Age - related Deterioration

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
One of the depressing things about facebook is seeing the babes I grew up with turning into haggard old ladies - usually fat ones.

I know, I know, I don't look the same as I did when I was younger, but I have the advantage of never having been pretty to start with.

It really makes you appreciate the older women who take care of themselves - and the magic of well - applied makeup.

I guess I'll never grow out of being shallow.

You know, I'm kinda grateful for the way I lived my life into my 40's. When I was a kid, I hiked and biked all over the place.

The last half of my Navy career, I got rid of my car and switched to a bicycle for getting around. Not only was I able to get to work faster than people with cars in some places (Norfolk NOB comes readily to mind, my neighbors left at 5:30 or 6 to make it into work by 7:30. Me? I left my house at around 6:30 and was at work in around 20 min. Why? Because on a bicycle you can white line the traffic and get through the gate faster).

Ended up averaging 50 to 100 miles/day for over 9 years.

Now? I'm going to be 54, and at my last physical, both the doctor and nurse at the VA were impressed that I didn't take any kind of medicine, and that I was as healthy as I am.

Lots of grey hair, but I still look good.

You know, I'm kinda grateful for the way I lived my life into my 40's. When I was a kid, I hiked and biked all over the place.

The last half of my Navy career, I got rid of my car and switched to a bicycle for getting around. Not only was I able to get to work faster than people with cars in some places (Norfolk NOB comes readily to mind, my neighbors left at 5:30 or 6 to make it into work by 7:30. Me? I left my house at around 6:30 and was at work in around 20 min. Why? Because on a bicycle you can white line the traffic and get through the gate faster).

Now? I'm going to be 54, and at my last physical, both the doctor and nurse at the VA were impressed that I didn't take any kind of medicine, and that I was as healthy as I am.

I wore out my last bike riding on rough roads where I live but now that I've had my back surgery I plan on getting a more rugged bike to peddle my ass again...I'll be 57 on my next birfday in June, but little gray....

I'm in my fifties and have held up pretty well. Still, if some guy I went to high school with, who still thinks like a teenager, sees me, he'd say, ew she's old.

There's a difference between being old and being a grown up. Some people just take longer than others in figuring that out. FB helps to point out which we are. LOL

I wore out my last bike riding on rough roads where I live but now that I've had my back surgery I plan on getting a more rugged bike to peddle my ass again...I'll be 57 on my next birfday in June, but little gray....

You know, my recommendation would be for you to switch to a decent road bike. You can get a pretty fair one for 600 to 1000 dollars, and they will last you a long time.

Currently, I'm riding a 1997 Lemond Zurich with Campagnolo Chorus ergopower gruppo, Mavic Cosmic aero rims, Speedplay pedals, a Selle Italia titanium seat, and Modolo anatomic handlebars.

Been riding that thing since 1997, and it still holds up very well. A tune up once in a while, and she's cherry.

You know, my recommendation would be for you to switch to a decent road bike. You can get a pretty fair one for 600 to 1000 dollars, and they will last you a long time.

Currently, I'm riding a 1997 Lemond Zurich with Campagnolo Chorus ergopower gruppo, Mavic Cosmic aero rims, Speedplay pedals, a Selle Italia titanium seat, and Modolo anatomic handlebars.

Been riding that thing since 1997, and it still holds up very well. A tune up once in a while, and she's cherry.
So they get the whole nomenclature on the body of the bike for advertising?

I think I should take up biking. I turned 57 on the 11th and had a heart attack on the 22.

Clearly, some lifestyle changes are in order.

So they get the whole nomenclature on the body of the bike for advertising?

Actually, yeah. Lemond Zurich is on the frame, with the head badge reading Trek. My components like derailers, shift and brake levers and brakes all say Campagnolo, and my wheels which are about 1 1/2 inches deep and shaped like an airplane wing have enough room to display Mavic Cosmic on the side of the rims. Can't read the brand of the saddle anymore, it's been worn off.

The pedals, well...............they don't have the name displayed prominently, but they are very distinctive looking clipless pedals. One of the nicknames for them is "lollipop pedals" because that is what they look like.

One of the reasons that the companies display their name on their products so prominently is that they are professional racing components, and so is the frame.

I think I should take up biking. I turned 57 on the 11th and had a heart attack on the 22.

You know, one of the reasons I started bicycling was that I had failed a PRT test one cycle. So, I started cycling, and about 8 months later, I was scoring outstanding on the PRT test.

One of the things I tried to do was to bike from each duty station to the next. One time, because I had transferred from Jacksonville FL to Newport RI during Feb, I bought a car and drove it to Newport, sold it a month or two later, and that summer, I took 2 weeks of leave and rented a car that I drove to Jacksonville, but then rode my bike back from Jacksonville to Newport. 1100 miles in 12 days, and a hell of a trip. While I was on leave, the command got a new OIC (Officer In Charge), and when I returned, he called me into his office.

He looked at me, and said "Are you the insane person who drove a car to Jacksonville and rode a bicycle back?" I said yes, and then he told me (not asked) that I was his new PRT coordinator for the command.

My recommendation? A bicycle is very good for exercise because it is low impact but still offers a good cardio workout. It also saves your knees from blowing out because there is no stress on the. Start out with around 3 miles every other day, and gradually build yourself up after a month so that you can ride 3 miles every day, and then, when you get to that point, start building up your daily mileage.

