"Teacher Shortage" is a misnomer. The shortage is in the pay and benefits that districts offer to teachers

Did you mean to make a point with that Blues Man

Because I said exactly what I told you I did. I told that particular poster he could not do my job five days running, not that no one else could do my job. Did you realize you quoted me saying exactly what I told you I said?

Wow
And how many other particular posters have you said that to? I'm pretty sure you've said that to me a couple times too

It's a common retort from the teachers on this board that others cannot do their job.

Hell there is one particular person here who claims to be a teacher yet he seems to post quite prolifically during school hours. How tough can the job be?

And how many other particular posters have you said that to? I'm pretty sure you've said that to me a couple times too

It's a common retort from the teachers on this board that others cannot do their job.

Hell there is one particular person here who claims to be a teacher yet he seems to post quite prolifically during school hours. How tough can the job be?

That teacher tells me to shut up about the rigors of teaching and to stop complaining about it (in his estimation) while yes, you are right, he posts multiple times an HOUR at times. I don't know what his teaching assignment is, but it's easy enough it allows him to post on a board like this multiple times a day. So not like mine. And I have said this to him before.

As the final statement on the former, it would be ridiculous for me to state "no one else" can do my job. Several other people do my job just in my district. A lot of people who bitch about my job, however, could not do it. That is why I rarely bitch about how easy other people's jobs are, see. Because I don't really know, for one thing.

That teacher tells me to shut up about the rigors of teaching and to stop complaining about it (in his estimation) while yes, you are right, he posts multiple times an HOUR at times. I don't know what his teaching assignment is, but it's easy enough it allows him to post on a board like this multiple times a day. So not like mine. And I have said this to him before.

As the final statement on the former, it would be ridiculous for me to state "no one else" can do my job. Several other people do my job just in my district. A lot of people who bitch about my job, however, could not do it. That is why I rarely bitch about how easy other people's jobs are, see. Because I don't really know, for one thing.
You ASSUME they could not do it.

Private schools actually do a lot better than public schools- that's why President Trump sends his boy to private school, and President Obama sent his children as well, even though he is a big supporter of teachers unions.

In my hometown, the private schools also excelled at academics compared to the government school system. Though arguably, the public schools provided better training in hand to hand combat and small arms as the students had to be prepared for their classmates to try and use a shiv to take their lunch money in the public institutions.

Security. Stop talking out of your ass.

I had hoped that parents being forced to teach their kids at home during covid, would get an inkling of what it takes.

It's simple economics. I almost posted this in that section.

If workers are NOT willing to work for you, it's because you don't offer enough compensation.

In the last two school years, the demands of teaching have gone through the roof, starting with the Fall of 2020, during which teachers were typically required to teach virtually with zero lowering of expectations for the quality of their teaching. Then we had a combination of live and virtual teaching, with the same teachers doing both simultaneously and families given the choice of sending their kids in or having them "learn online."

Teachers were not given the work-from-home option, and we were required to wear masks at all times, and enforce mask wear for students. District set policy and we followed it or we quit. It didn't matter if we thought that COVID precautions were being over-done, or not done enough. One of the teachers at my school, in her late thirties, with a pre-existing condition, died of COVID after weeks of being face down on a respirator. She literally died to teach the kids.

Now the state has changed its standardized test in ways that will be even more stressful for teachers. More about that on another thread.

All this was part of the job. I'm not complaining, I'm just saying how it was and continues to be. I'm saying that if you hire a guy to build a pool for you, and then decide that you absolutely need a high dive and a hot tub also, you don't get to pay the same and say "don't complain, that's part of your job." You want more, you pay more.

If not, don't be surprised if fewer people want to work for you.

Yeah ... I kind of get that and pay certainly plays a role.

I don't think it is just pay though, and where you addressed increasing demands and structure complications ...
They may amount to something pay cannot cover in desirability and career longevity.

I have always thought that a portion of teachers do it for children or the benefit of the community as well as pay ...
But there are easier, less stressful and far more lucrative ways to earn a living than as a teacher in a government run facility.

I mean, bless them ... But job security is a benefit as well.
It doesn't matter what happens in any town ... They are still going to need teachers.
They have Union Representatives ... And if they have a problem with pay, it isn't because the Union Reps aren't getting paid.

I’m going to quote my parents (both teachers): “You don’t get into teaching to make lots of money. It’s a calling, not a profession. If you’re getting into teaching for the money, you’re in the wrong field.”
"For the Love of ___" Is Sucker-Bait

They never taught you logic. "Lots of money" is a strawman exaggerating the OP's position. He's only asking for better pay.

Typical attitude in america....you go and work hard and and for the lowest wage we can pay you. Backwards and regressive.
Sheepskins Are for Sheep; College Is for Coolies

The worst of that is college students not getting paid at all, when a forward society would treat college education just like any other occupation, students being paid more than they can expect at any other job at that age. But every free-market principle goes out the window with this issue.

This class-biased indentured servitude puts inferior minds in superior positions. It rewards brown-nosing, not brains. Americans look at the dregs this unnatural system produces and are outraged at the suggestion that such people should be paid.

This is faulty logic; it doesn't change both sides of the equation. Highly paid professional training will attract the best minds and get them motivated to study. They will be entirely unlike the Diploma Dumbos the present absurd but protected system produces. Graduates of this intelligence-insulting system are never blamed for the decline in our economy, culture, and public service.

People understand this subconsciously, or else they wouldn't believe that if such graduates get rewarded, they deserve to be punished first. Today's collegians don't care about doing a good job; their dreary sacrifice is only for getting a good job.

Last edited:
As far as teachers go, I don’t think most of them work now, and if they do, their results don’t meet my expectations, so I’d say they’re already pretending to work.,
Snob Rule Invented the Lie of "Mob Rule"

Never blame those who have absolute power over them. Just like anti-democratic sociopaths blame the American people for what is the fault of their self-appointed ruling class and its elitist Constitution.

Forum List

Back