Texas executes man w. 61 IQ

I'm agaisnt the death penalty, mostly due to cost. However I don't really care what crime they are guilty of , the retarded and children should never be put to death. Period.

It's actually more expensive to feed, clothe & provide preventative medical care to inmates than it is to execute them. Gas tablets, Electricity, lethal injection... cheaper than a years worth of food alone.
Bullshit.

Charles M. Harris, JD, Senior Judge of the Fifth District Court of Appeal in Florida, published the following in an opinion piece for The Gainesville Sun, on Apr. 18, 2012, available at gainesville.com:

"...[D]eath by execution is excessively expensive. Most people who support the death penalty believe it is more cost effective than life in prison. Perhaps at one time, when executions were swift and sure, this may have been the case. It is not now. Most people knowledgeable about the subject will agree that the delay now built into the system, more trial preparation, much longer time to get to trial, much longer jury selections and trials, much more complicated and far more frequent appeals, and continuous motions, have increased the cost of capital punishment so that it is now many times the cost of keeping a prisoner in prison for life."

Arthur L. Alarcon, LLB, Senior Judge for the US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, and Paula M. Mitchell, JD, Adjunct Professor of Law at Loyola Law School, wrote the following in the June 2011 article “Executing the Will of the Voters?: A Roadmap to Mend or End the California Legislature’s Multi-Billion-Dollar Death Penalty Debacle,” published in Loyola of Los Angeles Law Review:

"Our research has revealed that $4 billion of state and federal taxpayer money has been expended administering the death penalty in California since 1978, with a cost in 2009 of approximately $184 million above what taxpayers would have spent without the death penalty… These totals do not include the additional funds the state is poised to spend to maintain the current broken system...

In cases in which a defendant faces a maximum penalty of life without the possibility of parole, rather than the death penalty, there is no penalty phase trial at all. Thus, the government would not incur these costly expenditures if the death penalty were abolished…

The costs associated with death penalty trials that took place between 1983 and 2006 averaged about $1 million more per trial than the costs of average non–death penalty homicide trials. This conclusion is also supported by the fact that there are several significant, easily identifiable costs incurred in every death penalty trial that are not incurred in non–death penalty homicide."​

Does the death penalty cost less than life in prison without parole? - Death Penalty - ProCon.org

left out the appeals, etc etc etc. investigations etc etc etc...my bad.

~this stuff goes on for other inmates as well, not just death row. 99.99% of inmates are innocent (lol). They all get these investigations, appeals, etc. It costs more for capital inmates. But we're talking about the cost of the process of appeals, investigations. Not the cost of execution. Those are the costs leading up to execution. They're also cases where there's wiggle room for getting a shot at an appeal. I wonder if it's like that for those open & shut cases.

I guess what it boils down to is if a judge is 100% convinced the evidence was sufficient, then he should drop the hammer & sentence them to death. If he isn't 100% convinced, then he should use his discretion & waive the death penalty & give em life w/o parole. I'm sure this happens anyway in some cases. I don't know, I suppose the whole thing is stupid. I mean, why have a death penalty when you know it's going to suck resources dry?
Don't mind me, I'm kinda thinking outloud...lol.

Last edited:
Texas Executes Man with IQ of 61; State Cites Steinbeck

The link to the video of a news clip is above.

The man was executed via lethal injection and clinically mentally disabled. He sucked his thumb into adulthood. The state of Texas used "Of Mice & Men" by John Steinbeck as a reference. Sadly, Texas has a history of doing this. I mean executing mentally handicapped people. It was my understanding that there's a federal law in place that is intended to prevent such executions.

I suppose my question is what needs to happen for Texas to comply with a federal law that prohibits the execution of legitimately handicapped people? What are the consequences for undermining the law? Why is the law in place if Texas is above it? I was born there, so it kinda sucks, but I mean what the hell?!? :confused:

Good for TX. I wish we put our death row inmates down in such a prompt fashion.

Truthfully i really don't care if he was retarded or not....he murdered and knew what he was doing.....

I disagree. With an IQ of 61, his ability to differentiate right from wrong is severely hampered.

Binet Scale of Human Intelligence
Over 140 Genius or Near-Genius
120–139 Very Superior
110–119 Superior
90–109 Average or Normal
80–89 Dull Normal
70–79 Borderline
50–69 Moron
20–49 Imbecile
Below 20 Idiot

He was far too low down on the scale to make the kind of judgement to understand 'murder'. I find it despicable that a civilized country would support such amoral acts. And I say that as a supporter of the DP.

I'm agaisnt the death penalty, mostly due to cost. However I don't really care what crime they are guilty of , the retarded and children should never be put to death. Period.

It's actually more expensive to feed, clothe & provide preventative medical care to inmates than it is to execute them. Gas tablets, Electricity, lethal injection... cheaper than a years worth of food alone.

