The gender-neutral pronoun in English

TheParser

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2017
If a teacher were speaking to a class of male and female students, that teacher would be in BIG trouble if that teacher said something like: "Tomorrow everyone must bring his book to class. If he does not, I will give him a bad mark."

One is expected to say either:

1. "Tomorrow everyone must bring their book to class. If they don't, I will give them a bad mark."

2. "Tomorrow everyone must bring his or her book to class. If she or he doesn't, I will give him or her a bad mark."

I have noticed that a few (so far) speakers and writers are now using "she" as the gender-neutral pronoun.

For example (to a class with both genders): "Tomorrow everyone must bring her book to class. If she doesn't, I will give her a bad mark."

Nobody seems to complain.

In fact, the speaker/writer is often praised.

If a teacher were speaking to a class of male and female students, that teacher would be in BIG trouble if that teacher said something like: "Tomorrow everyone must bring his book to class. If he does not, I will give him a bad mark."

1. "Tomorrow everyone must bring their book to class. If they don't, I will give them a bad mark."

2. "Tomorrow everyone must bring his or her book to class. If she or he doesn't, I will give him or her a bad mark."

I have noticed that a few (so far) speakers and writers are now using "she" as the gender-neutral pronoun.

For example (to a class with both genders): "Tomorrow everyone must bring her book to class. If she doesn't, I will give her a bad mark."

I use they all the time if I don't want to give the gender away.

I am a computer-illiterate senior citizen, Mac. I do not understand what that face means.

the all embracing HE was ok when I was a kid in grammar school-----but I do
have a little complaint-------I was one of five sibs-----the only girl. My mom----
when moving us around always said "COM'ON BOYS"

Pffft. Expectations be damned.

I refuse to change my choice of spoken or written words on the whim of a few sexually confused people. In the same sense that "mankind" is all-encompassing, "he" is fully acceptable to the rational mind.

Forum List

Back