The dangers of cutting social programs

Mr. P said:
Gangs have a roll in society?
You are a fuckin idiot!

I can't wait to hear this.

Gabby...exactly WHAT IS their roll in society?

Economic? Social? Moral? Ethical?

Oh..wait...

Economic - they boost the local economy with their drug sales and thefts from local business/citizens. Re-distrubtion of wealth?

Social - giving the ones who feel like they don't have a home "somewhere to belong." "It takes a village." Well, actually, "It takes a gang."

Moral - One for all, all for one. That group/club morality. Watch my back, etc. "What is...a broken skull. Define...broken."

Ethical - you bust one of my brothers, I kill you. An eye for an eye. Straight from the Bible.

Am I right?

GotZoom said:

Oh..wait...

Economic - they boost the local economy with their drug sales and thefts from local business/citizens. Re-distrubtion of wealth?

Social - giving the ones who feel like they don't have a home "somewhere to belong." "It takes a village." Well, actually, "It takes a gang."

Moral - One for all, all for one. That group/club morality. Watch my back, etc. "What is...a broken skull. Define...broken."

Ethical - you bust one of my brothers, I kill you. An eye for an eye. Straight from the Bible.

Am I right?

No, no way off. It would go something like this....."Gabby, what is the role of gangs in society?"

Gabby:
offtheair.gif

GotZoom said:

Oh..wait...

Am I right?
Now you're beginning to be properly "DUMBed DOWN"!

You have zero concept of what is actually going on. If you push people into a corner, then keep poking them with a stick, eventually they are going to come back at you.
Raise your hand, any of you, if you live in the inner city. Or send your kids to inner city public schools. Or if you live in a poor black or Latino neighorhood, and have seen all the problems first hand.
Send your kids to my schools and then talk.

Gabriella84 said:
You have zero concept of what is actually going on. If you push people into a corner, then keep poking them with a stick, eventually they are going to come back at you.
Raise your hand, any of you, if you live in the inner city. Or send your kids to inner city public schools. Or if you live in a poor black or Latino neighorhood, and have seen all the problems first hand.

What happened to the wonderful townhouse you live in with all the money you don't make?

Gabriella84 said:

I live in an "inner city" area, not black or latino in population, but full of hookers, drug addicts, drunks, pan handlers, Hells Angles, Outlaws, "wanna be" teenage punks and various other criminals. I love this area, the sense of community amoung the people here is amazing. (Ask Kathianne about my landlord. :D ) I am aware of the fact that I live in another country and the education system is very different, but it doesn't change the fact that I put a bar on the door at night.....just in case. With that said, what point are you trying to make by asking?

Also, could you be specific about who you are refering too when you say "you have zero concept of what is actually going on"?

Gabriella84 said:
Ask Bill Cosby who has pushed people into a corner..You won't like the answer.
Been there done the rest, except sending my kid to an inner city school..So...:finger:

Said1 said:
Isn't that from a lost episode of 90210? :D

Noo.. (maybe?).. That was right from the horses <s>ass</s> mouth.. :D

Gabriella84 said:

You know Gab I think you like most Libs don’t understand very much about what American is really like. I can tell from your post that you tend to believe that only minorities are poor and all white are all rich. The fact is for out American history there have been more poor whites than all the poor minorities combined. Some time in the future this may change because of immigration patterns, but this doesn’t change this historical fact. Liberal likes to scream about statistical probability variation but care little about the actual number of people involved.

I am from Utah so the major gang problem isn’t as severe, but there are still plenty of people who die because of gang violence. I have worked with plenty of non-whites inner city kids in my life and most them were very good people, the believed in working for a living and finishing highs school.

The biggest disappointment in them was the fact that few thought of going to college, and the few that did including some of my closets friends got degree in Social Studies or field like it. Some got master degree and got jobs in government social programs hopping like you will like in the future if you get your master degree in psychology that the social program you will eventually work for doesn’t get their budget cut.

The problem with social program is they tend to depend on the problem they our trying to solve being around. So what is the true motivation in ending it? I don’t personally believe Democrats or Liberals have any true desire to end poverty or gang violence; they just want to put a band-aid on serious problem and claim their helping.

