Role Models

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
A question came up on a talk show yesterday, a question that has me puzzled.

When speaking to a High School student, name a public figure in any arena who who could be cited as a "role model."

I'm coming up empty.

I would exclude sports and entertainment figures because sports stars haven't lived long enough to have a significant track record, and entertainment figures generally do not live in the real world. I would also be reluctant to mention politicians, since their path to success is often one of mere glad-handing and ass-kissing. (Although there are some Republicans with brief military backgrounds who might qualify).

You can't use fictional characters because, obviously, they didn't live in the real world either.

I know lots of ordinary people who have working-class backgrounds and have had successful careers and exemplary family lives, but they are not well known. That's probably who I would cite, if the HS kid knew them well.

But for public figures, I'm still scratching my head.

Any nominees?

charles-barkley-22747.jpg

When speaking to a High School student, name a public figure in any arena who who could be cited as a "role model."

I'm coming up empty.

I would exclude sports and entertainment figures because sports stars haven't lived long enough to have a significant track record, and entertainment figures generally do not live in the real world. I would also be reluctant to mention politicians, since their path to success is often one of mere glad-handing and ass-kissing. (Although there are some Republicans with brief military backgrounds who might qualify).

You can't use fictional characters because, obviously, they didn't live in the real world either.

I know lots of ordinary people who have working-class backgrounds and have had successful careers and exemplary family lives, but they are not well known. That's probably who I would cite, if the HS kid knew them well.

Any nominees?
I worked hard and raised four kids a role model doesn't have to be popular.

I'm coming up empty.

Any nominees?
Colin Powell.

I've known people that I've looked up to. 'Known' is the key word here.
I've never even met Taylor Swift.

Forum List

Back