"Teacher Shortage" is a misnomer. The shortage is in the pay and benefits that districts offer to teachers

Yeah ... I kind of get that and pay certainly plays a role.

I don't think it is just pay though, and where you addressed increasing demands and structure complications ...
They may amount to something pay cannot cover in desirability and career longevity.

I have always thought that a portion of teachers do it for children or the benefit of the community as well as pay ...
But there are easier, less stressful and far more lucrative ways to earn a living than as a teacher in a government run facility.

I mean, bless them ... But job security is a benefit as well.
It doesn't matter what happens in any town ... They are still going to need teachers.
They have Union Representatives ... And if they have a problem with pay, it isn't because the Union Reps aren't getting paid.

I don't want to reveal too much that's personal especially about people who are not me. But I could tell you stories of my coworkers--how they took children under their wing and were real heroes to them (I do not use that term lightly)--that still make me tear up years later. There are really rotten teachers out there who don't like kids and have no business in the profession. But most of us did it because we love learning, we love kids, and we wanted to do something valuable.

ETA: for the naysayers--this is not unique to teaching, of course. You will find this in many caretaking professions.

Never blame those who have absolute power over them
Nobody has absolute power over them because the only Absolute source of power is God, and that entity doesn’t give a fuck about you, me or anyone else.

If you don’t like your situation you have two choices: accept it or change it. Changing it may mean leaving it, but that is a change.

Life sucks then you die. Pure and simple.

I don't want to reveal too much that's personal especially about people who are not me. But I could tell you stories of my coworkers--how they took children under their wing and were real heroes to them (I do not use that term lightly)--that still make me tear up years later. There are really rotten teachers out there who don't like kids and have no business in the profession. But most of us did it because we love learning, we love kids, and we wanted to do something valuable.

ETA: for the naysayers--this is not unique to teaching, of course. You will find this in many caretaking professions.

Upwards of 60% of my friends are all teachers ... :auiqs.jpg:

It's not necessarily something I pick in friends, as much as it is something they can have a career in here.
Unless you specialize in a profession, or work in the oilfield or paper mill ... You aren't going to make a worthwhile living around here,

Forum List

Back