The dangers of cutting social programs

archangel said:
Stick with Geography...you are way too smart and cute to waste your time on nonsensicle dribble! :halo:

It's mainly geography, with consentrations in sociology and economics. And not nonsensicle dribble, btw. :death:

Gabriella84 said:
Where does freakin UTAH enter into this? Geez...

I am white. My parents are not rich. A lot of white people are not rich. Whites simply have more opportunities. There is less prejudice against whites than blacks and Latinos. If you fail to comprehend this, go to Compton or Watts. Go to East Los Angeles.
Social programs are devised to help people that are less fortunate. Believe it or not, there ARE people out there who are less fortunate, through no fault of their own. If we spent more money on our own people, and less money trying to kill other people, our nation would be a much better place.

Living in Utah gives me a different perspective than living in California. Living in a predominately white state give me a clearer view of the affect of social programs like affirmative action does on Corporate America hiring practices.

It became very obvious to me a few years back when I was looking for a job; during a short time when I was vesting the job fair there was at least a hundred white job hunter in full suites quickly going in and out of the place, most like me didn’t spend to much time talking to them. The wasn’t many minorities their but every one I saw was being signed up for a second interview, many weren’t even dressed up.

I also have worked fore many non-white in the past, some of them even in very high positions. I won’t say affirmative action gave them theirs jobs, but playing by the rules by getting a good and in demand education plus working towards a good job history did. My sister-in-law company she worked for a couple of years ago conduct a multi-state hiring process for a qualified non-white candidate for a high position in their organization. Not because their wasn’t plenty of qualified whites their already, but because they felt like they needed more minority representation.

The point I am trying to say is this: being African American or Latin American won’t guarantee any person in this country a good job, but if one of them puts the effort into getting a hard to get degree plus builds a good resume, opportunities abound for them, even in my opinion greater than for whites. The sad thing is that statistic show that especially amount African Americans and Latin Americans that they are for the most part falling way behind White American and Asian American in this category. You better not blame this on educational funding, because Utah has long spent less per student than most states, and has always been above average in academic success. There is absolutely no correlation between funding and quality of education.

My finale point when I went to college to get my business degree I saw very few African Americans and Latin American in the programs. Truthfully there were more foreign students from Asia and Europe than from either group. Not saying that there were a lot of non-whites in the university to begin with, but it was obvious more in the general student population than in the business programs. It is not because of difficulty in getting in the business programs, because it really isn’t that difficult to qualify and the school only truly national reputation is its’ business department. But still few minorities except Asians tried to get a degree with in it.

Said1 said:
It's mainly geography, with consentrations in sociology and economics. And not nonsensicle dribble, btw. :death:

You wish death on me for being up front and honest...economics and geography are cool..and useful... but sociology and psychology are really easy...you want to honestly tell me this is not true....shame on you! :rotflmao:

archangel said:
You wish death on me for being up front and honest...economics and geography are cool..and useful... but sociology and psychology are really easy...you want to honestly tell me this is not true....shame on you! :rotflmao:

I didn't say it was hard. Cultural sociology is related to what I'm studying.

Now stop being such a know-it-all. :slap:

Said1 said:
I didn't say it was hard. Cultural sociology is related to what I'm studying.

Now stop being such a know-it-all. :slap:

Can I blame my Dad for bad DNA? Then again maybe it was moms fault!...Hey have a great night...you are really fun to jest with! :wine:

archangel said:
Can I blame my Dad for bad DNA? Then again maybe it was moms fault!...Hey have a great night...you are really fun to jest with! :wine:

There are many aspects to sociology, that is not on my ciriculum. :p:
Keep trying.

Said1 said:
There are many aspects to sociology, that is not on my ciriculum. :p:
Keep trying.

well I would except you are too cute,too smart, and I am really hungry...gotta go and feed myself before ya give me a heart attack...ya know us old farts can only flirt,eat,sleep and start over again tomorrow....lol

bbl... maybe... depends on the old mans condition! :mm:

archangel said:
well I would except you are too cute,too smart, and I am really hungry...gotta go and feed myself before ya give me a heart attack...ya know us old farts can only flirt,eat,sleep and start over again tomorrow....lol

bbl... maybe... depends on the old mans condition! :mm:

Remember, lay off the carbs!

