The Supreme Court

lawbuff

Sep 9, 2009
Unofficially welcomed a new member on this day in 1981, Sandra Day O'Connor was confirmed by the Senate 99-0.

The 1st time in US history the Senate voted to confirm a woman. An all male exclusive club until then, she was officially sworn in on Sep. 25.

The SC met in New York city at the Merchant's Exchange building when NY was the semi permanent after 1789, and moved to Philadelphia from 1790-1800.

Intially meeting briefly at IH, then at Old City Hall, just East of IH. Originally with 6 members, the CJ inclusive, when a tie vote was cast, the decision of the lower court stood.

After the permanent seat of govt. moved to Washington, D.C. they met at various places in the U.S. Capitol building, including the Old Supreme Court Chamber and the Old Senate Chamber, where the Dred Scott decision was handed down.

Not until 1935, at the insistance and persuasion of the Chief Justice, former President Taft, did the SC get thier own home.

I had the utmost pleasure to sit in on an oral argument in 1975. It is something I have never forgotten all my life.

I saw, in person, CJ Warren Burger, Thurgood Marshall, William Rehnquist, Lewis Powell, William O. Douglas, Potter Stewart, Harry Blackmun, Byron White and William Brennan.

To see some of the greatest names on the Court, was just a total thrill. I have never failed to tour the SC when in DC, although that was my first and only sit in on an oral argument.

Only 4 or 5 justices have been promoted from within the Court to Chief Justice. As was with current CJ Roberts, he was not a sitting Associate.

Samuel Chase, former CJ decades ago, is on the $10,000.00 bill.

It takes at least 4 out of the 9 Justices to grant Certiorari, called the Rule of 4.

The SC sits behind the East front of the Capitol building, on 1st street.

The West Pediment has the inscription; Equal Justice under law.

The Court starts it's Oct. term soon, on the first Monday in Oct.

Forum List

Back