Ted Cruz Declared A 'Naturalized Citizen' And Eligible To Be President

How about posting a link to this "law" you keep referring to.

If you read back through this thread, you will see where I indicated that I was wrong.

I even posted article II part one of the constitution that indicates the correct criteria for a candidate to be considered for POTUS. Only problem is, it does not define "natural born citizen."

The Dept of State makes the determination of US Citizens born abroad. I posted the link once, here it is again.

Birth of U.S. Citizens Abroad

According to the Dept. of State, an application for citizenship must be submitted and approved for a foriegn born child with one or even both parents being American citizens. The application can be denied. Interestingly, a child born in a US Territory is not requirded to make such application. This may indicate the difference between a natural born citizen and citizen of some other status.

If you read back through this thread, you will see where I indicated that I was wrong.

I even posted article II part one of the constitution that indicates the correct criteria for a candidate to be considered for POTUS. Only problem is, it does not define "natural born citizen."

The Dept of State makes the determination of US Citizens born abroad. I posted the link once, here it is again.

According to the Dept. of State, an application for citizenship must be submitted and approved for a foriegn born child with one or even both parents being American citizens. The application can be denied. Interestingly, a child born in a US Territory is not requirded to make such application. This may indicate the difference between a natural born citizen and citizen of some other status.

There are no separate citizenship status for those born in US Territories and the States all are considered natural born citizens, as are children born abroad to US Citizens.

But it is just as fun. Obama is legally eligible to be president and Cruz is not.

False.

That depends on what is meant by ‘eligible.’

The president and Cruz are eligible to be president as both are naturally born citizens – the president was born in the United States and Cruz as a consequence of this mother’s US citizenship.

Cruz is not eligible to be president, however, because of his errant position on the issues, his clear contempt for sound, responsible governance, and his attempt to recklessly force the Nation into default.

Ooh, you were on a nice logical role until your partisanship reared its ugly head. Figures.

There's so many reasons not to vote for Cruz.

A laughing stock is what he'd make this nation.

At least Cruz is qualified as a "natural-born" to be President.

You qualify as a dumbass because Cruz stands for what is good and Constitutional in our country!:eusa_angel:

If he was born in Kenya, Obama was technically "naturalized" since his mother did not meet the residency requirement that was law at that time.

You can not give one example of what makes Cruz a "natural born citizen" as ruled by federal case law, let alone SCOTUS. Not one. It is only your opinion, and that opinion differs from objective constitutional scholars. As far as someone being a dumbass because they have a differing opinion that doesn't agree with yours, well, that in itself speaks volumes about you and how superior you think you are to everyone and anyone that disagrees with you.

You also can't can't give one example of what makes Obama a "natural born citizen" as ruled by federal case law, let alone SCOTUS.

A person born in U.S. territory has the place of his birth noted on his birth certificate. Therefor, the government already has all the proof needed that he/she is a citizen. If you have a foreign birth certificate, you need to provide other means, obviously. Otherwise, virtually everyone could claim they are natural born citizens. Also, a person born on U.S. soil does not need a passport to travel to other parts of the U.S. A person born in a foreign country needs a passport to travel to the U.S. Hence, the difference in treatment.

Read the damn thing - you telling me that all these criteria were met? Maybe they were - I don't know.

Bye.

Please don't ask me shit else - we are at an impasse ... .

If you don't want to debate, then shut the fuck up.

There are no separate citizenship status for those born in US Territories and the States all are considered natural born citizens, as are children born abroad to US Citizens.

I question the "...as are children born abroad to US Citizens." part. From what I have been able to find, it is obvious that children born in a US Territory, on a military base, consulate or embassy property or other property under US jurisdiction are "natural born", but than why is there even a phrase "natural born" in the constitution? There seems to be no legal or constitutional reason to deny citizenship to a child born in the US or it's territories or under US jurisdiction. A mother can come to the USA 8 1/2 months pregnant, have her child and return to whatever country she came from, with the child. The child is by constitutional authority a "natural born citizen". The child doesn't have to apply for anything and is at no risk of loosing his or her citizenship. The kids citizenship can not be taken away. I see a difference between that and having to "apply" with the chance of being denied. No matter how trivial the application might be, being born overseas in a foriegn country appears to be different than "natural born". I'm not prepared to take either side. I don't know the answer and I don't think anyone else does. Until a constitutional judgement is made, I don't think the question will be answered.

