Substitute teacher has sex with student on first day of school

This is a 'person bites dog' story.

Almost all cases of sex between teachers and students are male teachers and female students.

The "Teach women not to rape" archive.

The National Center for Education Statistics reports:

In 2007–08, some 76 percent of public school teachers were female, 44 percent were under age 40, and 52 percent had a master’s or higher degree. Compared with public school teachers, a lower percentage of private school teachers were female (74 percent), were under age 40 (39 percent), and had a master’s or higher degree (38 percent).
1.) No opportunity, no crime. Men are severely under-represented in the field, so even if they had the desire, they don't have the opportunity.
2.) Men are watched like hawks. Any display of physical intimacy is deemed sexual while a female teacher's display of physical intimacy is deemed innocent.
3.) Young girls see teachers as "creepers" but young boys want to nail the young female teacher, so the offer:acceptance ratio drastically favors female teachers.

This is a female-teacher centric issue.

Almost all cases of sex between teachers and students are male teachers and female students.

In 2007–08, some 76 percent of public school teachers were female, 44 percent were under age 40, and 52 percent had a master’s or higher degree. Compared with public school teachers, a lower percentage of private school teachers were female (74 percent), were under age 40 (39 percent), and had a master’s or higher degree (38 percent).
1.) No opportunity, no crime. Men are severely under-represented in the field, so even if they had the desire, they don't have the opportunity.
2.) Men are watched like hawks. Any display of physical intimacy is deemed sexual while a female teacher's display of physical intimacy is deemed innocent.
3.) Young girls see teachers as "creepers" but young boys want to nail the young female teacher, so the offer:acceptance ratio drastically favors female teachers.

I have seen no statistics to back up your claim.

Here are numbers from one state:

Between 2008 and 2013, there have been about 150 cases of inappropriate relationships reported to the Alabama Department of Education. These "relationships" include not only sexual intercourse between a teacher and a student, but also inappropriately romantic or sexual communications between the two, said Susan Tudor Crowther, an attorney in the Office of General Counsel for the Alabama Department of Education.

For 2013, 66 percent of those complaints involved male teachers, while 34 percent involved female teachers. Are the numbers on the rise? It appears so, said Crowther who recently wrote an article for a trade publication called "Hot For Teacher: When Good Teachers Go Bad."

Student-teacher sex Are more female teachers being charged AL.com

Three studies examined public records. Jennings and Tharp (2003) searched
educator sexual misconduct discipline proceedings of 606 teachers in Texas; 12.7
percent were females and 87.3 percent males. The Hendrie (1998) analysis of 244
cases in newspapers in a six month period reports a higher proportion of female
offenders than the later Jennings and Tharp analysis; 20 percent were female offenders
vs. 80 percent who were males. Gallagher (2000) reports 96 percent male and 4 percent
female offenders.

https://www2.ed.gov/rschstat/research/pubs/misconductreview/report.pdf

I appreciate your effort, but we're talking about today, not decades ago. As with the Priest Abuse phenomenon, reforms have taken place, so just like it would be misleading to point to past priest abuse to make a judgment of what is happening in Catholic Churches today, pointing to old per-hysteria patterns when men were more commonly employed as teachers doesn't tell us much about what is happening today.

Think about all of the changes in society regarding sexual harassment. Physicians used to examine female patients without having a nurse present, sexual harassment workshops were unheard of.

And on a methodological note - reported instances doesn't tell us anything about actual instances. I have absolutely no problem in believing that young girls will report male teachers vastly more often than young boys will report female teachers. Most of the female teachers being arrested today aren't due to reports, it's due to boys bragging and creating documentary evidence that gets stumbled on by parents or other adults. Texting and sexting provides evidence today that simply didn't exist decades ago.

Well then provide more recent data if you want to dispute mine.

I made the claim- I said that this issue is a 'person bites dog' story- because it is more compelling than cases about male teachers molesting students- and I claimed that most cases are men molesting students.

We know that men are much more likely to be sex offenders than women. I have provided some historical data showing that male teachers were the offenders by 6o-80% of the time. You provided data showing that women make up far more of the teacher workforce, which means that on a percentage level male teachers not only offend more, but that they offend at a higher rate than women teachers.

And I say this not to attack male teachers- or to defend female child molesters.

I just think that we are FAR more likely to hear about a case of a student molested by a teacher if newspaper has a photo of a sexy woman teacher attached.

The "teach women not to rape" archive is more recent data. Last year I looked for a recently published comprehensive study on the issue and couldn't find anything and you've probably seen the desert as well seeing how the best you could do was decades out of date studies which focused only on within-state instances.

