The Landmine In Labeling Someone ‘Black’

Privilege of the Majority?

Nope. More like privileges associated with being raised in a family that gave more opportunities than others. This goes beyond any racial distinction. There is also those types of socio-economic privileges for people who work extra hard to receive them, even if they were brought up in very poor (in all ways) conditions. White, black, green, etc...

aaactually it doesnt. If being raised in a family that gave more opportunitys is the bar then how can you deny that whites have that and blacks were legally prevented from doing the same.

It seems you just have a problem with stating that in two words: White Privilege.

But the concept and explanation describing white privilege is fine

Blacks were legally prevented that. Key word - 'were'.

Exactly!!! So why are you pretending that prevention didnt equate whites having more privilege than blacks? Do you think passing on wealth only benefits one generation?

That's not the case now and hasn't been the case for a long, long time. Get with the now and stop living in pre-1860s time.

By the way, did you know that 'white' people were slaves too? True story.

Dude the Civil Rights Era was just 70 years ago. Maybe you think the Civil Rights marches happened in the 1860's

Are you saying that 'black' people were legally not allowed to have a good family, own a business, get an education, etc.. before the 1960s?

Its kinda hard to own a business and get an education when for a long time it was illegal for blacks to learn to read. ILLEGAL

Then it wasnt legal but not punished when black homes, churches and business' were burned to the ground.

So yes they could and many did despite the obstacles. But you are pretending that the obstacles never existed...or maybe you just dont know about them because it was "sooo long ago"

Nativist period 1700s–1860[edit]
for information about riots worldwide, see List of riots.
Rioting against African Americans results in thousands leaving for Canada.
Civil War period 1861–1865[edit]
Post–Civil War and Reconstruction period: 1865–1889[edit]
Irish and German-American indigent immigrants, temporarily interned at Wards Island by the Commissioners of Emigration, begin rioting following an altercation between two residents, resulting in thirty men seriously wounded and around sixty arrested.[6]
  • 1870: Eutaw, Alabama
  • 1870: Laurens, South Carolina
  • 1870: Kirk-Holden war: Alamance County, North Carolina
Federal troops, led by Col. Kirk and requested by NC governor Holden, were sent to extinguish racial violence. Holden was eventually impeached because of the offensive.
Violence occurs between striking members of a miners' union in Scranton, Pennsylvania when Welsh miners attack Irish and German-American miners who chose to leave the union and accept the terms offered by local mining companies.[7]
In one of the largest civil disturbances in the city's history, fighting between Swedish, Hungarian and Polish immigrants results in the shooting death of one man and injuring several others before broken up by police.[8]
Jim Crow period: 1890–1914[edit]
Further information: Nadir of American race relations
See also: Ku Klux Klan
A lynch mob storms a local jail and hangs several Italians following the acquittal of several Sicilian immigrants alleged to be involved in the murder of New Orleans police chief David Hennessy.
10,000 white people storm the local courthouse to beat and lynch Joe Coe, who was alleged to have raped a white child.
Two groups of Irish and Italian-Americans are arrested by police after a half hour of hurling bricks and shooting at each other resulting from a barroom brawl when visiting Italian patrons refused to pay for their drinks at a local saloon. After the mob is dispersed by police, five Italians are arrested while two others are sent to a local hospital.[9]
Much of the violence in this national strike was not specifically racial, but in Iowa, where the employees of Consolidation Coal Company (Iowa) refused to join the strike, armed confrontation between strikers and strike breakers took on racial overtones because the majority of Consolidation's employees were African American. The National Guard was mobilized just in time to avert open warfare.[10][11][12]
Angered towards the recent hiring of African-American workers, a group of between 80 and 100 Arab laborers attack a group of African-American workers near the Freeman & Hammond brick yard with numerous men injured on both sides.[13]
Anti-Semitic riots involving Irish factory workers, city policemen and thousands of Jews attending Jacob Joseph's funeral
  • 1906: Little Rock, Arkansas
Started when a white police officer in Argenta killed a black musician in a bathroom, causing the burning down of half a block of burned down commercial buildings and two black residencies, as well as the departure of many blacks as white men taking arms ran down the street.[14]
A successful Greek immigrant community in South Omaha, Nebraska is burnt to the ground and its residents are forced to leave town.[15]
War and Inter-War period: 1914–1945[edit]
Further information: Nadir of American race relations

So now you are going against your own definition of Privilege?
I did no such thing. I have made it clear there are privileges associated with socio-economics. Anyone, even 'blacks' can attain them. It's not a 'white' privilege.

