The diiference between God and Buddha

When I saw the title, I was hoping for a little more humor. Or some vast reasoning that actually did a good comparison.

Those that follow gods teachings get to go to heaven. buddist get reincarnated.

You wanna go through life again or you wanna go to heaven? :lol:

Given a choice between a commie monarchy (heaven) and a redo, I will stick with reincarnation.
I hope you like extreme heat, reincarnation is as false an idea as buddha.

Pardon if I don't take anything YOU say as more that psychotic babbling.

There is a difference between the historical Buddha, Shakyamuni, and buddha, which is buddha nature, awakening, the state of enlightenment.

The Buddha's last words are 'be a light unto yourself'. Meaning take up the path yourself and become enlightened. There is no other salvation.
Otherwise he lied.

There is a difference between the historical Buddha, Shakyamuni, and buddha, which is buddha nature, awakening, the state of enlightenment.

The Buddha's last words are 'be a light unto yourself'. Meaning take up the path yourself and become enlightened. There is no other salvation.
Otherwise he lied.

For you that is most likely true....you couldn't be a light unto yourself if we ran 10,000 volts thru you.

Pardon if I don't take anything YOU say as more that psychotic babbling.
Not psychotic babbling, belief based on Biblical facts.

Now there's an oxymoron for you. :clap2:
You not believing in the truth of the Bible doesn't mean that the Bible is not factual. Satan has fooled alot of people into that way of thinking just like he has fooled alot of people into thinking that to follow buddha is the way.

Not psychotic babbling, belief based on Biblical facts.

Now there's an oxymoron for you. :clap2:
You not believing in the truth of the Bible doesn't mean that the Bible is not factual. Satan has fooled alot of people into that way of thinking just like he has fooled alot of people into thinking that to follow buddha is the way.

Ah, so all humans come from the dna of one male and one female? So the earth is only 6,000 years old? So there really was a world wide flood and all animal species could fit in that ark and later propegate from one male and one female? And ancient people lived over 150 years? And there really was a burning bush? And the Red Sea parted? and so on and so forth?

Those who follow God's teachings do not become God. Those who follow the Buddha's path may become buddhas.

When I saw the title, I was hoping for a little more humor. Or some vast reasoning that actually did a good comparison.

I don't want to go to heaven at all. I want to be enlightened in order to benefit sentient beings.

What benefit would I gain from you being enlightened?

Godwin's law again.

The purpose of this thread was to point out the difference between God and Buddha.

Essentially, the difference is that God made The Buddha.

By the way, why do you keep referring to him as Buddha? Buddha is a title, not a name.

Godwin's law again.

The purpose of this thread was to point out the difference between God and Buddha.

By the way, why do you keep referring to him as Buddha? Buddha is a title, not a name.

Correct. I've heard that Buddhists consider Holy Men of other faiths, like Abraham, Jesus and Mohammed to also be Buddhas.

Buddhists don't aspire to go to heaven. We aspire to become enlightened.
Sorry, but being enlightend is falling short of heaven. I would rather go to Heaven believing the truth, Jesus Christ.

Of course. You're a Christian. Good luck with that.

In Buddhist teachings, there are two 'god realms' and they are not to be aspired to. They are still part of cyclic existence.

Last edited:
Godwin's law again.

Buddha is a state of being. Buddha is also a name referring to the historical Buddha Shakymuni.

Buddha is NOT God. Buddha is the state of being enlightened which men can achieve.

Godwin's law again.

Correct. I've heard that Buddhists consider Holy Men of other faiths, like Abraham, Jesus and Mohammed to also be Buddhas.

Jesus may have been a Buddha, an awakened being. Jesus wandered in the desert for three years. There is some speculation that he studied meditation with Buddhist masters in Tibet and attained siddhis (miraclous powers) and the state of rainbow body.

I don't want to go to heaven at all. I want to be enlightened in order to benefit sentient beings.

It is said that even a insect encountering an enlightened one is benefited. The term for buddha in Tibetan is sang gyay. Which means to clear away and to unfold. What is cleared away when one becomes enlightened are the five poisons of the mind; ignorance, pride, jealousy, neurotic grasping, and hatred. What unfolds are are qualities of love, compassion, joy and equanimity.

Can you see how it might benefit to be around a human being who is immeasurably endowed with love, compassion, joy and equanimity?

Last edited:
Buddhists don't aspire to go to heaven. We aspire to become enlightened.

No, you aspire to become nothing.

You have just outlined a nihilistic argument. Nihilism is considered in Buddhism one of the extreme views to be abandoned.

Eternalism is another.

Enlightenment is not nothingness, or voidness. The teachings of emptiness are subtle. Emptiness is not nothingness.

Last edited:
Godwin's law again.

Buddha is a state of being. Buddha is also a name referring to the historical Buddha Shakymuni.

Buddha is NOT God. Buddha is the state of being enlightened which men can achieve.

Buddha is a title, not the name of a person. It is misused by some to be the name of Shakymuni, but that is just as inappropriate as using Christ as the name of Jesus.

Buddha is a title, not the name of a person. It is misused by some to be the name of Shakymuni, but that is just as inappropriate as using Christ as the name of Jesus.

Buddha is NOT a title. Buddha is a state of being. 14th Dalai Lama is a title for the monk, Tendzin Gyatso.

Shakaymuni is a reference of the tribe to which Prince Gautama Siddhartha belonged. Buddha is what he called himself when he was asked what he was. He said, 'I am awake'. Buddha means awakened.

Last edited:

It is said that even a insect encountering an enlightened one is benefited. The term for buddha in Tibetan is sang gyay. Which means to clear away and to unfold. What is cleared away when one becomes enlightened are the five poisons of the mind; ignorance, pride, jealousy, neurotic grasping, and hatred. What unfolds are are qualities of love, compassion, joy and equanimity.

Can you see how it might benefit to be around a human being who is immeasurably endowed with love, compassion, joy and equanimity?

No human being is immeasurably endowed with any of those qualities, never mind all of them. The Dalai Lama aptly illustrates this in his belief that Tibet fell to China because some Buddhist chose to resist the invasion. The reason Tibet fell is rather simple, China decided to invade. If they had not resisted the only difference would have been that China would have gotten in faster.

If the Dalia Lama was really enlightened he would realize that faith does not keep you safe from the world, it comforts you in the world. His willingness to ascribe the non virtue of resistance to apportion blame for the fall of Tibet is just as wrong as Westboro Baptist Church saying that God is punishing the United States for its support of gays by killing American soldiers.

Perhaps, if people were not so ready to ascribe him some sort of special status simply because he claims to be enlightened, he would be called on his position.

Forum List

Back