You realize that this issue is not restricted to the OP story, the man bites dogs aspect, the phenomenon over the entire nation is now no longer a man bites dog, it's a pattern, too many stories, very frequent stories. Lordy, we just had a threesome story. Think about how that would have to develop. One teacher would have to confide in another teacher and get her to go along. That implies a culture where this is not seen as a serious crime - female teachers having sex with male students. Now imagine a male teacher getting another male teacher to have a threesome with a female student. Male teachers are policed more in their conduct than are female teachers.

Society has been very lax in handling coaches that bang students, compared to regular classroom teachers that get caught.

My most embarrassing moment in my entire career: I was called into a school to "mentor" a world class special ed basketball player.

He was a Jordan who could not write his name.

So, I am in the coach's office, having it explained that I had been transferred there to take care of this kid.

I had him three of the four periods a day, coach had him the other.

Anyway, I am in the coaches office, sitting on his couch, and the BB team comes in, laughing, and giggling.

Later my young BB player announced to the whole lunch shift in the cafeteria, that I had been sitting on coaches fucking coach.

The whole place erupted in laughter, and I was red as a beet.

Seems the whole town knew he was banging kids but me.

Between 2008 and 2013, there have been about 150 cases of inappropriate relationships reported to the Alabama Department of Education. These "relationships" include not only sexual intercourse between a teacher and a student, but also inappropriately romantic or sexual communications between the two, said Susan Tudor Crowther, an attorney in the Office of General Counsel for the Alabama Department of Education.

For 2013, 66 percent of those complaints involved male teachers, while 34 percent involved female teachers. Are the numbers on the rise? It appears so, said Crowther who recently wrote an article for a trade publication called "Hot For Teacher: When Good Teachers Go Bad."

educator sexual misconduct discipline proceedings of 606 teachers in Texas; 12.7
offenders than the later Jennings and Tharp analysis; 20 percent were female offenders
vs. 80 percent who were males. Gallagher (2000) reports 96 percent male and 4 percent
female offenders.

I appreciate your effort, but we're talking about today, not decades ago. As with the Priest Abuse phenomenon, reforms have taken place, so just like it would be misleading to point to past priest abuse to make a judgment of what is happening in Catholic Churches today, pointing to old per-hysteria patterns when men were more commonly employed as teachers doesn't tell us much about what is happening today.

Think about all of the changes in society regarding sexual harassment. Physicians used to examine female patients without having a nurse present, sexual harassment workshops were unheard of.

And on a methodological note - reported instances doesn't tell us anything about actual instances. I have absolutely no problem in believing that young girls will report male teachers vastly more often than young boys will report female teachers. Most of the female teachers being arrested today aren't due to reports, it's due to boys bragging and creating documentary evidence that gets stumbled on by parents or other adults. Texting and sexting provides evidence today that simply didn't exist decades ago.

I made the claim- I said that this issue is a 'person bites dog' story- because it is more compelling than cases about male teachers molesting students- and I claimed that most cases are men molesting students.

We know that men are much more likely to be sex offenders than women. I have provided some historical data showing that male teachers were the offenders by 6o-80% of the time. You provided data showing that women make up far more of the teacher workforce, which means that on a percentage level male teachers not only offend more, but that they offend at a higher rate than women teachers.

And I say this not to attack male teachers- or to defend female child molesters.

I just think that we are FAR more likely to hear about a case of a student molested by a teacher if newspaper has a photo of a sexy woman teacher attached.

I think we have a new kind of woman out there.

Way too much of it lately.

I beg to differ.

I started teaching at 30, was married with two kids, and still had damn near carry mace to keep the girls off of me.

Of course, that did change over time.

Damnit!

And Don Draper on Mad Men banged all his secretaries, had bottles of Scotch at his office, he and all his coworkers got sloshed during their work days, they had 3 martini lunches, etc.

What used to be is what used to be, what is today is something different. Remember, this is the world we live in today:

"It was interesting, really ashamed -- like I've done something wrong -- and embarrassed," says McGirr.

He was sitting next to two boys -- boys he didn't know -- who were flying by themselves. Because of that, crew members forced McGirr to switch seats with a female passenger.
And of course, fathers taking pictures of their daughters are questioned by Homeland Security:

I was looking for just the right pose — often waiting for that perfect smile or pausing as they fixed their hair after a strong ocean breeze. I was trying to get just the right exposure and flash combination to bring out their faces in the harsh midday sun.

Totally engaged with the scene in front of me, I jumped when a man came up beside me and said to my daughters: “I would be remiss if I didn’t ask if you were okay.” . . .

The man didn’t seem at all fazed. He replied: “I work for the Department of Homeland Security. And let me give you some advice: You were standing there taking photos of them hugging for 15 minutes.”​

female offenders.

The "teach women not to rape" archive is more recent data..

Data? I saw some individual stories.

