is my free money? I earned it, because of slavery and things I never had anything to do with.

Blacks sit on their asses, hate whites, blame whites for their ennui, and then want to get paid for it. Ok, I am black, I want my free money for being a victim. I am a lazy ass twit. I am black, where is my free money? I earned it, because of slavery and things I never had anything to do with.

No they don't.

Thank you, Coyote. Those are interesting articles and do provide information about how reparations might be calculated and why the authors deem reparations necessary.
I still do not agree that every man, woman, and child who pays taxes should be forced to contribute to fund these payments. Many later immigrants came here penniless, with the clothes on their backs, and yet they managed to improve their lots in life.

Yes we do have the right to reparations. Nobody got anything after slavery but the whites slaveowner who got reparations for the freed slaves they lost. Go study the impact of slavery on blacks today. Because you are opposing something based on not knowing why.

White belief system in the flesh.

Which ones?

I suspect those were isolated and particular cases - for example, the reparations were already in the works when the person passed. I do know there was no wholesale reparation made to descendents nor would I support it.
Yeah I just checked the act and it claims no reparations were to be paid to descendants. Weird how some of them got it anyway.

Uneducated whites use this argument. And when I say uneducated, I mean this is a person who may not have a high school diploma.

Uneducated whites use this argument. And when I say uneducated, I mean this is a person who may not have a high school diploma.
Excellent example of the white belief system I pointed out to Coyote.

I am black, I want my free money! Reparations for slavery. My great grand daddy, uncle or mammy was worth 10 bazillion dollars. Send your guilt soaked checks to me, MaryL. It will solve everything. I have a bridge in Brooklyn too, and it will only cost you whatever you got.

I am black, I want my free money! Reparations for slavery. My great grand daddy, uncle or mammy was worth 10 bazillion dollars. Send your guilt soaked checks to me, MaryL. It will solve everything. I have a bridge in Brooklyn too, and it will only cost you whatever you got.

And do you think repeating this makes you look more intelligent?

Which ones?

Yeah I just checked the act and it claims no reparations were to be paid to descendants. Weird how some of them got it anyway.

Might just be that the process was in place when the person died?

Yes we do have the right to reparations. Nobody got anything after slavery but the whites slaveowner who got reparations for the freed slaves they lost. Go study the impact of slavery on blacks today. Because you are opposing something based on not knowing why.

Woman have been historically underpaid for the same work as men. Am I entitled to reparations because my great grandmother was underpaid for her labor?

bolcs4icqaaeu_.png.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.png

Which ones?

Might just be that the process was in place when the person died?
I'm going to check. I could have sworn they told me their parents had died a year before the payout.

Woman have been historically underpaid for the same work as men. Am I entitled to reparations because my great grandmother was underpaid for her labor?

You do realize that's a stupid ass question. Right?

Forum List

Back