The gender-neutral pronoun in English

Dude. Gender neutral pronoun. If you don't believe me, go to California, everyone is "dude".
They use barny and betty for boy and girl. But yes many salutations are just dude.
I saw this gender nuetral crap discussed on the TV show "Shameless" confused the hell out of me. It appeared the people in the shameless group were just looking for reasons to bitch. They say my pronoun is this or that, and they exspect you to know this upfront or they are offended. No way to know up front and neither I nor any one else has the time to remember thier preferences. It seemed to me they were just looking for an excuse to be miserable.

Last edited:
If someone is offended by my referring to that person as "him or her" then that is a person I don't want to know anyways. I'm glad they are offended, and they can go . . . you know. :D

Zim and Zer. Little do these idiots realize, that once those are used, they will also be considered "gender specific" pronouns. Lol! These are just people who are not worth the trouble they cause.

All y'all kids need to brang y'all's books to class tamorry. You split tails too!

If a teacher were speaking to a class of male and female students, that teacher would be in BIG trouble if that teacher said something like: "Tomorrow everyone must bring his book to class. If he does not, I will give him a bad mark."

One is expected to say either:

1. "Tomorrow everyone must bring their book to class. If they don't, I will give them a bad mark."

2. "Tomorrow everyone must bring his or her book to class. If she or he doesn't, I will give him or her a bad mark."

I have noticed that a few (so far) speakers and writers are now using "she" as the gender-neutral pronoun.

For example (to a class with both genders): "Tomorrow everyone must bring her book to class. If she doesn't, I will give her a bad mark."

Nobody seems to complain.

In fact, the speaker/writer is often praised.

She has been used for years as a gender neutral word, duh...Just like Motherland and Fatherland are not gender specific.....They call ships a her...Why? I have no fucking idea but you guys think language usage is set in stone, it's not, it's fluid......

If a teacher were speaking to a class of male and female students, that teacher would be in BIG trouble if that teacher said something like: "Tomorrow everyone must bring his book to class. If he does not, I will give him a bad mark."

1. "Tomorrow everyone must bring their book to class. If they don't, I will give them a bad mark."

2. "Tomorrow everyone must bring his or her book to class. If she or he doesn't, I will give him or her a bad mark."

I have noticed that a few (so far) speakers and writers are now using "she" as the gender-neutral pronoun.

For example (to a class with both genders): "Tomorrow everyone must bring her book to class. If she doesn't, I will give her a bad mark."

She has been used for years as a gender neutral word, duh...Just like Motherland and Fatherland are not gender specific.....They call ships a her...Why? I have no fucking idea but you guys think language usage is set in stone, it's not, it's fluid......
Then these questions need to be directed to a plumber who know’s his/her/its/their shit.

Then these questions need to be directed to a plumber who know’s his/her/its/their shit.
If they know their shit they will talk in proper English with and proper English accent...Invoking the Queen's English prerogative...

If they know their shit they will talk in proper English with and proper English accent...Invoking the Queen's English prerogative...
Are you a plumber?

Are you a plumber?
No, just a stooopid bricklayer....

Are you a plumber?

Must be with all the butt crack!

Are you a plumber?

Must be with all the butt crack!
Jelly...

To use the word she and her in the gender neutral sense is impossible and misleading, because these a female words directed at females. So the last command is an error, and frees males from bringing the books.

However, there is a newly invented true gender neutral word in English, and that is ze and zer, instead of she and her.

There are only he and she, and an occasional girlie man and butchy boy.

Let’s make this easy. The teacher should say bring your text book to class.

Forum List

Back