I question the "...as are children born abroad to US Citizens." part. From what I have been able to find, it is obvious that children born in a US Territory, on a military base, consulate or embassy property or other property under US jurisdiction are "natural born", but than why is there even a phrase "natural born" in the constitution? There seems to be no legal or constitutional reason to deny citizenship to a child born in the US or it's territories or under US jurisdiction. A mother can come to the USA 8 1/2 months pregnant, have her child and return to whatever country she came from, with the child. The child is by constitutional authority a "natural born citizen". The child doesn't have to apply for anything and is at no risk of loosing his or her citizenship. The kids citizenship can not be taken away. I see a difference between that and having to "apply" with the chance of being denied. No matter how trivial the application might be, being born overseas in a foriegn country appears to be different than "natural born". I'm not prepared to take either side. I don't know the answer and I don't think anyone else does. Until a constitutional judgement is made, I don't think the question will be answered.

I would argue that such a child is not "natural born." I think you are natural born citizen only if one or both of your parents are U.S. The constitution does not define "natural born." However, the clause in the 14th amendment was meant to make all black slaves in the U.S. into citizens. I don't think it's authors intended it to mean that anyone could come here and have a child that was a U.S. citizen.

It wasn't a big issue in 1865 because it was so difficult for people from other countries to get here. The authors never foresaw a situation where millions of people could travel to the United States in a matter of hours and have a child who would then be a citizen. If they had, they would have worded the 14th Amendment more carefully.

Did any of you listen to the video all the way to the end? Levin provides an excellent argument and rationale for why Ted Cruz is a 'natural born citizen' just as he has consistently argued against the Birther's assertion that Obama is not a 'natural born citizen'.

Wiki can be your friend:

For persons born between December 24, 1952 and November 14, 1986, a person is a U.S. citizen if all of the following are true:[8]

1. The person's parents were married at the time of birth
2. One of the person's parents was a U.S. citizen when the person was born
3. The citizen parent lived at least ten years in the United States before the child's birth;
4. A minimum of 5 of these 10 years in the United States were after the citizen parent's 14th birthday.

For persons born out of wedlock, the person is a U.S. citizen if all the following apply:

1. the mother was a U.S. citizen at the time of the person's birth and
2. the mother was physically present in the United States or one of its outlying possessions for a continuous period of one year prior to the person's birth.[9] (See link for those born to a U.S. father out of wedlock)[8]

United States nationality law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's so many reasons not to vote for Cruz.

A laughing stock is what he'd make this nation.

You qualify as a dumbass because Cruz stands for what is good and Constitutional in our country!:eusa_angel:

If he was born in Kenya, Obama was technically "naturalized" since his mother did not meet the residency requirement that was law at that time.

You can not give one example of what makes Cruz a "natural born citizen" as ruled by federal case law, let alone SCOTUS. Not one. It is only your opinion, and that opinion differs from objective constitutional scholars. As far as someone being a dumbass because they have a differing opinion that doesn't agree with yours, well, that in itself speaks volumes about you and how superior you think you are to everyone and anyone that disagrees with you.

Criticizing Cruz and making fun of him for being constitutional and patriotic makes you a dumbass IMHO. Try reading other scholars.

Wiki can be your friend:

For persons born between December 24, 1952 and November 14, 1986, a person is a U.S. citizen if all of the following are true:[8]

1. The person's parents were married at the time of birth
2. One of the person's parents was a U.S. citizen when the person was born
3. The citizen parent lived at least ten years in the United States before the child's birth;
4. A minimum of 5 of these 10 years in the United States were after the citizen parent's 14th birthday.

