Teaching economics in schools.

Today, some of my freshmen students were choosing electives for next year. More than a few (with some encouragement) chose Introduction to Business or Basic Economics.

Why don't you just tell them the right books:

The Accounting Game: Basic Accounting Fresh From the Lemonade Stand
http://www.exceltip.com/book-1570713960.html
Foolish Book Review The Accounting Game

Radically Simple Accounting by Madeline Bailey
QC Computing. Making Your Business More Profitable

psik

economics can be taught in high school, both sides of different theories need to be taught. It doesn't have to be one sided, or 2 sided, it could be more... why not?

It can be taught that way, but from my experience it usually isn't. When I was teaching I got into a lot of trouble for teaching multiple points of view. When I explained that my strategy was to provide all possible arguments and encourage my students to reach their own conclusions, the dean actually told me 'we don't want them to think for themselves. We want them to believe what we tell them to believe.' That was my last semester teaching at that school.

When I was teaching I got into a lot of trouble for teaching multiple points of view. When I explained that my strategy was to provide all possible arguments and encourage my students to reach their own conclusions, the dean actually told me 'we don't want them to think for themselves. We want them to believe what we tell them to believe.' That was my last semester teaching at that school.

It is really disgusting how much that does not surprise me.

I went to a Catholic grade school but decided I was an agnostic from reading so much science fiction. In those days the writers were mostly out of the box thinkers. Unfortunately SF has gotten dumber since Star Wars.

from reading so much science fiction. ....

Ya don't say. The one and only theme in your entire life. How amazingly interesting.......................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

the dean actually told me 'we don't want them to think for themselves. We want them to believe what we tell them to believe.' ....

You are completely full of shit.

Ok whatever. It's not like I was recording the conversation ....

Good thing, since you're lying your ass off.

Like I said. Whatever. Just curious though. My motivation for lying would be what exactly?

the dean actually told me 'we don't want them to think for themselves. We want them to believe what we tell them to believe.' ....

My motivation for lying would be what exactly?

Unnecessary exaggeration to make a political point. Stop lying.

My motivation for lying would be what exactly?

Unnecessary exaggeration to make a political point. Stop lying.

What political point was I making? I don't seem to recall identifying the dean's political leanings nor did I suggest it was commonplace. It was about one specific dean at one specific school according to my experiences. You are making an assumption about the rest....and being quite defensive about it I might add which is usually a sign of something. Furthermore, if you think that professors are free to teach whatever they want you are sadly mistaken. After receiving tenure, sure. But before that, boy you had better pound the line that the dean and the department endorses or you can kiss your tenure goodbye.

What political point was I making? I don't seem to recall identifying the dean's political leanings nor did I suggest.....

You're trying to be clever, but you're not smart enough for that. You've been exposed. Just cut the shit and move on.

What political point was I making? I don't seem to recall identifying the dean's political leanings nor did I suggest.....

You're trying to be clever, but you're not smart enough for that. You've been exposed. Just cut the shit and move on.

If your definition of "exposed" is your personal insistence about what the truth is, then yeah I suppose I have been...for whatever that is worth. Nor am I trying to be clever. I simply responded to a post and told about a situation that I encountered. You are the one who assumed there was a devious political message behind it, assumed what that message was, and then freaked out about the conclusions you jumped to. Jeez....have you had a few tonight or something?

If your definition of "exposed" is your personal insistence about what the truth is, then yeah I suppose I have been...for whatever that is worth. Nor am I trying to be clever. I simply responded to a post and told about a situation that I encountered. You are the one who assumed there was a devious political message behind it, assumed what that message was, and then freaked out about the conclusions you jumped to. Jeez....have you had a few tonight or something?

Don't lie next time and you won't have to go to all this trouble.

ROFL

You demonstrate such brilliance there. Even if he is lying, how could you possibly know?

Most teachers are just dummies that could be replaced by excellent books. The trouble is most books are mediocre to crap. So it is so telling that we do not have a National Recommended Reading List or teachers advocating one.

psik

Most teachers are just dummies that could be replaced by excellent books.

Like the exact ones you read as a lazy little shit? Wow, how about that?

I sense a great deal of anger and defensiveness within you. Perhaps you would benefit from a little meditation. I recommend Tai-Chi. That can really help you deal with stress and control.

I remember when I was 12 or so. A friend was selling a minibike he claimed was "worth" $300.00. I remember my dad laughed and said - "No, son. It's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it."

Most teachers are just dummies that could be replaced by excellent books.

Like the exact ones you read as a lazy little shit? Wow, how about that?

I sense a great deal of anger and defensiveness within you. ...

That's just feedback from your own humiliation.

Oh yes...the humiliation I am currently experiencing is beyond unbearable. Howsoever shall I look myself in the mirror? I am serious dude. I get this mental image of you typing away grinding your teeth with a vein pulsating in your forehead as you wail "LIES! LIES! AUUUUGGGGHHHHH!!!!" I mean you even screeched when I suggested relaxation methods. Seriously, dude...you need to put down the whiskey bottle, call a close friend (or your psychotherapist or your sponsor perhaps), take some deep breaths, and calm down. Here this will help.

Forum List

Back