The expense of keeping a convicted murderer in prison for the rest of his life without possibility of parole is the price we pay for calling ourselves a civilized society.

Bullshit.

Charles M. Harris, JD, Senior Judge of the Fifth District Court of Appeal in Florida, published the following in an opinion piece for The Gainesville Sun, on Apr. 18, 2012, available at gainesville.com:

"...[D]eath by execution is excessively expensive. Most people who support the death penalty believe it is more cost effective than life in prison. Perhaps at one time, when executions were swift and sure, this may have been the case. It is not now. Most people knowledgeable about the subject will agree that the delay now built into the system, more trial preparation, much longer time to get to trial, much longer jury selections and trials, much more complicated and far more frequent appeals, and continuous motions, have increased the cost of capital punishment so that it is now many times the cost of keeping a prisoner in prison for life."

Arthur L. Alarcon, LLB, Senior Judge for the US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, and Paula M. Mitchell, JD, Adjunct Professor of Law at Loyola Law School, wrote the following in the June 2011 article “Executing the Will of the Voters?: A Roadmap to Mend or End the California Legislature’s Multi-Billion-Dollar Death Penalty Debacle,” published in Loyola of Los Angeles Law Review:

"Our research has revealed that $4 billion of state and federal taxpayer money has been expended administering the death penalty in California since 1978, with a cost in 2009 of approximately $184 million above what taxpayers would have spent without the death penalty… These totals do not include the additional funds the state is poised to spend to maintain the current broken system...

In cases in which a defendant faces a maximum penalty of life without the possibility of parole, rather than the death penalty, there is no penalty phase trial at all. Thus, the government would not incur these costly expenditures if the death penalty were abolished…

The costs associated with death penalty trials that took place between 1983 and 2006 averaged about $1 million more per trial than the costs of average non–death penalty homicide trials. This conclusion is also supported by the fact that there are several significant, easily identifiable costs incurred in every death penalty trial that are not incurred in non–death penalty homicide."​

Does the death penalty cost less than life in prison without parole? - Death Penalty - ProCon.org

~this stuff goes on for other inmates as well, not just death row. 99.99% of inmates are innocent (lol). They all get these investigations, appeals, etc. It costs more for capital inmates. But we're talking about the cost of the process of appeals, investigations. Not the cost of execution. Those are the costs leading up to execution. They're also cases where there's wiggle room for getting a shot at an appeal. I wonder if it's like that for those open & shut cases.

I guess what it boils down to is if a judge is 100% convinced the evidence was sufficient, then he should drop the hammer & sentence them to death. If he isn't 100% convinced, then he should use his discretion & waive the death penalty & give em life w/o parole. I'm sure this happens anyway in some cases. I don't know, I suppose the whole thing is stupid. I mean, why have a death penalty when you know it's going to suck resources dry?
It's great to think out loud.

I'm not a supporter of the DP...against it. The main reason is that there are mistakes made (as we all know) and the DP is, obviously, irreversible. So, better not to execute, than to execute an innocent. Secondly, the total cost of a death sentence is more.

Anyway, the reason the gavel doesn't come down and they take the perp out back to shoot is because the right to due process gives the right of appeal.

The man was executed via lethal injection and clinically mentally disabled. He sucked his thumb into adulthood. The state of Texas used "Of Mice & Men" by John Steinbeck as a reference. Sadly, Texas has a history of doing this. I mean executing mentally handicapped people. It was my understanding that there's a federal law in place that is intended to prevent such executions.

I suppose my question is what needs to happen for Texas to comply with a federal law that prohibits the execution of legitimately handicapped people? What are the consequences for undermining the law? Why is the law in place if Texas is above it? I was born there, so it kinda sucks, but I mean what the hell?!? :confused:

Good for TX. I wish we put our death row inmates down in such a prompt fashion.

Truthfully i really don't care if he was retarded or not....he murdered and knew what he was doing.....

I disagree. With an IQ of 61, his ability to differentiate right from wrong is severely hampered.

Binet Scale of Human Intelligence
Over 140 Genius or Near-Genius
120–139 Very Superior
110–119 Superior
90–109 Average or Normal
80–89 Dull Normal
70–79 Borderline
50–69 Moron
20–49 Imbecile
Below 20 Idiot

He was far too low down on the scale to make the kind of judgement to understand 'murder'. I find it despicable that a civilized country would support such amoral acts. And I say that as a supporter of the DP.

Is there someone else here also using the screen name of California Girl? :confused:

Bullshit.

I'm not a supporter of the DP...against it. The main reason is that there are mistakes made (as we all know) and the DP is, obviously, irreversible. So, better not to execute, than to execute an innocent. Secondly, the total cost of a death sentence is more.

Anyway, the reason the gavel doesn't come down and they take the perp out back to shoot is because the right to due process gives the right of appeal.