The danger of cutting social programs is that people would realize they dont need politicians but can live their own life. And then all of these liberals and some of those moderates/conservatives would be out of a job for people who are better qualified.

Where does freakin UTAH enter into this? Geez...

I am white. My parents are not rich. A lot of white people are not rich. Whites simply have more opportunities. There is less prejudice against whites than blacks and Latinos. If you fail to comprehend this, go to Compton or Watts. Go to East Los Angeles.
Social programs are devised to help people that are less fortunate. Believe it or not, there ARE people out there who are less fortunate, through no fault of their own. If we spent more money on our own people, and less money trying to kill other people, our nation would be a much better place.

Gabriella84 said:
Where does freakin UTAH enter into this? Geez...

I am white. My parents are not rich. A lot of white people are not rich. Whites simply have more opportunities. There is less prejudice against whites than blacks and Latinos. If you fail to comprehend this, go to Compton or Watts. Go to East Los Angeles.
Social programs are devised to help people that are less fortunate. Believe it or not, there ARE people out there who are less fortunate, through no fault of their own. If we spent more money on our own people, and less money trying to kill other people, our nation would be a much better place.

What would be the one single most important thing you think needs to be done in your area (or area closest to you)? And please don't say spend more money on social programs, I know you think that. I'm interested in ideas on how to spend the money....... program implementation ie: mentoring programs etc.

ok the shoice is give them a nice park to play in....or build places that they can rob and make some cash......let me guys you were in favour of a park....you do know that means they will drive out to the valley and rob and rape the white folk out there

Said1 said:
What would be the one single most important thing you think needs to be done in your area (or area closest to you)? And please don't say spend more money on social programs, I know you think that. I'm interested in ideas on how to spend the money....... program implementation ie: mentoring programs etc.

Good question!

**spend more money on school improvements. Schools is some areas are badly run down. Teachers should be offered incentives to work in inner city schools.

**Beef up school security. It has worked in several school districts here. Our schools have uniformed security and cameras. It greatly decreases crime. Also, dress codes actually do work.

**Provide after school programs for all age levels. If you provide nice fields for soccer, football or baseball, or open a few pools in the summers, kids will go there. People in the suburbs have them. Do you know how they cut the teen crime rate in El Monte? They installed lights at a couple of parks that allowed kids to play basketball and soccer at all hours. Like the old saying states: "A hand that holds a ball or glove can't fire a gun."

**Provide after school care for kids with working parents. Give them things to do. Girls and boys. If you are not on the street, your are not causing trouble.

This things cost tax money -- a lot of it. At the same time, how much money does teen crime cost you? How much for prisons?

Would you like to know one of the most popular programs in Latino schools? It's Junior ROTC. Like most school programs, it's underfunded. Kids actually do want discipline. If you are willing to provide it.

Gabriella84 said:
Good question!

**spend more money on school improvements. Schools is some areas are badly run down. Teachers should be offered incentives to work in inner city schools.

**Beef up school security. It has worked in several school districts here. Our schools have uniformed security and cameras. It greatly decreases crime. Also, dress codes actually do work.

**Provide after school programs for all age levels. If you provide nice fields for soccer, football or baseball, or open a few pools in the summers, kids will go there. People in the suburbs have them. Do you know how they cut the teen crime rate in El Monte? They installed lights at a couple of parks that allowed kids to play basketball and soccer at all hours. Like the old saying states: "A hand that holds a ball or glove can't fire a gun."

**Provide after school care for kids with working parents. Give them things to do. Girls and boys. If you are not on the street, your are not causing trouble.

This things cost tax money -- a lot of it. At the same time, how much money does teen crime cost you? How much for prisons?

Would you like to know one of the most popular programs in Latino schools? It's Junior ROTC. Like most school programs, it's underfunded. Kids actually do want discipline. If you are willing to provide it.

all true....and they should tax the area served and do exactly what you say

Gabriella84 said:
Good question!

Some of this stuff can be done on a volunteer basis, by community members. How about incentives for that? Initiative, doing something to help themselves is a start.

How can you tax people that don't have much? What does that serve?
It should be a state or federal tax. Society will reap the benefits.

Forum List

Back