The despicable media and its mistreatment of Israel

rhodescholar

Gold Member
May 31, 2009
Strafing Iranian RGs with my .50 Cal
A Former AP Correspondent Explains How and Why His Colleagues Get Israel So Wrong

"A reporter working in the international press corps here understands quickly that what is important in the Israel-Palestinian story is Israel. If you follow mainstream coverage, you will find nearly no real analysis of Palestinian society or ideologies, profiles of armed Palestinian groups, or investigation of Palestinian government. Palestinians are not taken seriously as agents of their own fate. The West has decided that Palestinians should want a state alongside Israel, so that opinion is attributed to them as fact, though anyone who has spent time with actual Palestinians understands that things are (understandably, in my opinion) more complicated. Who they are and what they want is not important: The story mandates that they exist as passive victims of the party that matters.

Corruption, for example, is a pressing concern for many Palestinians under the rule of the Palestinian Authority, but when I and another reporter once suggested an article on the subject, we were informed by the bureau chief that Palestinian corruption was “not the story.” (Israeli corruption was, and we covered it at length.)

Israeli actions are analyzed and criticized, and every flaw in Israeli society is aggressively reported. In one seven-week period, from Nov. 8 to Dec. 16, 2011, I decided to count the stories coming out of our bureau on the various moral failings of Israeli society—proposed legislation meant to suppress the media, the rising influence of Orthodox Jews, unauthorized settlement outposts, gender segregation, and so forth. I counted 27 separate articles, an average of a story every two days. In a very conservative estimate, this seven-week tally was higher than the total number of significantly critical stories about Palestinian government and society, including the totalitarian Islamists of Hamas, that our bureau had published in the preceding three years."

That is normally the case, the oppressor is scrutinized more closely. The fact that so much attention is placed on the governance of an occupied people in the case of the Palestinians, is what is unique. The non-whites in Apartheid South Africa were covered in the news with the understanding that they were an oppressed people and governance, or lack of it, was caused by the oppressive South African government.

In the case of Israel, most won't even agree that the Palestinians are oppressed by the Jews. It is as if the non-Jews are hostile because they don't peacefully accept oppression.

Ckm9o3IW0AE5B5u.jpg

Forum List

Back