Zone1 Suicide leaves me with no words of comfort to say

Blackrook

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2014
A friend, who might have been more, killed herself a few months ago.

Recently, my daughter's friend killed himself.

In both situations, I had no words of comfort for those grieving the loss.

To the sister of the woman, I said, "I don't even know what to say."

To my daughter, I said, "I'm sorry."

I'm Catholic. My Church teaches that suicide is a mortal sin. Since a suicide does not have the opportunity to repent, a suicide goes to hell.

Some have told me that this could not possibly be true, God is merciful.

My mother killed herself when I was eighteen. I am plagued with visions of her in hell.

What do you think?

I'm not looking for answers from people who don't believe in God and think the notion of hell is silly.

I'm looking for answers from Christians.

I'm Catholic. My Church teaches that suicide is a mortal sin. Since a suicide does not have the opportunity to repent, a suicide goes to hell.

My mother killed herself when I was eighteen. I am plagued with visions of her in hell.

What do you think?

I'm not looking for answers from people who don't believe in God and think the notion of hell is silly.

when death is involved words are almost useless,, suicide is an even tougher one,,,

the best you can do is be there and give comfort and guidance,,

What do you think?
Catholics are also taught only God knows who, if anyone, is in hell. It is God who judges the human heart. Also, isn't the exact wording, Those who commit suicide are in danger of hell? I don't think the Catholic faith teaches that any one thing puts one in hell, just that it puts them in danger of hell.

What do you think?

When people lose hope and are in pain, they just want the pain to go away. There.was a time when I considered such people cowards. I no longer view them this way as long as they don't take someone else with them or go "suicide by cop" and haunt some other person who didn't need that when they went to work that day. I understand pain and wanting it gone. Even a strong constitution reaches its cliff. We can only pray that they found peace, hope that yes, God was merciful. For someone to be driven to that point, we need to understand that they were in a great deal of pain and life wasn't appealing anymore. I've read the suicide notes left by famous people. It's a morbid subject but we can never possibly understand their particular psychologixal issue or how they feel, nor interpret their emotions. I'm sure they were overwhelmed. They will be judged but not by me. You are right there aren't ay words to say. For me I repeat the same "I hope they found peace", that is we can hope.

Last edited:
A dear friend of mine committed suicide in 1995. His widow was, and is, a good friend of mine too. I talked to her about needing answers for why he did it.
She sent me a card that said:

I don't have any answers.
There won't be any answers.
That is the only answer.

I am sorry you are experiencing this. Suicides hurt the ones who love them more than they know.

What do you think?

You're going to get some words from an atheist and so you can decide if they're helpful.

You can say that she escaped pain that was unbearable. And then you can talk about what it was that caused such unbearable pain.

A dear friend of mine committed suicide in 1995. His widow was, and is, a good friend of mine too. I talked to her about needing answers for why he did it.
She sent me a card that said:

I don't have any answers.
There won't be any answers.
That is the only answer.

I am sorry you are experiencing this. Suicides hurt the ones who love them more than they know.
But there 'are' answers and it only needs somebody who really does care.

But this is a discussion on loved ones going to hell.

It is left to God to judge our souls. Some people are already suffering a hellish existence. Have faith that God will be merciful to those who couldn’t endure life.
The god can't be merciful if it's already decided that suicide victims go to hell.

There's no way out for Christians who are believers. Atheism offers the only way out.

What do you think?

I'm sooooo sorry for your loss!!! Big Hugs from Montana!!

What do you think?

Sometimes people's lives SUCK. They can't see the point of all this crap they have to deal with, they can't see good times coming, they've made bad choices, they don't have the brain to get comfortable, they have demons in their heads, so they end it.

They're going to die at some point anyway, why not sooner and avoid all the pain and bother than later?

My mother's suicide still hurts me even though it happened forty years ago.
I'm no Bible scholar but I'm pretty well read in that book and I don't ever recall seeing any sin that was "unforgiveable" except blaspheming the Holy Spirit. I've always thought this meant to be aware of His existence but to voluntarily choose to refuse and ignore Him.

I'm no Bible scholar but I'm pretty well read in that book and I don't ever recall seeing any sin that was "unforgiveable" except blaspheming the Holy Spirit. I've always thought this meant to be aware of His existence but to voluntarily choose to refuse and ignore Him.
I think blaspheming the Holy Spirit is unforgivable because it's the failure to ask for forgiveness.

That's what Judas did. He didn't go to Jesus to ask for forgiveness, he killed himself.

What do you think?

I am not a Christian per se, but I imagine God as wanting you to help make the lives better of those who are grieving rather than worrying about the sin of suicide.

Forum List

Back