Texas executes man w. 61 IQ

Jason1977

Aug 22, 2012
South Carolina
Texas Executes Man with IQ of 61; State Cites Steinbeck

The link to the video of a news clip is above.

The man was executed via lethal injection and clinically mentally disabled. He sucked his thumb into adulthood. The state of Texas used "Of Mice & Men" by John Steinbeck as a reference. Sadly, Texas has a history of doing this. I mean executing mentally handicapped people. It was my understanding that there's a federal law in place that is intended to prevent such executions.

I suppose my question is what needs to happen for Texas to comply with a federal law that prohibits the execution of legitimately handicapped people? What are the consequences for undermining the law? Why is the law in place if Texas is above it? I was born there, so it kinda sucks, but I mean what the hell?!? :confused:

The man was executed via lethal injection and clinically mentally disabled. He sucked his thumb into adulthood. The state of Texas used "Of Mice & Men" by John Steinbeck as a reference. Sadly, Texas has a history of doing this. I mean executing mentally handicapped people. It was my understanding that there's a federal law in place that is intended to prevent such executions.

I suppose my question is what needs to happen for Texas to comply with a federal law that prohibits the execution of legitimately handicapped people? What are the consequences for undermining the law? Why is the law in place if Texas is above it? I was born there, so it kinda sucks, but I mean what the hell?!? :confused:

Did you notice how your link conveniently omitted the crime(s) he was found guilty of? I find that decidedly inconvenient.

Federal law doesn't recognise State law, so why should State law recognise federal law?

That's what Robert Lee was asking until he was on the doorstep of Appomattox :D

Federal law is for the land. What's not covered in federal law is left to the states to do with as they please so long as it doesn't undermine federal law. Citizens of each state can enjoy the rights & privileges within their state. When Uncle Sam makes a rule, Johnny Texas has to comply. If he doesn't like the rule, there's a process. Undermining doesn't work. Just ask the Mayor of Atlanta in the 1860's, lol.

If Texas enjoys being a part of the union, they need to enjoy some federal law. :D

Did you notice how your link conveniently omitted the crime(s) he was found guilty of? I find that decidedly inconvenient.

I didn't notice that, good catch. He was being executed, so I suppose he didn't steal bubble gum from a 7-11 :lol:

Just a reminder of his crime.... :eusa_whistle:

Marvin Wilson was convicted in the 1992 murder of 21-year-old Jerry Williams. Wilson murdered Williams because he believed the 21 year old snitched on him to the Beaumont Texas area police.

Marvin Wilson was a drug dealer and got busted. He believed Williams was responsible and so he killed him.

Retarded or not.... he knew what he was doing when he committed the murder.

Fuck him.... I hope it was painful! :mad:

Marvin Wilson was convicted in the 1992 murder of 21-year-old Jerry Williams. Wilson murdered Williams because he believed the 21 year old snitched on him to the Beaumont Texas area police.

Marvin Wilson was a drug dealer and got busted. He believed Williams was responsible and so he killed him.

:eusa_silenced: it was lethal injection.... :eusa_whistle:
kinda like a 7.5 on the oogah-boogah scale there infidel, why don't you ramp it up a notch & tell us what you really think :lol:

I suppose my question is what needs to happen for Texas to comply with a federal law that prohibits the execution of legitimately handicapped people?

Federal law does not on occasion recognise individual states' laws, so it is no surprise that Texas in this instance refuses to comply with Federal law.

Good for TX. I wish we put our death row inmates down in such a prompt fashion.

Truthfully i really don't care if he was retarded or not....he murdered and knew what he was doing.....

kinda like a 7.5 on the oogah-boogah scale there infidel, why don't you ramp it up a notch & tell us what you really think :lol:

Maybe the needle prick stung.... :eusa_think:

:doubt:

I suppose my question is what needs to happen for Texas to comply with a federal law that prohibits the execution of legitimately handicapped people?

Federal law does not on occasion recognise individual states' laws, so it is no surprise that Texas in this instance refuses to comply with Federal law.

My understanding is that if federal law doesn't recognize state law it's due to a state law undermining a federal law. Like they say in Dumb & Dumber, "You can't triple-stamp a double-stamp Lloyd!" Square peg, round hole...

If the state makes a law that isn't their place to make & the power rests on the federal gov't to decide, then naturally the federal gov't would say nuh uh.....not happenin'. Do I think states should have a say & say, yeah, fed, you can't do that, that's unconstitutional? Yes, I think they can & they should. Do I think nullification is legal? No I don't. People want it to be, but it's not legal. The supreme court shot it down. (Imagine that).

