The Post-Election Fallout Is Going to Be Brutal for the Party That Loses the White House Race

JakeStarkey

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2009
No excuse will be acceptable if the GOP loses the WH: none. We had conservatives, real conservatives, that would have wiped out Clinton. Now we got Comrade Trump, who is likely to lose by historic proportions. And he should if he can't clean up his act. There is no plot to rig the elections, unless the only plot is to report the new inanity Comrade Donald seemingly performs each day.

The Post-Election Fallout Is Going to Be Brutal for the Losing Party in November

In the case of Trump, the nominee’s obnoxious personal attributes will be compounded if he loses by the ideological motives various Republicans have for burying his candidacy and salting the earth around it. “Real conservatives” will have another “I told you so” example of how a departure from the One True Path leads down the primrose path to defeat. Establishment Republicans will try to get the GOP to return to the prescriptions they offered in the post-2012 autopsy report, with its downplaying of cultural issues and its emphasis on friendliness toward Latinos. And the Reformicons, who actually think Trump was striking an essential chord on both immigration and middle-class economics, will be especially exercised in fighting to protect those goals while putting the blame on Trump personally. If Republicans not only lose the White House again but suffer serious down-ballot losses, the battle will be extra loud andfrantic.

A Hillary Clinton loss would affect Democrats a bit differently, insofar as she was the candidate of the Democratic Establishment from the get-go. But Democrats who look at the demographics of Bernie Sanders’s primary voters and see the future, and also credit those polls showing Bernie doing better than Hillary against Trump, will have an ostensibly open-and-shut case that the Donkey Party needs to bury the entire Clinton era of baby-boomer centrism and move left. All that’s missing for this argument is an obvious post-Bernie leader of the progressive Democratic cause (Elizabeth Warren will be 71 in 2020). Meanwhile, centrist Democrats may well argue that a more left-leaning candidate would have done worse than Clinton; they, too, will have a post-Clinton, post-Obama leadership crisis unlessFLOTUS picks up the banner. And if Clinton loses and her party doesn’t make down-ballot gains, there may be legitimate fears of long-term minority status for Democrats (though a Trump presidency could be just what the doctor ordered).

Trump losing actually is in the best interests of conservatives.

The post-Trump GOP can't get here soon enough. A party that is for a smaller federal government, more individual liberty, less spending, and the importance of the nuclear family and values.

Trump represents non of these.

Trump winning would kill the conservative movement for a decade.

The post-Trump GOP can't get here soon enough. A party that is for a smaller federal government, more individual liberty, less spending, and the importance of the nuclear family and values.

It's not even about ideology anymore. It's about keeping the retard from touching himself in public and embarrassing everyone around him at this point.

• Banned
You've never been a conservative Jake.
Once upon a time I was, then the paradigm shifted to the far crazy right. That I am not, you are right, a silly far right conservative.

When our GOP loses this election, the far right contards (the Cruzes) and the hard right cons (the Kasichs) are going to say I told you so.

The crazy rights that just wanted to punish the regular GOP and mainstream leaders are going to pay a very heavy price, just like they did back after the 1964 election when they were sent to the wilderness.

Once upon a time I was, then the paradigm shifted to the far crazy right. That I am not, you are right, a silly far right conservative.

When our GOP loses this election, the far right contards (the Cruzes) and the hard right cons (the Kasichs) are going to say I told you so.

The crazy rights that just wanted to punish the regular GOP and mainstream leaders are going to pay a very heavy price, just like they did back after the 1964 election when they were sent to the wilderness.

I disagree. Trump supporters aren't going anywhere. The GOP has cultivated this sort of rabid wingnut and now the GOP can't win with them because they are repugnant and since the GOP harbored these idiots in the first place they are more than half of the GOP base.

You guys really fucked yourselves and it started with Reagan.

Congratulations for speaking up about it now...a little late.

Meg Whitman just bailed from the GOP and is casting her vote for the best option to ensure Trump is never president. If only more could swallow their pride and do the right thing.

• Banned

I disagree. Trump supporters aren't going anywhere. The GOP has cultivated this sort of rabid wingnut and now the GOP can't win with them because they are repugnant and since the GOP harbored these idiots in the first place they are more than half of the GOP base.

Nope, they are not, but there are far too many of them. Yes, you are right about speaking up. The corporatism and neo-cons and social cons were warned about the racists and nativists attaching themselves to the GOP. In 2020, watch: there will be no more than four or five serious candidates in the mainstream. No one will allow the crazies to have this type of power again.

Let's be honest here. The fall out for the entire world is going to be brutal no matter who is elected.

We are going to war.

Let's be honest here. The fall out for the entire world is going to be brutal no matter who is elected. We are going to war.
We have been at war since 9-11. If you are saying we are sending another huge army overseas, that won't happen.

Nope, they are not, but there are far too many of them. Yes, you are right about speaking up. The corporatism and neo-cons and social cons were warned about the racists and nativists attaching themselves to the GOP. In 2020, watch: there will be no more than four or five serious candidates in the mainstream. No one will allow the crazies to have this type of power again.

2020? What about now? My god, I've never seen so few profiles in courage than I have of so called moderate Republicans. Is the GOP going to nominate Paul Ryan? The biggest wuss of the House who can't even walk back a Trump endorsement? Every single one of them is falling in front of Trump. Cruz destroyed (thankfully) his future and no one other than .....Kasich? Is that who you are holding out for? Considering almost half of the GOP is solidly behind Trump, Kasich is dead in the water.