:clap2: you're right. It sucks because all we can do is watch it happen. We can write letters or organize demonstrations, but how much of an effect does that have? It's frustrating.

I believe in mercy killing and perhaps this fits in this catagory. I do not believe in killing someone for being mentally retarded but considering the crime he has committed it could be a way just to put him out of his misery. Gentle with no pain

Bullshit.

I get the potential mistakes argument, but considering the financial aspect is nonsense. It's about justice, not about money. I personally think we should keep the DP - and use it sparingly and with absolute certainty that the guilty party is guilty. It should be used for the most heinous of crimes - including those who murder children and LEOs... There are quite a few EU countries whose citizenry overwhelmingly support the return of the DP. Let's not follow their stupid 'justice' systems... it hasn't worked for them.

I get the potential mistakes argument, but considering the financial aspect is nonsense. It's about justice, not about money. I personally think we should keep the DP - and use it sparingly and with absolute certainty that the guilty party is guilty. It should be used for the most heinous of crimes - including those who murder children and LEOs... There are quite a few EU countries whose citizenry overwhelmingly support the return of the DP. Let's not follow their stupid 'justice' systems... it hasn't worked for them.
Thankfully, I've never been put is such a position where I'm involved in losing a loved one to murder, but I believe that as a surviving loved one of the victim, I would much rather see the POS rot in a prison for the rest of their lives than be humanely "put down".

I'm a vengeful bitch that way.

Thankfully, I've never been put is such a position where I'm involved in losing a loved one to murder, but I believe that as a surviving loved one of the victim, I would much rather see the POS rot in a prison for the rest of their lives than be humanely "put down".

See, I am too... but not when it comes to our justice system. I see the DP as the ultimate justice for the ultimate offenses. It's not about 'revenge', only about justice. There is a case for the DP - but there are far more cases where life w/o parole is sufficient. Thing with me is I tend not to get emotionally involved unless I see the verdict as an unjust one. I'm not one of the howling dogs who wants to spend 5 minutes in a room with some asshole who murdered a child. I am one who thinks if you kill our most vulnerable, or those whose job is to protect us, then you deserve the DP for that. Most others, not.

Just a reminder of his crime.... :eusa_whistle:

Marvin Wilson was convicted in the 1992 murder of 21-year-old Jerry Williams. Wilson murdered Williams because he believed the 21 year old snitched on him to the Beaumont Texas area police.

Marvin Wilson was a drug dealer and got busted. He believed Williams was responsible and so he killed him.

Retarded or not.... he knew what he was doing when he committed the murder.

Fuck him.... I hope it was painful! :mad:

Good point.

Nonsense. You can't say "I dont care what it costs". At the very least, you have to know what youre spending and tax payers in each state should be aware that they are flushing tax dollars down the drain so they can feel like justice was served.

See, I am too... but not when it comes to our justice system. I see the DP as the ultimate justice for the ultimate offenses. It's not about 'revenge', only about justice. There is a case for the DP - but there are far more cases where life w/o parole is sufficient. Thing with me is I tend not to get emotionally involved unless I see the verdict as an unjust one. I'm not one of the howling dogs who wants to spend 5 minutes in a room with some asshole who murdered a child. I am one who thinks if you kill our most vulnerable, or those whose job is to protect us, then you deserve the DP for that. Most others, not.
When it comes to the DP, or even to any sentence for incarceration (and as incarceration is far from any sort of rehabilitation), I don't buy that justice does not contain a large amount of vengeance.

Irrespective of that, I find that the potential of mistake is too compelling a reason for keeping the DP. Always have, since I was a kid.

I will never be in favor of the DP.

When it comes to the DP, or even to any sentence for incarceration (and as incarceration is far from any sort of rehabilitation), I don't buy that justice does not contain a large amount of vengeance.

Irrespective of that, I find that the potential of mistake is too compelling a reason for keeping the DP. Always have, since I was a kid.

I will never be in favor of the DP.

Then we make improvements to ensure that mistakes don't happen. But, I tell you this, there is a huge groundswell in Europe that want to bring it back. Living without it is not all it's made up to be. There are uncivilized people who deserve the justice of having their lives taken. It's sad, and it should be done for 'revenge' it should always be justice... an appropriate sentence for the crime. The problem with the US is that we hand it out without due consideration.

The expense of keeping a convicted murderer in prison for the rest of his life without possibility of parole is the price we pay for calling ourselves a civilized society.

It's the price we pay for patting ourselves on the back telling one another how civilized we are.

Vonda Pelto was the prison psychologist who gave therapy and counseling services to death row inmates. Of all who should know, she does, the consequences of accommodating death penalty inmates. They aren't innocent and wrongly accused. They did enjoy what they did. Not only did they enjoy what they did, but they also enjoyed reminiscing about who they killed and imagining their next victims if they but had the chance.

Forum List

Back