The bottom line is nullification is like a cold shoulder. It's sort of like Walden & Civil Disobedience by Henry David Thoreau. It works in peaceful protest, but when a state is silently & "civilly" disobeying, it's a touch more complex, especially when you have a law in place to protect incarcerated people who are beyond a shadow of a doubt proven to be mentally handicapped. Why would a state willfully disobey a law protecting mentally disabled people? (Should have asked that one from the beginning, lol)

I didn't notice that, good catch. He was being executed, so I suppose he didn't steal bubble gum from a 7-11 :lol:

Precisely... I think the entire story would have a decidedly different slant were they to discuss the evil deeds that got this guy executed in the first place. This isn't my first rodeo with political fluff pieces.

Maybe the needle prick stung.... :eusa_think:

:doubt:

I shouldn't laugh, but I did. It's not funny. but I can't stop smiling. :lol: I'm so going to hell. When I get there that guy will be there sucking his thumb with a propeller hat asking me if I want to get high. ugh..... that's it, I'm morally depraved :lol:

I'm not sure you appreciate what "retarded" means.

So who gets to decide if the guy is retarded? You? A test written by "experts"? A test administered by someone who just might have some political agenda? Sorry... The guy was convicted of some really bad shit, or he wouldn't have been on death row... My sympathy is nil.

Precisely... I think the entire story would have a decidedly different slant were they to discuss the evil deeds that got this guy executed in the first place. This isn't my first rodeo with political fluff pieces.

I'm kinda thinking as I type so bear w. me...

simply for the sake of playing devil's advocate, how much of an IQ does one need to sell drugs? In the same token, where do the characteristics of the mental disability come in to play when it comes to being paranoid or delusional that people are out to get him.

Can a person have an IQ of less than 70 & still be mentally competent? Intelligence is one thing. Competence & coherence would be another? I'm no expert, but is that the case?

If so, Texas would have a case. What gets me is they used a work of fiction to base their claim. That's like using star wars to justify invading Iran...lol.

So who gets to decide if the guy is retarded? You? A test written by "experts"? A test administered by someone who just might have some political agenda? Sorry... The guy was convicted of some really bad shit, or he wouldn't have been on death row... My sympathy is nil.

Do I get to decide? :lol: what's your IQ? :lol:

I know people out there have motives for doing things, but I also tend to not err on the side of a sort of conspiracy theory mentality in that I don't think people have 12 motives for doing x, y, z.

He was convicted. You're right. He was on death row. Evidence proved him guilty. He's still also (was) mentally retarded. Heck, I see them working at supermarkets working cash registers & bagging groceries. It's not a stretch to think it would be beyond his mental capacity to say, "15 bucks little man, put that shit in my hand, if that money doesn't show, then you owe me, owe me, owe...."

I suppose my underlying point is yeah, there's a crime, yeah there's evidence, but look at who did it. Why was the guy selling drugs? Stupid & honest enough not to screw the supplier over making him reliable, probably couldn't get work or hold a job anywhere. Someone with a gold grill in his teeth w. a sweet talker voice could have got him in there....these are the questions I'm essentially asking. As a human being I think it's essential to ask these questions before saying "f" him, he had it coming. That's the type of stuff I see in black & white movies when hicks hoot & holler in a court room shouting incoherently in anger.

Last edited:

I know people out there have motives for doing things, but I also tend to not err on the side of a sort of conspiracy theory mentality in that I don't think people have 12 motives for doing x, y, z.

He was convicted. You're right. He was on death row. Evidence proved him guilty. He's still also (was) mentally retarded. Heck, I see them working at supermarkets working cash registers & bagging groceries. It's not a stretch to think it would be beyond his mental capacity to say, "15 bucks little man, put that shit in my hand, if that money doesn't show, then you owe me, owe me, owe...."

I suppose my underlying point is yeah, there's a crime, yeah there's evidence, but look at who did it. Why was the guy selling drugs? Stupid & honest enough not to screw the supplier over making him reliable, probably couldn't get work or hold a job anywhere. Someone with a gold grill in his teeth w. a sweet talker voice could have got him in there....these are the questions I'm essentially asking. As a human being I think it's essential to ask these questions before saying "f" him, he had it coming. That's the type of stuff I see in black & white movies when hicks hoot & holler in a court room shouting incoherently in anger.

Who knows what anyone's IQ is? It's all subjective.

Who knows what anyone's IQ is? It's all subjective.

If some idiot liberal lawyer walked into my cell and said I was going to take a test to see if I was smart enough to be executed.... I'd be smearing shit on myself and heralding the praises of Barak Hussein Obama..... then they would kow I was a retard :badgrin:

Forum List

Back