Kinda how I started out..........riding back and forth to work, but as I got stronger and faster, I started to see how far I could really ride. A year after I started, I was ranked 20 in the city of Memphis for amateurs. Covered 10 miles in about 23 min. Was averaging damn near 30 mph for the entire course.

You know, one of the reasons I started bicycling was that I had failed a PRT test one cycle. So, I started cycling, and about 8 months later, I was scoring outstanding on the PRT test.

One of the things I tried to do was to bike from each duty station to the next. One time, because I had transferred from Jacksonville FL to Newport RI during Feb, I bought a car and drove it to Newport, sold it a month or two later, and that summer, I took 2 weeks of leave and rented a car that I drove to Jacksonville, but then rode my bike back from Jacksonville to Newport. 1100 miles in 12 days, and a hell of a trip. While I was on leave, the command got a new OIC (Officer In Charge), and when I returned, he called me into his office.

He looked at me, and said "Are you the insane person who drove a car to Jacksonville and rode a bicycle back?" I said yes, and then he told me (not asked) that I was his new PRT coordinator for the command.

My recommendation? A bicycle is very good for exercise because it is low impact but still offers a good cardio workout. It also saves your knees from blowing out because there is no stress on the. Start out with around 3 miles every other day, and gradually build yourself up after a month so that you can ride 3 miles every day, and then, when you get to that point, start building up your daily mileage.

Kinda how I started out..........riding back and forth to work, but as I got stronger and faster, I started to see how far I could really ride. A year after I started, I was ranked 20 in the city of Memphis for amateurs. Covered 10 miles in about 23 min. Was averaging damn near 30 mph for the entire course.
Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

----------------------------------------- i'm old if 68 is old and broken up from an early age like Evel Knievel but excellently healed and no one can tell my busted up past if watching how i walk , work , function and move . Yep , there's a little bit of hurt here and there on some days but still no prescription drugs . Although i am not religious i believe that God put me together pretty well from the very beginning as i was made .

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

And, a quick recommendation on buying a bike. First, make sure the frame is made of Chro-moly steel (lighter and stronger than the steel of department store bikes), and make sure that there are quick release levers on both the front AND the back wheels. If it has no quick release, or quick release on just one wheel, pass it by. You don't want to have a large tool kit you have to carry with you in case of a flat. And, buy a copy of the Bicycling Magazine that has the reviews for the new stuff coming out that year. Usually Dec. or Jan. is when the issue comes out. That way, you can see which components (shifters, gears, wheels, etc.) you would prefer and can choose your bike a bit better.

But also remember..................you're not as young as you used to be. There was a time that I've been clocked at 66 mph going downhill, 53 mph drafting behind a truck, and could hit 48 mph on my own for short sprints.

But that was when I was 30, and had already built up to that.

A few summers back, I was riding my normal course, and heard a young dude say "on your left" as he passed me. Well, I wasn't used to being passed, so I tried to tuck in and draft behind him.

We were doing 28 mph, and after about 1/2 a mile, I realized that he had younger pistons than I did (legs), and that I had to accept the fact that I was getting old.

One of the more depressing days I've had.....................

Of all the things that aren't pleasant as you age I think injuries that either don't heal or take months to heal are on the list. I know now when I get the flu it is at least a one month affair and likely more. What the hell, do your anti-bodies go down to Cabo for the summer off?

One of the depressing things about facebook is seeing the babes I grew up with turning into haggard old ladies - usually fat ones.

I know, I know, I don't look the same as I did when I was younger, but I have the advantage of never having been pretty to start with.

It really makes you appreciate the older women who take care of themselves - and the magic of well - applied makeup.

I guess I'll never grow out of being shallow.

I'm much prettier now than when I was young, because now I now how to look good, not to mention I can grow a nice beard now and my face has cleared.

I look around at middle-age and older people, and see how ugly and crippled many of them are. And, I think about grade school when everyone is pretty and healthy. I see some very nice looking people at any age. Being haggard and fat is a choice. Eating right and dressing nice is also a choice.

(A) Bicycles: Living in Western Pennsylvania, virtually all bike rides over the road are in the form of interval training. It's one hill after another until you get to your destination or back to where you started. Because of that, I don't even keep track of my miles - only the time I'm in the saddle. And also, I never got in the habit of riding "fast" on level ground, because I was (am) always saving my energy for the next hill.

Fitting a bike has always been a problem for me because I have a long torso and short, stubby arms and legs. Turn-down handlebars are not even an option for me; I'd be looking at the ground. But I've bought and modified a road bike and a mountain bike for my current needs, and biking is one of my greatest joys.

(B). Although I am shallow about looks (in women), I have come to understand that "beauty" is seldom the product of perfect bone structure, and more often the result of a woman looking physically fit, well-groomed, dressing appropriately, and carrying herself with respect. And to be something of a curmudgeon, tattoos are NOT attractive, and invariably detract from a woman's appearance. If you don't believe me, find a "beautiful" movie starlet who sports visible tattoos. The only one I can think of is the woman who plays the witch (Cersei Lannister-Bartheon) in Game of Thrones, and her tattoos make her look like a retired biker chick.

Forum List

Back