Its not that I believe blacks have been oppressed its a matter of record that it is so.

Yep. That took place up until the 1860s. It also wasn't for everyone. There are also records of 'blacks' who owned their own businesses even as early as 1810 (probably even earlier should I care to find out).

So again, your broad brush strokes really only apply to those who promote them.

But you are pretending that the obstacles never existed...or maybe you just dont know about them because it was "sooo long ago"

Or maybe you're just using broad brush strokes to paint your picture. I never said there weren't obstacles. Everyone has obstacles to overcome. But you're mind is made up so paint that picture with a roller if you want. Only one color needed.

I did no such thing. I have made it clear there are privileges associated with socio-economics. Anyone, even 'blacks' can attain them. It's not a 'white' privilege.

Is there someone here who is saying black CANNOT attain them or that its historically been harder for blacks to attain them?

Yep. That took place up until the 1860s. It also wasn't for everyone. There are also records of 'blacks' who owned their own businesses even as early as 1810 (probably even earlier should I care to find out).

So Jim Crow wasnt oppression?

Good god you live in endless victimhood.

Yes, yes. And this has to do with my point, how exactly? How were black people able to own businesses, attain fortunes and raise families in the 1800s if the privilege is for 'white'? How is this even possible?

How could 'white' people be slaves? What about their privilege?

Is there someone here who is saying black CANNOT attain them or that its historically been harder for blacks to attain them?

Why are you so adamant about calling it white privilege if you understand that not all white people received it and that black people did receive it? Doesn't that fucking ruin your argument entirely? Or are you ready to agree that there is no white privilege. There are privileges that SOME people, of all colors and sizes, receive in socio-economics. There skin color, in general, has nothing to do with it.

Yes, yes. And this has to do with my point, how exactly? How were black people able to own businesses, attain fortunes and raise families in the 1800s if the privilege is for 'white'? How is this even possible?

White privilege doesnt mean that no one else anywhere were able to live and succeed lol

Was Jim Crow oppression because that was just like a couple decades ago and you seem to have missed an entire 100 years

White privilege doesnt mean that no one else anywhere were able to live and succeed lol

Was Jim Crow oppression because that was just like a couple decades ago and you seem to have missed an entire 100 years

So you agree there is no such thing as white privilege. Thanks. Glad we could get that all cleared up. Refreshing to see that.

Why are you so adamant about calling it white privilege if you understand that not all white people received it and that black people did receive it? Doesn't that fucking ruin your argument entirely? Or are you ready to agree that there is no white privilege. There are privileges that SOME people, of all colors and sizes, receive in socio-economics. There skin color, in general, has nothing to do with it.

Because privilege doesnt mean that everyone in that group will be doing good guaranteed. Dont you know there are no guarantees?

Because privilege doesnt mean that everyone in that group will be doing good guaranteed. Dont you know there are no guarantees?

I do. Thanks for destroying your own argument. There is no white privilege. There are socio-economic privileges people may inherit, or they may obtain by hard work.

That means theres no such thing as privilege at all because the entire family has to do well in order to fit your newest definition of privilege

I have made it clear there are privileges associated with socio-economics. Anyone, even 'blacks' can attain them. It's not a 'white' privilege.

Sorry Takeastep..You're wrong

I do. Thanks for destroying your own argument. There is no white privilege. There are socio-economic privileges people may inherit, or they may obtain by hard work.

But if everyone in that family doesnt succeed then that erases the privilege and it never existed or something...

That means theres no such thing as privilege at all because the entire family has to do well in order to fit your newest definition of privilege

Jesus, you're stupid. That is not what I said. The whole family does not have to do well in life for privileges in socio-economics to be received.

The last refuge of someone thorough defeated. Hell, you did most of the work all on your own.

Have a good one.

Jesus, you're stupid. That is not what I said. The whole family does not have to do well in life for privileges in socio-economics to be received.

The last refuge of someone thorough defeated. Hell, you did most of the work all on your own.

Have a good one.

Well if they fail or every member isnt successful you said the privilege doesnt exist. Like all white people have to be doing well for their to be white privilege.

Have a good one.

Well if they fail or every member isnt successful you said the privilege doesnt exist. Like all white people have to be doing well for their to be white privilege.

So I tell you that's wrong and you repeat it. Socio-economic privileges are received by an individual, NOT a family. A family MAY help an individual obtain them, but that doesn't mean it's the only way they can be obtained.

