Question:What is the political outlook for Dems in 2010 if....

amrchaos

Pentheus torn apart
Nov 1, 2008
Miami
If the Dems fail to pass Healthcare? Would not their leftist base go nuts and vote for a Republican, or would they become more fanatical for Dems to pass it and try their damndest to keep that "Yellow bellied Blue Dog" in office?

Also, if you are a blue dog Democrat/moderate Republican in Congress...How should you go about Health care reform? I saw the anti-abortion string as a fine way to keep some "conservative credentials" but once the house dropped that amendment, what now.?

This is really tricky for a centrists/moderate right now. Should you swing left or right since the two extremes are cutting your legs out from under you?

Last edited:
I don't see why healthcare failing would make the Democratic base vote Republican, since the Democratic Party will likely blame Republicans for it not passing.

I don't see why healthcare failing would make the Democratic base vote Republican, since the Democratic Party will likely blame Republicans for it not passing.

No way can they blame Republicans, the Democrats have a super majority and anything that passes has their name on it. Just as any failures have their name on it.

They asked for it, they got it. Until January 2011 that is.

No way can they blame Republicans, the Democrats have a super majority and anything that passes has their name on it. Just as any failures have their name on it.

I didn't say it would make sense, but if healthcare fails it's going to be blamed on Republicans. Of course, the Republicans should be happy about that.

I didn't say it would make sense, but if healthcare fails it's going to be blamed on Republicans. Of course, the Republicans should be happy about that.

:eusa_dance::eusa_dance::eusa_dance:

If the Dems fail to pass Healthcare? Would not their leftist base go nuts and vote for a Republican, or would they become more fanatical for Dems to pass it and try their damndest to keep that "Yellow bellied Blue Dog" in office?

Also, if you are a blue dog Democrat/moderate Republican in Congress...How should you go about Health care reform? I saw the anti-abortion string as a fine way to keep some "conservative credentials" but once the house dropped that amendment, what now.?

This is really tricky for a centrists/moderate right now. Should you swing left or right since the two extremes are cutting your legs out from under you?

Leftists Dems would never go Rep. They might go green or Communist.

A failure to pass it will just deenergize their base and make them look weak. no doubt it would hurt dem turnout and weaken fundraising in 2010. that in and of itself is almost a bigger gift to the GOP than them passing an unpopular bill and ticking off indies and righties.

If the Democrats can't pass a helathcare plan it is their fault.

Let them pay the price in 2010

If the Democrats can not pass healthcare, then yes, their base will make them pay in 2010. Chances are good they'd keep enough seats that 2010 won't be the complete sweep the Conservatives are looking for, but they'll lose some of the really vital seats when the base stays home.

I really dont think they have the senate votes to pass it.

It looks like all the republicans and the independant are voting against it, as it currently stands. Thats 41 against 59 for, no pass.

Things can and will change, lets see what happens. I DOUBT it will pass before the 2010 congressional election cycle begins in earnest.

I can't imagine the voters forgetting eight years of Bush so quickly.

Not getting Health Care reform passed this year or early next year wont affect the 2010 election all that much in my humble opinion as Dems will still be working on the issue. However, if this drags out too long and as more and more people begin to hear what the liberals Democrats are actually attempting to do, I think this could adversely affect them in 2012.

Too bad voters can't clobber both parties for their complete and utter lack of leadership and the corruption running rampant in Washington.

Immie

I really dont think they have the senate votes to pass it.

It looks like all the republicans and the independant are voting against it, as it currently stands. Thats 41 against 59 for, no pass.

Things can and will change, lets see what happens. I DOUBT it will pass before the 2010 congressional election cycle begins in earnest.

Well I think a procedural defeat like a fillibuster that the Dems can't break makes it appear as if the Republicans are standing in the way of what the majority wants.

But I really don't think healthcare will be a major factor in 2010.

It's pretty much always about the economy.

And I don't see anything really shaking things up enough to change what traditionally happens in off-year elections. The majority party will lose seats. Sometimes if POTUS has long enough coattails, that can be averted, but I don't see that this time.

Without something dramatic, I think Dems will lose some seats in the House and in the Senate put not enough to claim a majority in either.

Forum List

Back