Teenager won't apologize to Kansas governor for tweet

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Chris, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Chris

Chris Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,089
    KANSAS CITY, Mo. - A Kansas teenager who wrote a disparaging tweet about Gov. Sam Brownback said Sunday that she is rejecting her high school principal’s demand for a written apology.

Emma Sullivan, 18, of the Kansas City suburb of Fairway, said she isn’t sorry and doesn’t think such a letter would be sincere.

The Shawnee Mission East senior was taking part in a Youth in Government program last week in Topeka, Kan., when she sent out a tweet from the back of a crowd of students listening to Brownback’s greeting. From her cellphone, she thumbed: “Just made mean comments at gov. brownback,” and then specified what the comments were.

She actually made no such comment and said she was “just joking with friends.” But Brownback’s office, which monitors social media for postings containing the governor’s name, saw Sullivan’s post and contacted the Youth in Government program.

Sullivan received a scolding at school and was ordered to send Brownback an apology letter. She said Prinicipal Karl R. Krawitz even suggested talking points for the letter she was supposed to turn in Monday.

The situation exploded after Sullivan’s older sister contacted the media. Since then, Sullivan’s following on Twitter has grown to about 3,000 people, up from about 65 before the tweet. She said she thinks the tweet has helped “open up dialogue” about free speech in social media..

Sullivan said she disagrees with Brownback politically, particularly his decision to veto the Kansas Arts Commission’s entire budget, which eliminated the state’s arts funding. Brownback has argued arts programs can flourish with private dollars and that state funds should go to core government functions, such as education and social services.

“I think it would be interesting to have a dialogue with him,” she said. “I don’t know if he would do it or not though. And I don’t know that he would listen to what I have to say.”

Sherriene Jones-Sontag, the governor’s spokeswoman, told The Star previously that Sullivan’s message wasn’t respectful and that it takes mutual respect to “really have a constructive dialogue.” Brownback’s office didn’t return calls or emails Sunday from the AP.

Teen tweeter won't apologize to Sam Brownback - Associated Press - POLITICO.com

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. imbalance

imbalance Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +163
    first

3. Dot Com

Dot Com Nullius in verba Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,309
  4. occupied

occupied Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,796
    God himself could not force an apology from me for criticizing a politician.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. DaGoose

DaGoose Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +676
    I'm afraid I'll have to take the opposing view on this one.

Yes, a voter has the right to critisize a politician but there is a right way and wrong way to do that. First of all what she "tweeted" (whatever the hell that is) was a lie. She never openly spoke to him as she alluded to. Second, if she had that would have been enormously disrespectful. My daughters have been raised to respect their elders. And that girl should be able to express her opinion without telling some older than her that "You suck". I would have raised holy hell with either of my daughters had they done that and forced them to apologize.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  6. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,530
    Brownback is a paranoid little twerp.......

<Is he going to investigate me for this?>

7. Grampa Murked U

Grampa Murked U Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,967
    She is a child playing with her toys. Unless her tweets were vulgar who fucking cares. If they were her parents should care. Otherwise your just desperate to change the subject from real issues Chris.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  8. occupied

occupied Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,796
    Old enough to vote, old enough to complain about politicians. What's the deal with a forced apology anyway? Only a total prick would demand one or accept one, especially now that the sordid mess went public.

9. Conservative

Conservative Type 40

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,030
    What was the student prevented from saying? Nothing.

Oh, and since the Principal is the one who told her to apologize (which he has no right to do, IMHO), please prove his Republican party affiliation.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  10. Si modo

Si modo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,703
    What Republican is stifling her speech?

The school is telling her to apologize. Is the principal Republican? I didn't see any mention of the principal's party affiliation in the piece.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2