Smell ya, dude. :tng:

freeandfun1 said:
Not only do they get every dime paid in back, they also get "EIC" (earned income credit). Before I became somewhat successful in business I was an enlisted man in the Army. I remember when I was living in Manhattan, KS raising a young daughter and married and only bringing home about $500 a month. Every year I qualified for EIC and that meant if I paid $1,000 into the system I would get back something like $1,600. Pretty nifty if you ask me.

this is also how a former friend of ours, was able to get money back at the end of the year, even after being on state assistance (ie welfare) for damn near a year. This because he can't seem to hold a job. He hasn't been fired (other than the once) he just quits if he has a bad day or someone "treats him like crap", as well as because all other jobs interfered with his tv programs ...i kid you not, he actually said this in front of me. get this, he's also married (she's just as bad as he is), and has one 4 y/o,and a special-needs (more $ from the state of course) baby with her. Both had to drop out of college because she got pregnant with the first one. I could go on with the crap this guy has pulled, but I would be typing all night.

*and* ...you can't spell psychology without "psycho" ...

And this comes from an alleged adult who remains enamored with children's fiction. :cow:

Gabriella84 said:
What if you don't have the money to buy things? What if you work on weekends? What if you don't even have a local park?
Life is not always perfect.

if the queen had balls she would be king

Gabriella84 said:
And this comes from an alleged adult who remains enamored with children's fiction. :cow:

ooohhh, you must be SO grown up yourself...

I am not ENAMORED with the series. And they are not just read by kids- see some of the people that post at www.cosforums.com .

I just happen to like the series because for the time that i am reading them ( or listening to the audio books), i am in an entirely different world, one that I don't have to worry about work, bills, laundry, dishes, gardening, etc. It is an escape from reality. Of course, you have never set foot into reality so I can see why you choose to say what you do.

I am almost 25 years old. I will be married for 3 years this September. My son is almost 2. I work full time outside my home, and I am in the process of starting my own business. This leaves me very little time for myself. If I have found something that helps me relax, and requires nothing more than my comfortable hammock next to my pond w/waterfall, and a pitcher of iced tea, then so be it. What is it to you that I like to read Harry Potter?

if the queen had balls she would be king

And you had a brain, you would be semi-intelligent.

What is it to you that I like to read Harry Potter?

Because it is a liberal book that promotes witchcraft and homosexuality. Don't you know that?

You and I know "HP" is fiction. But children are often unable to differentiate between fact and fiction. The HP books draw kids to the study of wizards and witchcraft and away from Christian principals.
Not to mention all the fun times that Harry has with all male buddies, which implies the pleasures that can be derived from homosexuality.

"Harry Potter is saying you can dabble in witchcraft as long as it's entertaining. If it's not good, it's evil. There ain't no in between. When you start dabbling in demonic spirits, that's dangerous ground. You're opening up your home, yourself to all kinds of attacks from the Devil."

---Beverly Greene

Of course, the new HP book due out this week also has Christians a bit skitterish. Since there have been hints that Harry might lose his virginity.

Gabriella84 said:
You and I know "HP" is fiction. But children are often unable to differentiate between fact and fiction. The HP books draw kids to the study of wizards and witchcraft and away from Christian principals.
Not to mention all the fun times that Harry has with all male buddies, which implies the pleasures that can be derived from homosexuality.

---Beverly Greene

Of course, the new HP book due out this week also has Christians a bit skitterish. Since there have been hints that Harry might lose his virginity.

give kids a bit more credit. they have a better grip of reality that you do. without this thread getting hijacked, point out, WITH A LINK, an article or something proving that kids are starting to worship the Devil. The whole claim on both issues is ridiculous.

as far as sex being present in the next book, it is unlikely, because there are people called editors, that serve the purpose of making sure that the target readers (age appropriate) aren't reading material that is not appropriate.

since this thread is about something else, i will not post any more on the issue, because the other members here already know where i stand, and i hate repeating myself.

end of discussion on this issue, since little Gabby is as likely to find a real link, proving the statement she made, as Draco getting together with Hermione.

To be TOTALLY SERIOUS, there is nothing wrong with you reading Harry Potter. It was just an example of how anyone can stretch things out of proportion.

Though I am not a HP fan, I am a huge fan of the series, because it encourages children to read. My mom, who teaches elementary school, has dealt with numerous kids whose first book was one of the HP series. They enjoyed being engrossed in the story line so much, they want to read other books.
Believe it or not, some migrant Latino kids have vastly improved their English skills by reading Harry Potter. Because it is something that they want to read.

An adult reading Harry Potter is no different than my 50-year-old dad still listening to punk and heavy metal. My mom says he refuses to grow up and listen to "adult" music.

Gabriella84 said:

---Beverly Greene

Oooo, sex magic and wizards, what could be better. :laugh:

I think I'll PM Deaddude so he can help me cast a spell on you. What do you fancy more....animal, vegetable or mineral?

Forum List

Back