What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

G

Gabriella84

A couple of times a year, my dad talks to a guy he went to high school with, in Dallas. Apparently they were pretty good friends then, and remain so to this day.
When they both became draft age, my dad decided to go to college. His friend joined the military and went to Viet Nam. My dad was part of an anti-war faction, where he met my mom. His friend lost a leg and got shipped home. Both of them have talked about meeting for the first time after Mr. Lake came home from Viet Nam. My dad thought he might be upset about their differences, but they weren't. Mr. Lake said he joined the military because that is what his conscience told him to do. He understood that my dad did what his conscience tokd him to do.

Obviously, I was not born until much later. Mr. Lake has never mentioned being badmouthed or spit on when he came home. No one called him a "baby killer" or a "murderer." He merely came home and rehabbed. When he was ready to get a job, my dad suggested he move to Anaheim and try to get a job with his company, which he did. I believe Mr. Lake retired after his dad had a stroke, or something like that, and now lives with them, on disability.

Being young, I don't remember Desert Storm. I remember my dad took my sister and I to a parade when a large group of local servicemen returned. I just thought it was a parade.

Things are different now. There is no draft (and hopefully, Bush won't bring it back). No one is obligated to join the military. No one should be forced to pressured into joining the military. It should be something that each individual person wants to do.

At the same time, some of us don't agree at what is going on. I have never been involved in an anti-military demonstration. My beef is with the idiots who run the country, not the country or its people. I don't burn flags or curse at soldiers. That is merely a concept that some of you wish to have.

I could just as easily be your daughter. I am 21 years old and free to think what I please and do as I please. My parents support my right to do such.
I have been a good daughter. I've never been in trouble with the law, never caused trouble in school, never received a grade lower than a B. I don't drink, smoke or use drugs. I've never been pregnant. My parents do not financially support me. I am attending school on a full academic scholarship.

If you have a son or daughter around my age, can you say the same thing?

the people that run the country are not idiots

does your arm ever get tired from patting your self on the back?

Gabriella84 said:
A couple of times a year, my dad talks to a guy he went to high school with, in Dallas. Apparently they were pretty good friends then, and remain so to this day.
When they both became draft age, my dad decided to go to college. His friend joined the military and went to Viet Nam. My dad was part of an anti-war faction, where he met my mom. His friend lost a leg and got shipped home. Both of them have talked about meeting for the first time after Mr. Lake came home from Viet Nam. My dad thought he might be upset about their differences, but they weren't. Mr. Lake said he joined the military because that is what his conscience told him to do. He understood that my dad did what his conscience tokd him to do.

Obviously, I was not born until much later. Mr. Lake has never mentioned being badmouthed or spit on when he came home. No one called him a "baby killer" or a "murderer." He merely came home and rehabbed. When he was ready to get a job, my dad suggested he move to Anaheim and try to get a job with his company, which he did. I believe Mr. Lake retired after his dad had a stroke, or something like that, and now lives with them, on disability.

Being young, I don't remember Desert Storm. I remember my dad took my sister and I to a parade when a large group of local servicemen returned. I just thought it was a parade.

Things are different now. There is no draft (and hopefully, Bush won't bring it back). No one is obligated to join the military. No one should be forced to pressured into joining the military. It should be something that each individual person wants to do.

At the same time, some of us don't agree at what is going on. I have never been involved in an anti-military demonstration. My beef is with the idiots who run the country, not the country or its people. I don't burn flags or curse at soldiers. That is merely a concept that some of you wish to have.

I could just as easily be your daughter. I am 21 years old and free to think what I please and do as I please. My parents support my right to do such.
I have been a good daughter. I've never been in trouble with the law, never caused trouble in school, never received a grade lower than a B. I don't drink, smoke or use drugs. I've never been pregnant. My parents do not financially support me. I am attending school on a full academic scholarship.

I don't know if you are an only child, but Yes to your last question, of 2 out of 3.

You sound like a good daughter. You sound more or less a product of how you were raised. BUT if you WERE raised the way you SAY you were, you would not be so arrogant nor full of yourself, regardless of your achievements.

If you were my daughter I'd do whatever it took to pressure you into joining the Military.

(shrug).

Oh - btw? What you 'think and feel' is wrong. 90% of what you believe is based on lies and speculation. You lack vital skills: Critical Thought, Caring, Maturity (yes, Maturity can be learned), and you don't listen (by that I mean you are un-coachable. Nobody can teach you something which hasn't passed through your mental filters).

Gabriella84 said:

Many of us in here are parents and have children who can claim your achievments in school and socially...however my grandkids are interested in joining the military after school to give back some of that they received...My Grandaughter who is a sophmore in HS wants to attend a military academy or take ROTC at a State College after HS....she is very cute,does well on grades,works a summer job and does sports in school...and is very conservative...so whats your point? :huh:

ps:and she does not waste her time protesting...she does motocross and horse competition to entertain herself...along with water skiing... :eek2: (new concept eh!)

Gabriella84 said:

Peace, love and understanding happen all the time--it just isn't news worthy. In fact some of the people who "run the country" have done a lot that has resulted in good. (Are we really sure who's running the place anyway?)

Gabriella84 said:

And?

Many of us can say the same thing. So to you, what does that mean?

You parents haven't cornered the market on raising a good kid. Just as you haven't cornered the market on being a good kid.

