Teenager won't apologize to Kansas governor for tweet

Here is the link to the student code of conduct for the MO Youth in Government Plan including the disciplinary procedures. The organization has standards to uphold and the students are representing their schools. I guess this young lady and her mom didn't read what they signed.

http://www.moyig.org/forms/Participation Agreement-Student.pdf

An apology could have been written to explain what she meant by "he blows", but that would have taken too much time away from her tweeting.

If she insulted the president or even any other adult while in this program, she should be asked to apologize. Sheez.

This is why schools can no longer deal with discipline. Apology letters are considered cruel and unusual treatment, and even subject to a lawsuit. Students are permitted to say or do anything they want without consequence. Moral relativism rules.
If she owes anyone an apology, it's the YMCA, not the governor.

I'm no fan of twitter, but my feelings about that have nothing to do with the fact that Brokeback's people overreacted and it reflected very poorly on him. But as usual, the best part about these 'non' stories is watching the partisan mobs lose their shit in the ensuing multi-page freak out.

I think it's brilliant that she tweeted her thoughts. For too long politicians have made younger generations so cynical about politics, that they are disingaged. Glad to see somebody so young is interested enough to offer an opinion...

Somehow, it makes perfect sense that you would think tweeting a mindless jab to be "brilliant."

You're kind of a "lowered expectations" sort...

I think it's brilliant that she tweeted her thoughts. For too long politicians have made younger generations so cynical about politics, that they are disingaged. Glad to see somebody so young is interested enough to offer an opinion...

Somehow, it makes perfect sense that you would think tweeting a mindless jab to be "brilliant."

You're kind of a "lowered expectations" sort...

Note..Honesty was not a requirement.

Its not about her tweet. Its about an elected official going after her because of her "dummy" tweet.

In what way did he "go after her?" He asked for an apology - OH MY GAWDDDDDD

Its shows his character or lack there of. Believe me, this is blowing up in his face because he tattled on a high school girl.

Good for her. I hope this guy does not get elected next time as well. ( I looked into his politicies. No wonder she fells this way about him.) He does suck.

You're a fucking moron, seriously.

Twitter is nothing but people yapping about nonsense

So, a lot like this forum, then?

just like those reality shows. Can you honestly say that you care whether or not kim cardassian wore a lemon yellow cream puff dress to her fake wedding versus blue shuffon with a burgundy flora arrangement?

Twitter is mostly mindless. I do use it to find out if the train is going to be late.

omg!

suzy just said rachel is a slut because she kissed david, who really likes lisa but lisa doesnt like him........

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - A Kansas teenager who wrote a disparaging tweet about Gov. Sam Brownback said Sunday that she is rejecting her high school principal’s demand for a written apology.

Emma Sullivan, 18, of the Kansas City suburb of Fairway, said she isn’t sorry and doesn’t think such a letter would be sincere.

The Shawnee Mission East senior was taking part in a Youth in Government program last week in Topeka, Kan., when she sent out a tweet from the back of a crowd of students listening to Brownback’s greeting. From her cellphone, she thumbed: “Just made mean comments at gov. brownback,” and then specified what the comments were.

She actually made no such comment and said she was “just joking with friends.” But Brownback’s office, which monitors social media for postings containing the governor’s name, saw Sullivan’s post and contacted the Youth in Government program.

Sullivan received a scolding at school and was ordered to send Brownback an apology letter. She said Prinicipal Karl R. Krawitz even suggested talking points for the letter she was supposed to turn in Monday.

The situation exploded after Sullivan’s older sister contacted the media. Since then, Sullivan’s following on Twitter has grown to about 3,000 people, up from about 65 before the tweet. She said she thinks the tweet has helped “open up dialogue” about free speech in social media..

Sullivan said she disagrees with Brownback politically, particularly his decision to veto the Kansas Arts Commission’s entire budget, which eliminated the state’s arts funding. Brownback has argued arts programs can flourish with private dollars and that state funds should go to core government functions, such as education and social services.

“I think it would be interesting to have a dialogue with him,” she said. “I don’t know if he would do it or not though. And I don’t know that he would listen to what I have to say.”

Sherriene Jones-Sontag, the governor’s spokeswoman, told The Star previously that Sullivan’s message wasn’t respectful and that it takes mutual respect to “really have a constructive dialogue.” Brownback’s office didn’t return calls or emails Sunday from the AP.

Teen tweeter won't apologize to Sam Brownback - Associated Press - POLITICO.com

Interesting story.

I'm not sure what else to say other than its interesting. What are you looking to discuss?

It highlights, yet again, that politicians are just employees of the people. They need to be reminded of this as was Don Young (R) last week ;)

Twitter is nothing but people yapping about nonsense

So, a lot like this forum, then?

just like those reality shows. Can you honestly say that you care whether or not kim cardassian wore a lemon yellow cream puff dress to her fake wedding versus blue shuffon with a burgundy flora arrangement?

Twitter is mostly mindless. I do use it to find out if the train is going to be late.

Some of us like to have a honest discussion, but yes something like this board.

Here is the link to the student code of conduct for the MO Youth in Government Plan including the disciplinary procedures. The organization has standards to uphold and the students are representing their schools. I guess this young lady and her mom didn't read what they signed.

http://www.moyig.org/forms/Participation Agreement-Student.pdf

An apology could have been written to explain what she meant by "he blows", but that would have taken too much time away from her tweeting.

If she insulted the president or even any other adult while in this program, she should be asked to apologize. Sheez.

