Street vendor shot in Little Village (Little Mexico) area of Chicago

LostAmerican

Rookie
Feb 20, 2011
Longtime corn seller not sure she'll return to corner

60262334.jpg
Alicia Alarcon, 56, recuperates at home in Little Village after she was shot in the back Friday night. (Abel Uribe / March 19, 2011)

Alicia Alarcon, who for years has sold sweet corn on the cob from a cart in Little Village, heard the gunshots and felt a sharp pain in her back.

The 56-year-old looked and saw she was bleeding, the victim of a Friday night shooting that police are still investigating. Alarcon was rushed to Mount Sinai Hospital in Chicago where doctors removed a bullet that was lodged near her liver.

Recovering at her home Saturday, Alarcon said doctors told her she was lucky.

"If the bullet had hit an organ, I would be really sick and would probably not be able to walk," she said.

For years, she has sold her elotes — corn smeared in mayonnaise, lemon juice or chili powder — near 26th Street and South Sawyer Avenue, the scene of the shooting. She started the business after losing her job at a factory shortly after she moved here from Veracruz, Mexico, in 1999.

"I have to do it to survive," Alarcon said. "I have bills, the rent, you know."

Alarcon also sends money to Mexico to help pay her husband's medical bills after a prostate operation.

Officer Robert Perez, a Chicago police spokesman, said that at 10:27 p.m. Friday, Alarcon was standing at her cart on the sidewalk at the corner of 26th and Sawyer. He said she had just sold something to a customer when she heard two gunshots.

Alarcon said she heard the gunfire coming from two directions.

Police had no one in custody Saturday.

Through the years, Alarcon said she has seen a fair share of problems in her neighborhood. She sees the drunks and teens in gangs nearby. Some even buy corn from her.

As she recuperates, Alarcon must now decide whether she'll return to her usual corner.

Family members, she said, "are very scared. Very scared."

But, she said, "I'm still thinking about it."

Little Village corn vendor shot in back in apparent shootout - chicagotribune.com

---------------------------------------------------------------

Do people really eat that crap?

First, is she a US citizen? BTW, Chicago police are forbidden to ask LA RAZAs that question.

Second, is she certified to be a person who handles food? In the Mexican areas of Chicago, those people can sell infected dog meat and get away with it.

But don't worry about her. Some LATINO politician will give her your tax dollars to set her up in her own restaurant. Soon she will be poisoning people in a new location.

It's the new LATINO America folks!

Its Chicago, so seriously.....

why is this news?

Please tell us about the Utopia that you decided to call home.

A woman got shot in Chicago.

Who'd da thunk it?

There were roughly 19,000 violent crimes in the entire State of Alabama in 2009.

In the same time frame in Chicago alone, there were over 36,000.

In light of that, pick a city, any city......does it really fucking matter where I live?

Last edited:

why is this news?

Who'd da thunk it?

There were roughly 19,000 violent crimes in the entire State of Alabama in 2009.

In light of that, pick a city, any city......does it really fucking matter where I live?

LOL, Alabama. That's heaven on earth right there. :lol:

Crime happens everywhere. No place is perfect. But some places offer much more than others in terms of entertainment, dining, culture, etc. I'd take Chicago any day over anywhere in Alabama. lol, as if this is even debatable.

Who'd da thunk it?

LOL, Alabama. That's heaven on earth right there. :lol:

Crime happens everywhere. No place is perfect. But some places offer much more than others in terms of entertainment, dining, culture, etc. I'd take Chicago any day over anywhere in Alabama. lol, as if this is even debatable.

We don't give a damn about another Chicagoon getting shot. It isn't news. You folks have crime down to a science. Post a story about someone who lives in Chicago who HASN'T been shot. That might get our attention.

But some fucking moron who chooses to live there, selling corn with mayonnaise on it to make money to send out of the country?

Honestly.....why is that news?

We have plenty of entertainment in Alabama.

It just doesn't involve shooting people who sell corn.

Crime happens everywhere. No place is perfect.

But some places are predominantly more prone to it than others. I have lived in my current neighborhood for three years and I'm not aware of a crime taking place here that entire time, at least nothing serious enough to be in the paper. Do you think I could say the same if I lived in Harlem?

I'd take Chicago any day

You couldn't pay me to live in that filthy corrupt shit hole.

why is this news?

I think the way the news portrays these "poor endangered creatures" who sneak into the US to steal a better life from poor Americans is disgusting.

Where does it say she is here illegally?

She started the business after losing her job at a factory shortly after she moved here from Veracruz, Mexico, in 1999.

Where does it say that she is an American citizen? You would have thought that they would have mentioned that important fact if she was an American citizen.

Last edited:
I think the way the news portrays these "poor endangered creatures" who sneak into the US to steal a better life from poor Americans is disgusting.

Where does it say she is here illegally?

She started the business after losing her job at a factory shortly after she moved here from Veracruz, Mexico, in 1999.

Where does it say that she is an American citizen? You would have thought that they would have mentioned that important fact if she was an American citizen.

If there is an article in the paper about me, does it have to state I'm an American citizen? Does your citizenship have to be stated if they write an article about you? Should they also have to state her hair color and bra size and shoe size? There are hundreds of random facts about her, I'm sure. Do they all have to be stated in the article?

This is the U.S., so why wouldn't I automatically assume she is a U.S. citizen when that would be the norm 98% of the time? Again, where does it say she is here illegally?

But some places are predominantly more prone to it than others. I have lived in my current neighborhood for three years and I'm not aware of a crime taking place here that entire time, at least nothing serious enough to be in the paper. Do you think I could say the same if I lived in Harlem?

So would you not live anywhere in NYC because Harlem is a bad neighborhood? I live in Chicago and my neighborhood is very safe, clean and a great place to live and in fact pretty much the entire North side is just like this. Does that mean I would want to live on the south side? Hell no, it's a fucking war zone. But that doesn't mean all of Chicago is like that. Thats my point.
I'd take Chicago any day

Shit hole? lol. Have you ever spent any time in Chicago? It's possibly the best city in the country. if you're not a city person that's one thing, but compared to other major cities, it's tough to beat. I've spent a good amount of time in almost every major American city, except for San Fransisco and I can easily say Chicago is definitely one of the best.

Last edited:
[If there is an article in the paper about me, does it have to state I'm an American citizen? Does your citizenship have to be stated if they write an article about you? Should they also have to state her hair color and bra size and shoe size? There are hundreds of random facts about her, I'm sure. Do they all have to be stated in the article?

This is the U.S., so why wouldn't I automatically assume she is a U.S. citizen when that would be the norm 98% of the time? Again, where does it say she is here illegally?

In an area where illegals are known to be, it would be normal to ask if she was illegal. She is selling a product that only Mexicans would buy and is using a food cart that doesn't require E-Verify to get.

So would you not live anywhere in NYC because Harlem is a bad neighborhood? I live in Chicago and my neighborhood is very safe, clean and a great place to live and in fact pretty much the entire North side is just like this. Does that mean I would want to live on the south side? Hell no, it's a fucking war zone. But that doesn't mean all of Chicago is like that. Thats my point.
I'd take Chicago any day

Shit hole? lol. Have you ever spent any time in Chicago? It's possibly the best city in the country. if you're not a city person that's one thing, but compared to other major cities, it's tough to beat. I've spent a good amount of time in almost every major American city, except for San Fransisco and I can easily say Chicago is definitely one of the best.

And if you could just get rid of the Mexicans, you could have a decent city.

Forum List

Back