The Landmine In Labeling Someone ‘Black’

PGreen

Nov 24, 2014
In a recent study researchers found that these two racial labels have a disparate impact on how minority social groups are perceived by whites. The data they collected point to whites believing that the label “Black” evokes a mental representation of a person with lower socioeconomic status, education, positivity, competence and warmth than the label “African-American.” And whites “will react more negatively” toward “Blacks” than toward “African-Americans.”

The landmine in labeling someone black - The Washington Post

Personally, I think there is only one kind of racism, that we'll never get rid of, blacks racist against whites... That's accepted and promoted everyday by the liberal media!

But it's OK to broad brush stroke out a 'white' label, yeah?

I mean, all people who aren't black are white and vice versa. This is the type of shallow thinking that keeps people dividd based off indoctrinated perceptions.

I mean, all people who aren't black are white and vice versa. This is the type of shallow thinking that keeps people dividd based off indoctrinated perceptions.

Yeah, all those negative connotations associated with white. Like White Magic, Villians that wear White Hats, White Cats, etc

Yeah, all those negative connotations associated with white. Like White Magic, Villians that wear White Hats, White Cats, etc

You seem to believe 'white' is a negative. That whites suppress blacks. That whites have a privilege unseen, but granted by whiteness.

The problem is, that labeling someone white doesn't say anything about an individual.

You seem to believe 'white' is a negative.

Huh? Dude I just said "White Magic" do you not understand that there is no such thing? Its called Black Magic...black being the negative?

That whites suppress blacks.

I didnt say that...they just have less giveadam and believe blacks are lying about everything

That whites have a privilege unseen, but granted by whiteness.

Do they not? Doesnt the majority always have privilege over the minority in every instance of everything in the world.

The problem is, that labeling someone white doesn't say anything about an individual.

Dude, are you high? This is about labeling someone black

No, it's about labeling - period.

There is too such a thing as white magic. Black magic is seen as 'negative' because of the ageless fight of good and evil. Which was first represented in human culture as night verse day.

And white people do not gain any privilege for being white. There are other socio-economic standards that can dictate whether or not someone is provided as a perceived privilege. These can be granted to anyone. Even 'black' people.

There is too such a thing as white magic. Black magic is seen as 'negative' because of the ageless fight of good and evil. Which was first represented in human culture as night verse day.

And white people do not gain any privilege for being white. There are other socio-economic standards that can dictate whether or not someone is provided as a perceived privilege. These can be granted to anyone. Even 'black' people.

So you're saying there is privilege? or there is no privilege?

I'm saying there is no privilege based on white or black. Or even green. You're just too stuck in the black white debate to realize it. There are two 'colors' in your world and nothing more.

I'm saying there is no privilege based on white or black. Or even green. You're just too stuck in the black white debate to realize it. There are two 'colors' in your world and nothing more.

So there is privilege you just disagree with the white black label. How about Privilege of those of European decent?

So there is privilege you just disagree with the white black label. How about Privilege of those of European decent?

Nope.

Nope.

Privilege of the Majority?

Nope.

Nope. More like privileges associated with being raised in a family that gave more opportunities than others. This goes beyond any racial distinction. There is also those types of socio-economic privileges for people who work extra hard to receive them, even if they were brought up in very poor (in all ways) conditions. White, black, green, etc...

Nope.

Nope. More like privileges associated with being raised in a family that gave more opportunities than others. This goes beyond any racial distinction. There is also those types of socio-economic privileges for people who work extra hard to receive them, even if they were brought up in very poor (in all ways) conditions. White, black, green, etc...

aaactually it doesnt. If being raised in a family that gave more opportunitys is the bar then how can you deny that whites have that and blacks were legally prevented from doing the same.

It seems you just have a problem with stating that in two words: White Privilege.

But the concept and explanation describing white privilege is fine

Nope.

aaactually it doesnt. If being raised in a family that gave more opportunitys is the bar then how can you deny that whites have that and blacks were legally prevented from doing the same.

It seems you just have a problem with stating that in two words: White Privilege.

Blacks were legally prevented that. Key word - 'were'. That's not the case now and hasn't been the case for a long, long time. Get with the now and stop living in pre-1860s time.

By the way, did you know that 'white' people were slaves too? True story.

Nope.

Blacks were legally prevented that. Key word - 'were'.

Exactly!!! So why are you pretending that prevention didnt equate whites having more privilege than blacks? Do you think passing on wealth only benefits one generation?

That's not the case now and hasn't been the case for a long, long time. Get with the now and stop living in pre-1860s time.

Dude the Civil Rights Era was just 70 years ago. Maybe you think the Civil Rights marches happened in the 1860's

And the concept of white privilege is stupid. People are more than welcome to self deprecate or believe they are oppressed by someone else all they want. It doesn't make any of it so.

But again, you like these labels, you like these 'concepts' because it gives you someone to place the blame on other than yourself. I get it.

I'm from a poor 'white' trash family. I have a brother who still is in that. I have a sister that is not. I am not. I have a good friend who grew up in a great family. He has done well for himself. Really well. He is 'black'.

These brush strokes about white and black mean absolutely nothing to anyone except those promoting them.

Blacks were legally prevented that. Key word - 'were'.

Exactly!!! So why are you pretending that prevention didnt equate whites having more privilege than blacks? Do you think passing on wealth only benefits one generation?

That's not the case now and hasn't been the case for a long, long time. Get with the now and stop living in pre-1860s time.

Dude the Civil Rights Era was just 70 years ago. Maybe you think the Civil Rights marches happened in the 1860's

Are you saying that 'black' people were legally not allowed to have a good family, own a business, get an education, etc.. before the 1960s?

And the concept of white privilege is stupid. People are more than welcome to self deprecate or believe they are oppressed by someone else all they want. It doesn't make any of it so.

So now you are going against your own definition of Privilege? Its not that I believe blacks have been oppressed its a matter of record that it is so.

But again, you like these labels, you like these 'concepts' because it gives you someone to place the blame on other than yourself. I get it.

Why are you ignoring what I said. Are you now going against your own definition of Privilege or not? Because if you are going to argue with yourself I can just watch instead.

I'm from a poor 'white' trash family. I have a brother who still is in that. I have a sister that is not. I am not. I have a good friend who grew up in a great family. He has done well for himself. Really well. He is 'black'.

These brush strokes about white and black mean absolutely nothing to anyone except those promoting them.

Yeah you know a black guy doing well but this isnt about one black guy and your white family. This is about society as a whole...that one black guy isnt the norm and neither is your story. Thats why I dont do personal anecdotes

Forum List

Back