Suing the federal government

Discussion in 'Politics' started by PixieStix, Nov 10, 2009.

1. PixieStix

PixieStix Coal Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,259
    We have recourse.

Our 5th amendement rights will be violated, under the healthscare scam of a so called bill. When in reality it is a unadulterated take over of our rights as private citizens

Suing Federal Government

We cannot allow this unconstitutional behavior to go on any longer

[SIZE=+1]No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation. [/SIZE]
    I am sure someone will point out that I am wrong.

A constitutional discussion would be good

2. Luissa

Luissa Annoying Customer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    I want to know what in the 5th amendment makes national health care unconstitutional?

3. PixieStix

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,259

Forcing me to take my money and buy something I may not want. Or forcing me to take my money AKA my private property to pay a fine or face jail time?

4. nodoginnafight

nodoginnafight No Party Affiliation

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,497
    Oh but the uninsured have every right to force ME to pay for their healthcare expenses?????

Sorry - you make a very poor argument

5. Navy1960

Navy1960 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    Interesting question, when applied to the mandate portion of healthcare. One could argue that mandating someone purchase healthcare or pay a penalty for not doing so is depriving them of "liberty" in that they are no longer affored the ability to make that choise for themselves. I've said this many times, and will say it here, the healthcare reformers no matter how well meaning lost me long ago when this mandate came about and with the creation of a "public option" when we already have one that is almost bankrupt. It really makes no sense at all to create a whole new program to offer healthcare insurance when you have one in place that if fixed and made available to those that need it and want it would easily provide the available healthcare insurance for those that want it. This current healthcare bill faces many hurdles to become a reality when the proper application of real solutions could have made life much better for everyone.

6. Mr. Capitalism

Mr. Capitalism Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +57
    From the indisputable Wiki...

7. PixieStix

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,259
    Uh no, they do not have that right

sorry, but you misread and took my thread out of context

8. Luissa

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    I think passing a law in congress is due procress of law. And by your point not paying your taxes and then being fined for that would be unconstitutional also plus they never said you would get jail time but hey if it makes your case more dramatic.
    So I guess my state has been breaking the constitution for years because you can be fined if you don't have car insurance. Your strawman arguement doesn't really work, sorry.

9. Luissa

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    why hasn't anyone sued over having to have car insurance and being fined if they don't?

10. ihopehefails

ihopehefails BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +228
    I agree with your intent but I think the 5th amendment applies to being criminally prosecuted for a crime and that you can't have things taken from you without due process that may occur because of your prosecution such as the police ceazing your car because they charged you with drug possession before they find you guilty.

I think a much simpler argument would be just to say that the constitution grants the congress no authority to create a national health care bill.