Texas executes man w. 61 IQ

So who gets to decide if the guy is retarded? You? A test written by "experts"? A test administered by someone who just might have some political agenda? Sorry... The guy was convicted of some really bad shit, or he wouldn't have been on death row... My sympathy is nil.

Do I get to decide? :lol: what's your IQ? :lol:

I know people out there have motives for doing things, but I also tend to not err on the side of a sort of conspiracy theory mentality in that I don't think people have 12 motives for doing x, y, z.

He was convicted. You're right. He was on death row. Evidence proved him guilty. He's still also (was) mentally retarded. Heck, I see them working at supermarkets working cash registers & bagging groceries. It's not a stretch to think it would be beyond his mental capacity to say, "15 bucks little man, put that shit in my hand, if that money doesn't show, then you owe me, owe me, owe...."

I suppose my underlying point is yeah, there's a crime, yeah there's evidence, but look at who did it. Why was the guy selling drugs? Stupid & honest enough not to screw the supplier over making him reliable, probably couldn't get work or hold a job anywhere. Someone with a gold grill in his teeth w. a sweet talker voice could have got him in there....these are the questions I'm essentially asking. As a human being I think it's essential to ask these questions before saying "f" him, he had it coming. That's the type of stuff I see in black & white movies when hicks hoot & holler in a court room shouting incoherently in anger.

Who knows what anyone's IQ is? It's all subjective.

A standardized test based on decades of research? It's subjective, maybe, but still an accurate gauge. If it's useful enough in statistics, perhaps it's useful enough in court rooms?

I know people out there have motives for doing things, but I also tend to not err on the side of a sort of conspiracy theory mentality in that I don't think people have 12 motives for doing x, y, z.

He was convicted. You're right. He was on death row. Evidence proved him guilty. He's still also (was) mentally retarded. Heck, I see them working at supermarkets working cash registers & bagging groceries. It's not a stretch to think it would be beyond his mental capacity to say, "15 bucks little man, put that shit in my hand, if that money doesn't show, then you owe me, owe me, owe...."

I suppose my underlying point is yeah, there's a crime, yeah there's evidence, but look at who did it. Why was the guy selling drugs? Stupid & honest enough not to screw the supplier over making him reliable, probably couldn't get work or hold a job anywhere. Someone with a gold grill in his teeth w. a sweet talker voice could have got him in there....these are the questions I'm essentially asking. As a human being I think it's essential to ask these questions before saying "f" him, he had it coming. That's the type of stuff I see in black & white movies when hicks hoot & holler in a court room shouting incoherently in anger.

If some idiot liberal lawyer walked into my cell and said I was going to take a test to see if I was smart enough to be executed.... I'd be smearing shit on myself and heralding the praises of Barak Hussein Obama..... then they would kow I was a retard :badgrin:

LOL, it takes genius to fake stupidity & be convincing, I'll give you that. Just ask my fiancee!

Also conveniently omitted is that the Supreme Court affirmed his conviction and sentence, not just a Texas court.

He was obviously competent enough to run a drug dealing business. Good riddance.

Texas Executes Man with IQ of 61; State Cites Steinbeck

The link to the video of a news clip is above.

The man was executed via lethal injection and clinically mentally disabled. He sucked his thumb into adulthood. The state of Texas used "Of Mice & Men" by John Steinbeck as a reference. Sadly, Texas has a history of doing this. I mean executing mentally handicapped people. It was my understanding that there's a federal law in place that is intended to prevent such executions.

I suppose my question is what needs to happen for Texas to comply with a federal law that prohibits the execution of legitimately handicapped people? What are the consequences for undermining the law? Why is the law in place if Texas is above it? I was born there, so it kinda sucks, but I mean what the hell?!? :confused:

Good for TX. I wish we put our death row inmates down in such a prompt fashion.

Truthfully i really don't care if he was retarded or not....he murdered and knew what he was doing.....

i so totally disagree....we are still releasing men from prison after being found innocent or cleared by dna....why rush? and why should the state be involved in killing anyone?

A standardized test based on decades of research? It's subjective, maybe, but still an accurate gauge. If it's useful enough in statistics, perhaps it's useful enough in court rooms?

And nobody who takes it would ever skew their own answers if it meant life or death right? Believe me if I was staring a death sentence in the face I'd suddenly act very stupidly if saving my own skin were the result of a test I had to take.

Also conveniently omitted is that the Supreme Court affirmed his conviction and sentence, not just a Texas court.

He was obviously competent enough to run a drug dealing business. Good riddance.

Yet another compassionate conservative checks in on this issue.

Compassion for the guy who was executed, or compassion for the victim(s) the piece chose not to mention?

I'm agaisnt the death penalty, mostly due to cost. However I don't really care what crime they are guilty of , the retarded and children should never be put to death. Period.

Mostly due to cost? So you would rather feed, clothe, and pay people to watch over someone for however many decades it takes someone to serve out a life sentence... Yeah, that is far cheaper. :lol:

I'm agaisnt the death penalty, mostly due to cost. However I don't really care what crime they are guilty of , the retarded and children should never be put to death. Period.

Mostly due to cost? So you would rather feed, clothe, and pay people to watch over someone for however many decades it takes someone to serve out a life sentence... Yeah, that is far cheaper. :lol:

Yeah, it is.

Compassion for the guy who was executed, or compassion for the victim(s) the piece chose not to mention?

There is never compassion for the victims. Surely you've noticed. The closest liberals can get to compassion is saying "they're dead, nothing will bring them back".

Of course I have compassion for the victim. But killing the defendant in return isn't the answer. All that does is demean the society that does it - but, then, we are dealing with the Great State of Texas. Kind of tough to drag them any lower than they already are.

And when the defendant is mentally challenged, it increased the degradation of the state that executes him.

There is never compassion for the victims. Surely you've noticed. The closest liberals can get to compassion is saying "they're dead, nothing will bring them back".

Of course there is compassion for the victim. We just don't express it by killing the defendant.

The defendant should be free to make other victims!

Is this part of the pursuit of happiness thing?

It wasn't Texas, it really was the Supreme Court that upheld the sentence. Being mentally "challenged" is not a license to murder others.

It's threads like this that remind me why I am liberal Democrat.

Thanks, guys and gals.

It's funny, I'm not as far left as you, more libertarian than anything. Staunchly conservative where I need to be & staunchly liberal where I need to be, lol. I'm anything but a party absolutist, lol. THAT being said, it's my 2nd day here & it seems like I'm stuck in an episode of "Planet of the Apes". I also wonder if there's an age gap between the people more relaxed & the ones that are registering a 7.5 on the ooga-booga scale, lol. Thanks for posting!

It's actually more expensive to feed, clothe & provide preventative medical care to inmates than it is to execute them. Gas tablets, Electricity, lethal injection... cheaper than a years worth of food alone.

It's actually more expensive to feed, clothe & provide preventative medical care to inmates than it is to execute them. Gas tablets, Electricity, lethal injection... cheaper than a years worth of food alone.

Actuallly, it's not for most states.

Costs of the Death Penalty | Death Penalty Information Center

Forum List

Back