This is why schools can no longer deal with discipline. Apology letters are considered cruel and unusual treatment, and even subject to a lawsuit. Students are permitted to say or do anything they want without consequence. Moral relativism rules.

If the Y wants to address her actions, that's up to them. But nobody here has been talking about that. We're discussing whether the Gov. was over reacting to pitch a fit about this girl's comment which was made between her and her friends, whether it's appropriate or not for the government to be monitoring social media for people who dissent from the government, and why in the Hell the principle ever insisted on being involved in the first place.

1. I don't know why social media is monitored in the state house, but I imagine that the kids were told to turn off their phones. It's common courtesy in any public venue.
2. THE PRINCIPAL IS INVOLVED. It was a school sponsored trip. If she was acting as an individual and attending the state house with her family, that would be a separate issue.
3. I am fairly certain that it was not the GOVERNOR monitoring her tweets. My guess is that the information came from a liaison with the program.

An apology letter for Christ sakes! She could have articulated her dissent far better in a letter than with "heblows". I'm sure the publicity will serve her well when she applies to college. :doubt:

Just because you have the "right" to say something, doesn't make it right. See Westboro Baptist Church.

1. I don't know why social media is monitored in the state house, but I imagine that the kids were told to turn off their phones. It's common courtesy in any public venue.
2. THE PRINCIPAL IS INVOLVED. It was a school sponsored trip. If she was acting as an individual and attending the state house with her family, that would be a separate issue.
3. I am fairly certain that it was not the GOVERNOR monitoring her tweets. My guess is that the information came from a liaison with the program.

An apology letter for Christ sakes! She could have articulated her dissent far better in a letter than with "heblows". I'm sure the publicity will serve her well when she applies to college. :doubt:

Just because you have the "right" to say something, doesn't make it right. See Westboro Baptist Church.

The governor's office monitors twitter for any mention of the governor. It's really pretty easy. Just because twitter is public and searchable doesn't mean a governor should meltdown over what a bunch of school girls giggle over.

It's a YMCA program.

It was still the Governor's office and staff.

Free speech should not be defended because it is "right" but because it is everyone's right.

Huh? Was she arrested? She had the "right" to say what she did. She just has to accept the consequences that were agreed upon in the student code of conduct. The reality is that she was probably joking. It was not a "political statement". It was stupid kid stuff. That's all she needed to say in her letter.

Children do not have the same free speech rights as adults when they are at school or at a school sponsored event. God forbid.

Huh? Was she arrested? She had the "right" to say what she did. She just has to accept the consequences that were agreed upon in the student code of conduct. The reality is that she was probably joking. It was not a "political statement". It was stupid kid stuff. That's all she needed to say in her letter.

Children do not have the same free speech rights as adults when they are at school or at a school sponsored event. God forbid.

except she is 18, she is an adult......

It's a YMCA program.

So?

It was still the Governor's office and staff.

So?

Free speech should not be defended because it is "right" but because it is everyone's right.

Because you are a child, you cannot grasp that actions have consequence.

I support your right to hit your foot with an ax. The consequence of that act is your own problem.

I'm afraid I'll have to take the opposing view on this one.

Yes, a voter has the right to critisize a politician but there is a right way and wrong way to do that. First of all what she "tweeted" (whatever the hell that is) was a lie. She never openly spoke to him as she alluded to. Second, if she had that would have been enormously disrespectful. My daughters have been raised to respect their elders. And that girl should be able to express her opinion without telling some older than her that "You suck". I would have raised holy hell with either of my daughters had they done that and forced them to apologize.

Something tells me that if it were some 8 year student who said "Obama SUCKS!!!" you'd be singing a different sanky. I call BS.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - A Kansas teenager who wrote a disparaging tweet about Gov. Sam Brownback said Sunday that she is rejecting her high school principal’s demand for a written apology.

Emma Sullivan, 18, of the Kansas City suburb of Fairway, said she isn’t sorry and doesn’t think such a letter would be sincere.

The Shawnee Mission East senior was taking part in a Youth in Government program last week in Topeka, Kan., when she sent out a tweet from the back of a crowd of students listening to Brownback’s greeting. From her cellphone, she thumbed: “Just made mean comments at gov. brownback,” and then specified what the comments were.

She actually made no such comment and said she was “just joking with friends.” But Brownback’s office, which monitors social media for postings containing the governor’s name, saw Sullivan’s post and contacted the Youth in Government program.

Sullivan received a scolding at school and was ordered to send Brownback an apology letter. She said Prinicipal Karl R. Krawitz even suggested talking points for the letter she was supposed to turn in Monday.

The situation exploded after Sullivan’s older sister contacted the media. Since then, Sullivan’s following on Twitter has grown to about 3,000 people, up from about 65 before the tweet. She said she thinks the tweet has helped “open up dialogue” about free speech in social media..

Sullivan said she disagrees with Brownback politically, particularly his decision to veto the Kansas Arts Commission’s entire budget, which eliminated the state’s arts funding. Brownback has argued arts programs can flourish with private dollars and that state funds should go to core government functions, such as education and social services.

“I think it would be interesting to have a dialogue with him,” she said. “I don’t know if he would do it or not though. And I don’t know that he would listen to what I have to say.”

Sherriene Jones-Sontag, the governor’s spokeswoman, told The Star previously that Sullivan’s message wasn’t respectful and that it takes mutual respect to “really have a constructive dialogue.” Brownback’s office didn’t return calls or emails Sunday from the AP.

Teen tweeter won't apologize to Sam Brownback - Associated Press - POLITICO.com

I meant to follow her. I tweeted my support for her. Good thread. :clap2:

Forum List

Back