The site clearly has an agenda- which is okay for a website- but not okay as a reference.

Again- I have provided data which shows that between 60-80% of teacher/student sexual misconduct is by men.

I still haven't seen anyone provide any data that contradicts those numbers.

Oddly enough we don't call the men 'sluts' we call them child molesters.

The stories where women are the adult abusers get hyped up more than men do because they are more unusual, and because lots of men don't quite think of it as being as bad as when men molest teen school girls.

Still dated, but refutes your assertion, Educator Sexual Misconduct: A Synthesis of Existing Literature

In studies that ask students about offenders, sex differences are less than in adult reports. The 2000 AAUW data indicate that 57.2 percent of all students report a male offender and 42.4 percent a female offender with the Cameron et al. study reporting nearly identical proportions as the 2000 AAUW data (57 percent male offenders vs. 43 percent female offenders)​

The stories where women are the adult abusers get hyped up more than men do because they are more unusual, and because lots of men don't quite think of it as being as bad as when men molest teen school girls.

Still dated, but refutes your assertion, Educator Sexual Misconduct: A Synthesis of Existing Literature

In studies that ask students about offenders, sex differences are less than in adult reports. The 2000 AAUW data indicate that 57.2 percent of all students report a male offender and 42.4 percent a female offender with the Cameron et al. study reporting nearly identical proportions as the 2000 AAUW data (57 percent male offenders vs. 43 percent female offenders)​

LOL....you do realize that I quoted that report too- and you called that report out of date when I quoted it?

Here is a more complete quote from the report- including your quote

4.2 Sex of offenders. Sex of offenders is documented in three types of
studies: analysis of newspaper reports or state education disciplinary records; surveys or
interviews of adults; and surveys of students.

percent were females and 87.3 percent males
. The Hendrie (1998) analysis of 244
vs. 80 percent who were males.
Gallagher (2000) reports 96 percent male and 4 percent
female offenders.

Freel (2003) and Shakeshaft and Cohan (1994) surveyed and interviewed adults
in schools. In telephone interviews of 225 superintendents, Shakeshaft and Cohan
documented that 4 percent of the educators investigated for educator sexual misconduct
were females and 96 percent males. Freel surveyed 183 child care workers in West
Yorkshire, England, and found that 15 percent of men and 4 percent of women
expressed sexual interest in children. When asked if they “would have sex with a child if
it was certain no one would find out and there would be no punishment” (p. 489), 4
percent of men and 2 percent of women indicated they would have sex with a child.

In studies that ask students about offenders, sex differences are less than in adult
reports. The 2000 AAUW data indicate that 57.2 percent of all students report a male
offender and 42.4 percent a female offender with the Cameron et al. study reporting
nearly identical proportions as the 2000 AAUW data (57 percent male offenders vs. 43
percent female offenders).

It doesn't 'refute' my assertion- the majority of offenders are still male- even in the most favorable to your position studies.

What the first paragraph shows is agreement with the numbers from the State of Alabama- that the number of reported offenders go 80-96% male.

It doesn't 'refute' my assertion- the majority of offenders are still male- even in the most favorable to your position studies.

What the first paragraph shows is agreement with the numbers from the State of Alabama- that the number of reported offenders go 80-96% male.

It most certainly refutes your assertion that "almost all case of sex." Don't be an ass and change your argument now that it's been refuted. You selectively quoted from the study.

As I pointed out earlier, counting arrests is different from counting the instances. There is a wild disparity between your assertion of "almost all cases" and your subsequent citation of 4%, 12% and 20% female perpetrator rates and the victimization rates of 43%.

I commented because of your claim that "almost all cases of sex . . " was so outlandish. Now you've fallen back to the position of "the majority" which I don't dispute. Your entire comment becomes incoherent if you actually meant majority, for then this OP is no longer a man bites dog story, so you clearly did mean what you wrote.

Clinging to "reported offenders" is meaningless - victims who don't report the offender are excluded from your statistic.

It most certainly refutes your assertion that "almost all case of sex." Don't be an ass and change your argument now that it's been refuted. You selectively quoted from the study.

As I pointed out earlier, counting arrests is different from counting the instances. There is a wild disparity between your assertion of "almost all cases" and your subsequent citation of 4%, 12% and 20% female perpetrator rates and the victimization rates of 43%.

I commented because of your claim that "almost all cases of sex . . " was so outlandish. Now you've fallen back to the position of "the majority" which I don't dispute. Your entire comment becomes incoherent if you actually meant majority, for then this OP is no longer a man bites dog story, so you clearly did mean what you wrote.

Clinging to "reported offenders" is meaningless - victims who don't report the offender are excluded from your statistic.

No- I will admit that there are studies that contradict my claim- and there are studies which support my claim.