That's all in the future though. If you really think the GOP can move above and beyond Trump (win or lose, they can't) and that is what is going to save the party then why are you throwing your vote away? News for you, voting for a perpetual losing candidate is not saving your party from Trump.

Jake, the GOP was warned about what would happen when they catered to the far right many years ago. Specifically by Bill Buckley. They would have been wise to listen to him.

Jake, the GOP was warned about what would happen when they catered to the far right many years ago. Specifically by Bill Buckley. They would have been wise to listen to him.

Trump is a lefty.

Trump is a lefty.

No he's not. Trump believes in the ideology of himself. He's neither conservative or liberal.

No excuse will be acceptable if the GOP loses the WH: none. We had conservatives, real conservatives, that would have wiped out Clinton. Now we got Comrade Trump, who is likely to lose by historic proportions. And he should if he can't clean up his act. There is no plot to rig the elections, unless the only plot is to report the new inanity Comrade Donald seemingly performs each day.

The Post-Election Fallout Is Going to Be Brutal for the Losing Party in November

In the case of Trump, the nominee’s obnoxious personal attributes will be compounded if he loses by the ideological motives various Republicans have for burying his candidacy and salting the earth around it. “Real conservatives” will have another “I told you so” example of how a departure from the One True Path leads down the primrose path to defeat. Establishment Republicans will try to get the GOP to return to the prescriptions they offered in the post-2012 autopsy report, with its downplaying of cultural issues and its emphasis on friendliness toward Latinos. And the Reformicons, who actually think Trump was striking an essential chord on both immigration and middle-class economics, will be especially exercised in fighting to protect those goals while putting the blame on Trump personally. If Republicans not only lose the White House again but suffer serious down-ballot losses, the battle will be extra loud andfrantic.

A Hillary Clinton loss would affect Democrats a bit differently, insofar as she was the candidate of the Democratic Establishment from the get-go. But Democrats who look at the demographics of Bernie Sanders’s primary voters and see the future, and also credit those polls showing Bernie doing better than Hillary against Trump, will have an ostensibly open-and-shut case that the Donkey Party needs to bury the entire Clinton era of baby-boomer centrism and move left. All that’s missing for this argument is an obvious post-Bernie leader of the progressive Democratic cause (Elizabeth Warren will be 71 in 2020). Meanwhile, centrist Democrats may well argue that a more left-leaning candidate would have done worse than Clinton; they, too, will have a post-Clinton, post-Obama leadership crisis unlessFLOTUS picks up the banner. And if Clinton loses and her party doesn’t make down-ballot gains, there may be legitimate fears of long-term minority status for Democrats (though a Trump presidency could be just what the doctor ordered).
Hillary won't lose.

Trump will lose.

We have been in this situation before with Goldwater and LBJ.

Goldwater and Trump are/were both wacko's and everybody knew it.

If the GOP can keep control of either the Senate or House they will survive just fine until 2020.

If the GOP loses everything then they are dog meat, yes. Then yes.

Barry Goldwater - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The GOP will never recover unless it rids itself of its racist moron base .. thus losing half of its constituency.

Will they do that .. who knows .. but if it doesn't, it will be reduced and diminished as a major party.

2020? What about now? My god, I've never seen so few profiles in courage than I have of so called moderate Republicans. Is the GOP going to nominate Paul Ryan? The biggest wuss of the House who can't even walk back a Trump endorsement? Every single one of them is falling in front of Trump. Cruz destroyed (thankfully) his future and no one other than .....Kasich? Is that who you are holding out for? Considering almost half of the GOP is solidly behind Trump, Kasich is dead in the water. That's all in the future though. If you really think the GOP can move above and beyond Trump (win or lose, they can't) and that is what is going to save the party then why are you throwing your vote away? News for you, voting for a perpetual losing candidate is not saving your party from Trump.
Aren't you the silly one? Trump is a blow by in history. Our GOP will recover just fine, as did yours from McGovern.

2020? What about now? My god, I've never seen so few profiles in courage than I have of so called moderate Republicans. Is the GOP going to nominate Paul Ryan? The biggest wuss of the House who can't even walk back a Trump endorsement? Every single one of them is falling in front of Trump. Cruz destroyed (thankfully) his future and no one other than .....Kasich? Is that who you are holding out for? Considering almost half of the GOP is solidly behind Trump, Kasich is dead in the water. That's all in the future though. If you really think the GOP can move above and beyond Trump (win or lose, they can't) and that is what is going to save the party then why are you throwing your vote away? News for you, voting for a perpetual losing candidate is not saving your party from Trump.
Aren't you the silly one? Trump is a blow by in history. Our GOP will recover just fine, as did yours from McGovern.

There is little resemblance between McGovern and Trump. I don't so the Democratic party looking back at McGovern with embarrassment. I don't see Democrats having to excuse McGovern's campaign or the votes that he did receive, he simply got his ass kicked.

Trump is different. At some point the Republican party has to forcefully make a turn away from Trump. That doesn't happen with non-endorsement endorsements. It doesn't happen by giving up and voting for a pseudo politician running under the banner of a pseudo political party and ideology. The GOP will only overcome Trump, Trumpism and far right wing morons by directly confronting them. Or, leave the party when you lose.

FYI, the Libertarian party is not the party of moderate Republicans. Vote to get rid of Trump by not throwing your vote away and risking the absolute death of the GOP by not doing enough to get rid of Trump. Solve that problem firs, requires some amount of maturity and foresight to do so, I grant you that. Then again, it's moderate Republicans who stood by and let their party be taken from them to begin with so I feel no sympathy for you guys.

Forum List

Back