For persons born out of wedlock, the person is a U.S. citizen if all the following apply:

1. the mother was a U.S. citizen at the time of the person's birth and
2. the mother was physically present in the United States or one of its outlying possessions for a continuous period of one year prior to the person's birth.[9] (See link for those born to a U.S. father out of wedlock)[8]

United States nationality law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You are correct. As I have been saying, Obama's mother did not technically meet the requirement and it Obama was born in Kenya, he would be "naturalized" not "natural born," and would not be qualified to be President. I realize not all scholars agree this is a make or break deal, but so be it.

Born in Hawai'i to an American citizen is the "one example of what makes Obama a 'natural born citizen'".

That's the end of it.

The only thing left is all of the disappointed wailing from the birfer right.

Born in Hawai'i to an American citizen is the "one example of what makes Obama a 'natural born citizen'".

That's the end of it.

Not true at all. It makes him a citizen by statute. A statutory citizen (bestowed by man's pen) can never be a "natural born" citizen (bestowed by God/nature). Also, since he produced a forged birth certificate, there is no way to know where he was born.

Read the damn thing - you telling me that all these criteria were met? Maybe they were - I don't know.

Bye.

Please don't ask me shit else - we are at an impasse ... .

If you don't want to debate, then shut the fuck up.

Sure thing tough guy.

that-guys-actually-pretty-badass-240x180.jpg

I got really mad at someone on the internet once:

I went to go hit him, but he wasn't there....

I tried to go to his house to fight him, but I didn't know where he lived....

Then, I realized that the only power I had over him was to pound my keyboard and tell him:

"SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!"

That's when it dawned on me, that I had no power.

He put me on ignore!!!!!!

I still can't talk about it ... .

That's the end of it.

Not true at all. It makes him a citizen by statute. A statutory citizen (bestowed by man's pen) can never be a "natural born" citizen (bestowed by God/nature). Also, since he produced a forged birth certificate, there is no way to know where he was born.

Forged? Steve....

You disappoint me.

Criticizing Cruz and making fun of him for being constitutional and patriotic makes you a dumbass IMHO. Try reading other scholars.

I haven't been criticizing or making fun of Cruz. This thread has more objective viewpoints than most. Folks from differing spectrums of political views are discussing a constitutional and legal issue. Intellectual discussions seem to be beyond the capibility of you obsessed birthers. You fit all the stereotype qualities of the typical birther. You make stuff up, you demand that others agree with your opinions as if they were fact, but you can't back up your bullcrap so you resort to name calling. So, the first sentence in your comment is an outright lie laced with a debated opinion that makes me a dumbass if I don't agree with it. Your next sentence tells me to read other scholars, but you don't suggest which ones or give a link to any that might dispute what I have written in my post. You can't back up your bs. So, show us a link to a recognized objective constitutional scholar that disputes what I have written.

Citizenship is actually straightforward:

To become a citizen at birth, you must:

Have been born in the United States or certain territories or outlying possessions of the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction of the United States; OR

had a parent or parents who were citizens at the time of your birth (if you were born abroad) and meet other requirements

U.S. Citizenship | USCIS

The president is in the first category, Cruz the second – both are eligible to be president.

Mark Levin needs anger management and has truly gone off the deep end. What he said last night proves that he is no more a constitutional lawyer than Obama is. Levin said that Ted Cruz is a naturalized Citizen and eligible for the presidency. Where in the presidential clause does it call for a 'naturalized Citizen' to be president? It doesn't. That is like saying a Mexican or Iranian national can cross the border into the U.S. and take the naturalization test and oath of allegiance and in some mythical instance, they become a natural born Citizen that qualifies to meet the founders original intent to be president. The truth is Ted Cruz was born a dual Citizen in a foreign sovereignty with split allegiances. A natural born Citizen is a person born with sole allegiance to the United States. Dual-citizens by birth need not apply to be President and Commander-in-Chief. Mark Levin’s misstatements and disinformation Thursday were unbelievable and shocking. People like Levin and true conservatives should stand up for the Constitution and the founders original intent of what a true natural born Citizen is and stop being political opportunists like Levin is doing. Here is the brief radio segment to listen to:

Mark Levin Declares Sen. Cruz Naturalized Citizen - YouTube

Cruz was born in Canada and therefore not eligible to be President.

Forum List

Back