So again, yes, people can receive privileges. What they are not, are white privileges. Not all whites receive them, soo saying that it is a white privilege is a deliberate denigration against white people.

How can it be white privilege if not all white people receive them? How the FUCK do black people receive white privilege?

Do you understand how fucking stupid this all sounds?

Families cant pass on money. Ok

There are privileges but their are no white privileges because the history of preventing blacks from having and allowing whites to have was not passed on to their family. Or was not a privilege because take says so

No, white privilege is what happens when you help whites and prevent blacks from doing the same

Because privilege has nothign to do with EVERYONE in that group doing well. There are things called personal choices. Maybe personal choices arent a factor anymore...because...take says so

Yes, you sound rather stupid to believe theres no such thing as white privilege unless and until ALL WHITES EVERYWHERE ARE DOING WELL. LOL

Here: White privilege (or white skin privilege) is a term for societal privileges that benefit white people in western countries beyond what is commonly experienced by the non-white people under the same social, political, or economic circumstances.[note 1] These privileges are unearned and are distributed based on values of the dominant group, which in the west is white people.[1] According to McIntosh and Lee, whites in a society considered culturally a part of the Western World enjoy advantages that non-whites do not experience.[1] This leads to the controversy over whether or not White people should be able to enjoy these privileges. The term denotes both obvious and less obvious passive advantages that white persons may not recognize they have, which distinguishes it from overt bias or prejudice.[2] These include cultural affirmations of one's own worth; presumed greater social status; and freedom to move, buy, work, play, and speak freely.[1] The effects can be seen in professional, educational, and personal contexts.[3] The concept of white privilege also implies the right to assume the universality of one's own experiences, marking others as different or exceptional while perceiving oneself as normal.[4][5]

I'm saying there is no privilege based on white or black. Or even green. You're just too stuck in the black white debate to realize it. There are two 'colors' in your world and nothing more.

So there is privilege you just disagree with the white black label. How about Privilege of those of European decent?

Nope.

Privilege of the Majority?

Nope. More like privileges associated with being raised in a family that gave more opportunities than others. This goes beyond any racial distinction. There is also those types of socio-economic privileges for people who work extra hard to receive them, even if they were brought up in very poor (in all ways) conditions. White, black, green, etc...

aaactually it doesnt. If being raised in a family that gave more opportunitys is the bar then how can you deny that whites have that and blacks were legally prevented from doing the same.

It seems you just have a problem with stating that in two words: White Privilege.

But the concept and explanation describing white privilege is fine
I'm black and successful. I have helped my children with all the privileges I could. No one prevents me, legally or otherwise.

And the concept of white privilege is stupid. People are more than welcome to self deprecate or believe they are oppressed by someone else all they want. It doesn't make any of it so.

So now you are going against your own definition of Privilege? Its not that I believe blacks have been oppressed its a matter of record that it is so.

But again, you like these labels, you like these 'concepts' because it gives you someone to place the blame on other than yourself. I get it.

Why are you ignoring what I said. Are you now going against your own definition of Privilege or not? Because if you are going to argue with yourself I can just watch instead.

I'm from a poor 'white' trash family. I have a brother who still is in that. I have a sister that is not. I am not. I have a good friend who grew up in a great family. He has done well for himself. Really well. He is 'black'.

These brush strokes about white and black mean absolutely nothing to anyone except those promoting them.

Yeah you know a black guy doing well but this isnt about one black guy and your white family. This is about society as a whole...that one black guy isnt the norm and neither is your story. Thats why I dont do personal anecdotes
No, you do blanket statements that evade the actual issues.

And the concept of white privilege is stupid. People are more than welcome to self deprecate or believe they are oppressed by someone else all they want. It doesn't make any of it so.

So now you are going against your own definition of Privilege? Its not that I believe blacks have been oppressed its a matter of record that it is so.

But again, you like these labels, you like these 'concepts' because it gives you someone to place the blame on other than yourself. I get it.

Why are you ignoring what I said. Are you now going against your own definition of Privilege or not? Because if you are going to argue with yourself I can just watch instead.

I'm from a poor 'white' trash family. I have a brother who still is in that. I have a sister that is not. I am not. I have a good friend who grew up in a great family. He has done well for himself. Really well. He is 'black'.

These brush strokes about white and black mean absolutely nothing to anyone except those promoting them.

Yeah you know a black guy doing well but this isnt about one black guy and your white family. This is about society as a whole...that one black guy isnt the norm and neither is your story. Thats why I dont do personal anecdotes
No, you do blanket statements that evade the actual issues.

Such as

Forum List

Back