Sunni thinks his wife is property

I believe Sunni is entitled to his opinion.

A lot of his opinions are wrong as hell, but he is also a U.S. Army veteran who fought for this country in the Vietnam war. He has a lovely family (I've seen pics), and I know he adores them. I frequently disagree with him, but this thread by Si Modo, which was designed to do nothing more than gangpile him, is pretty lame.

And your ASSumptions about those who chose to give their input is pretty lame as well.

A lot of his opinions are wrong as hell, but he is also a U.S. Army veteran who fought for this country in the Vietnam war. He has a lovely family (I've seen pics), and I know he adores them. I frequently disagree with him, but this thread by Si Modo, which was designed to do nothing more than gangpile him, is pretty lame.

I don't think Si Modo intended the thread as a 'gang bang'. I would have preferred to discuss the actual issue--women as 'property'--rather than frame it into a comment Sunni made about it--but it was perhaps more honest to do it the way she did. In the past I have attempted to separate and debate a concept within a separate discussion and it wound up being a flame thread anyway--with ME as the target--and I was accused of all sorts of dishonesty. :) Sometimes you can't win either way.

Anyhow I judge the topic to be interesting, but wish the focus was on the concept of voluntary relationships, including traditional Muslim ones, rather than a flame thread bashing Sunni.

I don't think Si Modo intended the thread as a 'gang bang'. I would have preferred to discuss the actual issue--women as 'property'--rather than frame it into a comment Sunni made about it--but it was perhaps more honest to do it the way she did. In the past I have attempted to separate and debate a concept within a separate discussion and it wound up being a flame thread anyway--with ME as the target--and I was accused of all sorts of dishonesty. :) Sometimes you can't win either way.

Anyhow I judge the topic to be interesting, but wish the focus was on the concept of voluntary relationships, including traditional Muslim ones, rather than a flame thread bashing Sunni.

You're honest desire to discuss an actual issue aside ... :lol:

So, in another thread, Sunni calls his wife a possession and his property.

Anyone else think this way?

Any Muslims want to confirm or deny this sentiment?

Why? What's the reasoning Sunni?

As with all things in Islam. There is a separation of the genders. Gold is the most expensive and prices of all metals. Thus it is reserved for our most precious property; our wives. Underneath those abayas and burqas that the Muslim women wear. Are long strands of gold chains and gold coins. They are presents given to the Muslim woman by her husband as a sign of respect and love. Many times weighing several pounds.

Another prohibition is silk. Only Muslim women wear articles made of silk cloth. It is forbidden for a Muslim man to wear any form of silk apparel. I wear suits sometimes and it is difficult to find men's neck ties not made out of silk. They are available made out of other materials but the selection is very limited.

This thread is about wristwatches .

If you wish to discuss how your wife has made you PW

Then start a thread and I will post on it. :cool:
I'm not a dyke, so I don't have a wife.

And PW, as far as I know, is an abbreviation for 'password'. I have no idea what you are abbreviating with PW.

And, I will take you up on that.

Gee Si, am I ever surprised to see one of your threads in the Romper Room. I believe when we, here in the US, talk of 'possessing' another it is the kind or 'possession' written about by A S Byatt: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Possession_(novel)

I think this would be a worthy discussion to compare and contrast the many different meanings of the word as they are construed culturally.

pos·ses·sionnoun /pəˈzeSHən/ 
possessions, plural

1.The state of having, owning, or controlling something
- are you in possession of any items over $500 in value?
- he had taken possession of one of the sofas
- the book came into my possession

2.Visible power or control over something, as distinct from lawful ownership; holding or occupancy
- both teams attempting to gain possession of the ball
- they were imprisoned for possession of explosives

3.The state of possessing an illegal drug
- they're charged with possession

4.(in football, basketball, and other ball games) Temporary control of the ball by a particular player or team
- the ball hit a defender and Brown's quick reaction put him in possession

5.An item of property; something belonging to one
- I was alone with no money or possessions
- that photograph was Bert's most precious possession

6.A territory or country controlled or governed by another
- France's former colonial possessions

7.The state of being controlled by a demon or spirit
- they prayed for protection against demonic possession

8.The state of being completely under the influence of an idea or emotion
- fear took possession of my soul

Google

Too bad it had to end up here. Si, I believe is one of the true intellectuals on the forum.

