Texas executes man w. 61 IQ

See, I am too... but not when it comes to our justice system. I see the DP as the ultimate justice for the ultimate offenses. It's not about 'revenge', only about justice. There is a case for the DP - but there are far more cases where life w/o parole is sufficient. Thing with me is I tend not to get emotionally involved unless I see the verdict as an unjust one. I'm not one of the howling dogs who wants to spend 5 minutes in a room with some asshole who murdered a child. I am one who thinks if you kill our most vulnerable, or those whose job is to protect us, then you deserve the DP for that. Most others, not.
When it comes to the DP, or even to any sentence for incarceration (and as incarceration is far from any sort of rehabilitation), I don't buy that justice does not contain a large amount of vengeance.

Irrespective of that, I find that the potential of mistake is too compelling a reason for keeping the DP. Always have, since I was a kid.

I will never be in favor of the DP.

Then we make improvements to ensure that mistakes don't happen. But, I tell you this, there is a huge groundswell in Europe that want to bring it back. Living without it is not all it's made up to be. There are uncivilized people who deserve the justice of having their lives taken. It's sad, and it should be done for 'revenge' it should always be justice... an appropriate sentence for the crime. The problem with the US is that we hand it out without due consideration.

I know it, that's a good point, it's like they sentence people to the gallows & ask questions later.

Texas Executes Man with IQ of 61; State Cites Steinbeck

The link to the video of a news clip is above.

The man was executed via lethal injection and clinically mentally disabled. He sucked his thumb into adulthood. The state of Texas used "Of Mice & Men" by John Steinbeck as a reference. Sadly, Texas has a history of doing this. I mean executing mentally handicapped people. It was my understanding that there's a federal law in place that is intended to prevent such executions.

I suppose my question is what needs to happen for Texas to comply with a federal law that prohibits the execution of legitimately handicapped people? What are the consequences for undermining the law? Why is the law in place if Texas is above it? I was born there, so it kinda sucks, but I mean what the hell?!? :confused:
If that is so, the federal law passed to perpetuate the lives of dumb killers is against the founder's principle that "All men are created Equal."

The people's court thought the man knew what he did was wrong, and that if not sentenced to death, would kill again.

Laws should protect the innocent and not the taker of innocent life.

I just visited the archival area of the Texas Prison system. It has a wall dedicated to prison guards murdered by dummies being detained for life. No more, thanks.

Last edited:
Federal law doesn't recognise State law, so why should State law recognise federal law?

That's what Robert Lee was asking until he was on the doorstep of Appomattox :D

Federal law is for the land. What's not covered in federal law is left to the states to do with as they please so long as it doesn't undermine federal law. Citizens of each state can enjoy the rights & privileges within their state. When Uncle Sam makes a rule, Johnny Texas has to comply. If he doesn't like the rule, there's a process. Undermining doesn't work. Just ask the Mayor of Atlanta in the 1860's, lol.

If Texas enjoys being a part of the union, they need to enjoy some federal law. :D
Y'all come on in and spank us. After y'all are finished with AZ, that is.

:Boom2:

Then we make improvements to ensure that mistakes don't happen. But, I tell you this, there is a huge groundswell in Europe that want to bring it back. Living without it is not all it's made up to be. There are uncivilized people who deserve the justice of having their lives taken. It's sad, and it should be done for 'revenge' it should always be justice... an appropriate sentence for the crime. The problem with the US is that we hand it out without due consideration.

"Justice" is merely an alternative spelling of "revenge."

I support the death penalty, and the reason I do is that I believe the most savage, the murderers and rapists, should pay with their lives for what they've done. This is revenge and I make no apology for it.

I have worked on several death penalty cases, and a lot of life without parole cases too. It is not so much about revenge, it is about forefit. The crimes are so horrific, or so callous, that the person has forefitted their right to live among others even those accused of other crimes.

"Justice" is merely an alternative spelling of "revenge."

I support the death penalty, and the reason I do is that I believe the most savage, the murderers and rapists, should pay with their lives for what they've done. This is revenge and I make no apology for it.
<you have given out too much reputation in 24 hours, try again much later>
Yep.

I have worked on several death penalty cases, and a lot of life without parole cases too. It is not so much about revenge, it is about forefit. The crimes are so horrific, or so callous, that the person has forefitted their right to live among others even those accused of other crimes.

Semantics.

No.

Revenge is a word of passion. It evokes feelings. The death penalty is administered dispassionately, it is not unlike putting a rabid animal down. Unlike rabid animals, these killers enjoyed their acts. They enjoyed them when they committed them and enjoy thinking about them and reliving every second.

Larry Bittaker was sentenced to death in 1979. He is still on death row. He spends his time answering fan mail and love letters. He also arouses himself by thinking of the girls he murdered.

No.

Revenge is a word of passion. It evokes feelings. The death penalty is administered dispassionately, it is not unlike putting a rabid animal down. Unlike rabid animals, these killers enjoyed their acts. They enjoyed them when they committed them and enjoy thinking about them and reliving every second.

Larry Bittaker was sentenced to death in 1979. He is still on death row. He spends his time answering fan mail and love letters. He also arouses himself by thinking of the girls he murdered.

Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Mario Puzo

The man was executed via lethal injection and clinically mentally disabled. He sucked his thumb into adulthood. The state of Texas used "Of Mice & Men" by John Steinbeck as a reference. Sadly, Texas has a history of doing this. I mean executing mentally handicapped people. It was my understanding that there's a federal law in place that is intended to prevent such executions.

I suppose my question is what needs to happen for Texas to comply with a federal law that prohibits the execution of legitimately handicapped people? What are the consequences for undermining the law? Why is the law in place if Texas is above it? I was born there, so it kinda sucks, but I mean what the hell?!? :confused:
Hmm.
Cite the federal law, quote the provisions you believe were violated, and show how the state of Texas violated those provisions.

Did you notice how your link conveniently omitted the crime(s) he was found guilty of? I find that decidedly inconvenient.

Doesn't matter to me. What matters to me is that he was disabled at the time, and is not smart enough to comprehend his actions.

He was smart enough to maintain a drug dealing business and to plan the murder.

I bet someone with Down Syndrome could plan a murder as well, but it doesn't mean they should be executed for it.

Why not? Are mentally handicapped people better than people with average intelligence? Hell yes, I feel sorry they were born with a defective gene, but please tell me why they should get special consideration.
Are they worth more to society? Will they contribute to the betterment of the rest of us? If you could answer "Yes" to either, you might have a point, but sadly, a man with an IQ of 61 has about zero potential to benefit society, so no special dispensation is appropriate.

I bet someone with Down Syndrome could plan a murder as well, but it doesn't mean they should be executed for it.

Why not? Are mentally handicapped people better than people with average intelligence? Hell yes, I feel sorry they were born with a defective gene, but please tell me why they should get special consideration.
Are they worth more to society? Will they contribute to the betterment of the rest of us? If you could answer "Yes" to either, you might have a point, but sadly, a man with an IQ of 61 has about zero potential to benefit society, so no special dispensation is appropriate.
We dont kill people based on what they can contribute. The only question is, can they understand the consequences of their actions. As a nation we have decided adults can, but the mentally handicapped and children don't have the brain function to truly comprehend.

It is likely that I have a below average IQ as well - does that mean I have zero benefit to society?

We dont kill people based on what they can contribute. The only question is, can they understand the consequences of their actions. As a nation we have decided adults can, but the mentally handicapped and children don't have the brain function to truly comprehend.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DX4PJkyCxM]Family Guy - Petarded - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back