My claim was not outlandish- I have shown studies that between 80-96% of all offenders are men. If you want to argue exactly what percentage has to be reached to be 'almost all cases of teacher/student sex abuse is by males- feel free to establish the percentage you feel a need to nitpick with.

If i want to nitpick- I can point out that your claim:

You have established that your claim was wrong.

No- I will admit that there are studies that contradict my claim- and there are studies which support my claim.

My claim was not outlandish- I have shown studies that between 80-96% of all offenders are men. If you want to argue exactly what percentage has to be reached to be 'almost all cases of teacher/student sex abuse is by males- feel free to establish the percentage you feel a need to nitpick with.

That "Teach women not to rape" archive lists events from Aug 17, 2014 to Oct. 23, 2014. If you believe that these news reports are part of a "man bites dog" phenomenon, then link up stories in the press where male teachers are having sex with female students during the same time period and let's compare numbers. That shouldn't be too daunting of a task for you, it's only two months of news stories which you can filter in your Google searches.

My claim was not outlandish- I have shown studies that between 80-96% of all offenders are men.

Your claim was outlandish. You purposely chose to characterize the OP as a man bites dog type of story. This is your framing. Not one of your subsequent references even begins to approach a man bites dog rarity. Even a 4% rate doesn't qualify as man bites dog. Do 4% of news stories about dogs and men involve men biting dogs?

That "Teach women not to rape" archive lists events from Aug 17, 2014 to Oct. 23, 2014. If you believe that these news reports are part of a "man bites dog" phenomenon, then link up stories in the press where male teachers are having sex with female students during the same time period and let's compare numbers. That shouldn't be too daunting of a task for you, it's only two months of news stories which you can filter in your Google searches.

Or I can just point out that your only source is a clearly biased website that only lists women teachers.......and ignore it as irrelevant.

Or I can just point out that your only source is a clearly biased website that only lists women teachers.......and ignore it as irrelevant.

You're a waste of time. Caught red handed and still you have no honor. Go back to you liberal bubble universe.

These so called "teachers" do it because they know that their union will protect them.

At 22 she is just out of college. This, on the first day of school, was obviously her first assignment. I doubt she is even a union member yet. Also I have a problem with the college she graduated from. It appears she didn't learn anything about what was appropriate behavior.
She must have been dreaming about all those boys she was gonna nail. Long career, one whole day.

For all the honor we heap on ancient Greece for democracy and philosophy and everything else, most don't realize teachers and students having romantic affairs was normal, not abnormal. Completely hypocritical to make this a thing, then say how thankful we are to a culture that did it as a matter of routine.

For all the honor we heap on ancient Greece for democracy and philosophy and everything else, most don't realize teachers and students having romantic affairs was normal, not abnormal. Completely hypocritical to make this a thing, then say how thankful we are to a culture that did it as a matter of routine.

Huh? We shouldn't recognize Greece as the beginning of democracy because teachers messed with their students which you call "affairs"? That word indicates equality in stature and power which can't exist between a teacher and student. These females never left high school in their minds...they long for the freedom and carelessness they had there, the girlfriends, the gossip, the Facebook messaging. What they never realize is teenage boys are braggarts so the word gets around and the female is considered a "slut".....oops not anymore....now she's a "rapist". Yet the liberal judges give them a lecture, a year of probation, and a restraining order while a male teacher convicted of the same thing goes to the Big House for 2-10. :rolleyes-41:

Huh? We shouldn't recognize Greece as the beginning of democracy because teachers messed with their students which you call "affairs"? That word indicates equality in stature and power which can't exist between a teacher and student. These females never left high school in their minds...they long for the freedom and carelessness they had there, the girlfriends, the gossip, the Facebook messaging. What they never realize is teenage boys are braggarts so the word gets around and the female is considered a "slut".....oops not anymore....now she's a "rapist". Yet the liberal judges give them a lecture, a year of probation, and a restraining order while a male teacher convicted of the same thing goes to the Big House for 2-10. :rolleyes-41:

My point was this particular incident shouldn't even have been a criminal charge so much as administrative issue. Fire the teacher for a breach of policy. But it shouldn't be a criminal thing when the actor's 17, and fully consensual. If he didn't claim to have been raped that should have been the end of it but for whatever the school wants to do about it.

We need to quit treating sex like the very worst thing anyone could ever do. We make these incidents into national stories yet how many people are being murdered every day we never hear about? How many not-blonde and white people get kidnapped we never hear about? How many truly horrible things go on every day the news never bothers to inform us about?

If someone was truly raped fine, but when no one's claiming a rape occured and it's all statutory and technicality, we need to quit giving coverage of it the dignity of our patronage and attention.

Forum List

Back