It's not nonsense. Islam is misogynistic.

Some muslims are misogynistic. So are some Christians, buddhists, and Jews. Most Mormons are, and almost all fundamentalist polygamist mormons are, but I don't see you being all up in their business, in spite of the fact that they marry their daughters off at 16 to 40+ year old men.
Pssst! This thread is about Sunni and his misogyny. If you want to talk about other faiths, start other threads. Quit trying to deflect in this one.

Pssst! This thread is about Sunni and his misogyny. If you want to talk about other faiths, start other threads. Quit trying to deflect in this one.

IF this thread was intended to flame Sunni for his misogyny, wouldn't it have been posted in the Flame forum? Instead, it was posted in the religion and ethics forum. Does that make it an attempt to brush all muslims with the Sunni brush, or just a bad flame job on Sunni?

I wish it could have stayed in the religion and ethics forum because it is an interesting topic that could generate some interesting discussion if we had focused on that. I am sure that it was the food fight that ensued that got it bounced into the Romper Room.

IF this thread was intended to flame Sunni for his misogyny, wouldn't it have been posted in the Flame forum? Instead, it was posted in the religion and ethics forum. Does that make it an attempt to brush all muslims with the Sunni brush, or just a bad flame job on Sunni?

I haven't been on here to really know how the forum handles topics in religion. However, my general experience is that you can bash Christians and Jews all you want, but if you make one negative comment about islam ever how true it may be, you have cursed the only true god and will soon die. The PC ground is not level for the big three.

I wish it could have stayed in the religion and ethics forum because it is an interesting topic that could generate some interesting discussion if we had focused on that. I am sure that it was the food fight that ensued that got it bounced into the Romper Room.

We could probably post a worthwhile thread about the topic in the REligion and Ethics forum, without singling out a specific poster for aspersions about his character. Would you like me to post something on the topic?

I haven't been on here to really know how the forum handles topics in religion. However, my general experience is that you can bash Christians and Jews all you want, but if you make one negative comment about islam ever how true it may be, you have cursed the only true god and will soon die. The PC ground is not level for the big three.

Definitely true. I've been labeled anti-muslim more than once for leveling criticisms at their treatment of women, and in my opinion, their prophet was a pedophile (Sunni knows I believe this). Interestingly enough, though, hardly anyone pays much attention to our own polygamists in the U.S., i.e., the fundamentalists in S. Utah and N. Arizona. I lived in Utah for a decade, so I'm fairly familiar with them. Their treatment of women is every bit as bad as the treatment of women in Islam, if not worse, to be honest.

We could probably post a worthwhile thread about the topic in the REligion and Ethics forum, without singling out a specific poster for aspersions about his character. Would you like me to post something on the topic?

Sure, go ahead.

Then you aren't seeing things clearly because there are plenty of posters ready to pounce whenever Christians and Jews are bashed here.

Then you aren't seeing things clearly because there are plenty of posters ready to pounce whenever Christians and Jews are bashed here.

I just said I hadn't been on here long enough to know how THIS forum handles topics in religion. DUH!

I just said I hadn't been on here long enough to know how THIS forum handles topics in religion. DUH!

18 months isn't long enough?

Now you know. You're welcome.

Why ask questions you already know the answer to? Bear in mind those answers don't necessarily have anything to do with reality.

I didn't intend it to gang bang anyone. In fact, Sunni brought this up in another thread and HE specifically asked that I start THIS thread.

Then that idiot Catshit, came in here and shit all over the thread.

Forum List

Back