For someone who seems to have done well in school with your "never below a B" and your scholarship, you still keep missing the point.

I will echo what so many people have said previously. You started your existence here as a very rude, egotistical, overbearing, obnoxious individual.

You came across as that new kid in school who thought they were "all that" and no one liked them. Some kids even made fun of them.

When someone tells others "how good they are", it raises all kinds of flags. You have stated that you don't care what anyone thinks about you, but yet you post something like you did telling us how good you are.

Are there issues we don't know about? Do you need some kind of verification and validation?

Personally, I'm glad you did well in school and are on a scholarship. I am sure your parents are very proud.

I hope that when you figure out where you want to be in life, and what you want to be "when you grown up," it is something that will benefit all of mankind and not just a select few.

fellow that had that very thing in mind.. Jesus. However in the world of realpolitik we must acknowledge that many don't adopt this concept and do things like, oh say, fly passenger aircraft into buildings, or saw the heads off of people they don't like with dull kitchen utensils. Then Peace, Love, an Understanding are replaced, and morally responsibly so, with, rifles, tanks, and bombers. I hope I have been of some assistance in your growing understanding of philosophy, both religious and political, and do not currently charge for my online services. However, if continued education is required, and as evidenced by your many posts on this site that is of necessity, any ongoing teaching on my part to you may be compensatory. Su bienvenida y tiene un día agradable.

Gabby....you wrote a perfectly lovely post. You described yourself as someone dedicated doing what is right for the nation, even if many here do not agree with what the right thing is. It would have been a perfect opportunity for you to end with..."So thats a bit about me. I'm not evil, not anti-troops, I don't do drugs, etc. Hopefully you will all keep this in mind as we continue to discuss different topics."

But instead...you ended with a thinly veiled barb against the people here:
"If you have a son or daughter around my age, can you say the same thing?"

This is quite similar to another post, in which you insulted the people here and their parenting skills.

Why did you do this? Why would you write a post about peace, love, and most certainly, understanding...and then end in a manner that demonstrates quite clearly that you do not understand that people who have different views than yours and your families raise perfectly lovely children as well?

I think the bottom line is, it is almost impossible to see you as anything other than a petulant child insulting and demeaning those who think differently than she does and then crying and writing self-indulgent posts about how fabulous she is when you are insulted or demeaned in a similar manner.

Perhaps if you could accept that numerous people here go to church, some dont, many have ideas that are quite different than yours, some are divorced, married, single, parents, not parents, straight, gay, bisexual, young, old, and that doesn't make them better OR WORSE than you....perhaps then, when you begin to show people here the respect you seem to feel you are entitled to...you will begin to be treated that way.

There are idiots here who will treat you poorly because you think differently than they do...you'll find them everywhere, on every board, with every type of political, moral, religious, social leanings. However, the vast majority of people on this board have simply been waiting for you to act like the mature young woman you claim to be...and you don't demonstrate that by implying that their children are not as wonderful as you are.

Gem, I appreciate what you are trying to say. And you said it in an intelligent and non-beligerent manner, which is appreciated.
My jabs at "parenting" are in direct response to those who believe that, believe I have liberal viewpoints, I must be a disgusting vulgar rotten child who received minimal parenting by a pair of idiots. Which couldn't be further from the truth.
Kids are a product of their upbringing. I was raised to think for myself. Others are not. Simple as that.
And no, I never played team sports, water skiied or rode horses. I rode my bike, skated and ran with my sister. In high school, I was on our math competition team and served as a peer mentor.
*pats herself on the back some more*

Gabriella84 said:
Gem, I appreciate what you are trying to say. And you said it in an intelligent and non-beligerent manner, which is appreciated.
My jabs at "parenting" are in direct response to those who believe that, believe I have liberal viewpoints, I must be a disgusting vulgar rotten child who received minimal parenting by a pair of idiots. Which couldn't be further from the truth.
Kids are a product of their upbringing. I was raised to think for myself. Others are not. Simple as that.
And no, I never played team sports, water skiied or rode horses. I rode my bike, skated and ran with my sister. In high school, I was on our math competition team and served as a peer mentor.
*pats herself on the back some more*

Here's the problem Gabby. Your statement above means that 'good' parents turn out children that 'think for themselves' thus are 'liberal'? Is that what you meant to say?

i was in a meeting the other day....heated debate about how to build a certain part of the building this young man stands gets very upset with the way things were going and starts in: i have been doing this for 20 years and we never ....... you just know they are full of it and dead wrong

Kathianne said:
Here's the problem Gabby. Your statement above means that 'good' parents turn out children that 'think for themselves' thus are 'liberal'? Is that what you meant to say?

good parents turn out socially adept, polite people that contribute to society

manu1959 said:
good parents turn out socially adept, polite people that contribute to society

Oh I agree with you manu. My kids are far from carbon copies of myself. One is 'sort of' conservative, the others aren't. Guess they learned to think for themselves. I know they would never insult numbers of people, without cause, other than disagreeing about GW or something of that nature. :rolleyes: I would assume they vote for whom they vote for, then discuss or not, but never meanly or condescendingly.

Can't rep ya for post #9 Gem..
Perfect..you always make me proud!
I'm so glad young folks like you and
a few others on this board are out there and will run this country some day. :thup:

Forum List

Back