the new sweet wine - or Federweißer in Germany - and Sturm in Austria

Zebra

Gold Member
May 29, 2023
The new sweet wine - or Federweißer in Germany - and Sturm in Austria

It is now in season.

Do you know it?

Nah, I just know Old Cuban Man Strawberry wine.

It's sweet and great!

I don't know that one, but if you happen to have any 1976 Chateau D'yquem ready to uncork, I would be willing to help you drink it.

The new sweet wine or Federweißer in Germany or Sturm in Austria is something completely different.

I have now found an English text about it:

Federweisser (also Federweißer , from German Feder, "feather", and weiß, "white"; from the appearance of the suspended yeast, also known as Sturm, from German Sturm, storm in Austria), is an alcoholic beverage, typically 9% alcohol by volume, although versions of up to 13.5% alcohol by volume are not uncommon. (In contrast to all other alcoholic beverages, the alcohol content stated on a bottle of Federweisser is inconclusive, and presents an uppermost limit, not the actual content at any given time.) It is the product of fermented freshly pressed grape juice, known as must. The term in principle includes all stages of fermentation from must to finished wine.

Across continental Europe, it is known as Suser, Sauser, Neuer Süßer (new sweet), or Junger Wein (young wine) in Southwest Germany, Switzerland and South Tyrol, Fiederwäissen in Luxembourg, Sturm (storm, from the cloudy appearance) in Austria, Federweißer in Bavaria, Neuer Wein (new wine) in the Palatinate, Federweiser in Franconia

Forum List

Back