Stopping Ebola

cultsmasher

VIP Member
Aug 9, 2014
Bay City, MI
The only way to stop ebola is with the old tried and true method. Quarantine! Let people fly into infected areas if they want. They just can't fly out. Instead, they will have to take a ship. After 21 days have passed, they can disembark. The same would be true for countries accepting flights from infected areas. If that isn't good enough, let them fly into some isolated area and let them hang out in whatever living quaters are provided for them. Preferably in a desert area where there are no mosquitos. After 21 days of isolation, they can leave.

It's simple as pie. But from the way things seem to work, if plague is weighed against money or convenience, money and convenience is likely to win out. The possibility of plague can't be left for people to guard against on their own. Because there are sure to be instances where they don't. As was the case with the second nurse who came down with ebola in the U.S.

Attachments

• Adolf.jpg
    Adolf.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 52
DR bacteria is a greater threat than ebola...
Beyond Ebola: Doctors Say Drug Resistant Bacteria Is the Real Fear
Oct 24, 2014 — American Ebola concerns ebb and flow with the proximity of potential or proven infection: Dallas, New York and air travel in general. But there is one growing medical emergency that has been lingering for years – and subject to warnings of “a tragic end” since 1945. The growing legion of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
The potential impact is difficult to overstate. High-risk groups include children, senior citizens and cancer patients receiving chemotherapy, as well as people undergoing complex surgeries, dialysis and certain transplants. The concern has become so acute that The American Academy of Pediatrics is now advising doctors to avoid prescribing antibiotics as a first-round treatment for infants and young children suffering from ear infections. The more frequently antibiotics are used, the more rapidly bacteria mutate to develop immunity. Virtually all – 97% of doctors -- expressed concern about these “superbugs,” according to a new Consumer Reports National Research Center survey of 500 family practice and internal medicine physicians in the U.S. who regularly prescribe antibiotics.

Most of the physicians surveyed (85%) reported that one or more of their patients had been diagnosed with a presumed or confirmed case of a multi-drug resistant bacterial infection in the past twelve months. More than one-third of those (35%) reported that a patient had suffered significant complications from the illness – or died. “Bacterial resistance to antibiotics is now cited by health experts in the U.S. and across the globe as the most serious health crisis of our time,” the report says. “In April 2014, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) recognized the urgency of the problem and reported that that at least two million Americans are sickened by drug-resistant bacteria each year, and 23,000 die.” The doctors surveyed also sounded another troubling alarm: antibiotic use in America’s food chain. More than nine out of ten doctors (93%) worried about the use of antibiotics in livestock production facilities – used on healthy animals in an effort to promote faster growth and to prevent disease. Up to 80% of all antibiotics sold each year are deployed in food animal production in the U.S.
Today, Whole Foods is the only national grocery chain that sells meat from animals raised without antibiotics. But there is a growing trend to reduce the use of antibiotics in the American food supply. Tyson and Perdue Farms, two of the largest poultry producers in the country have announced their intentions to reduce or eliminate non-therapeutic use of “medically important” antibiotics. Some popular restaurant chains, including Chipotle, Panera and Chick-fil-A, are also beginning to source suppliers who don’t routinely use antibiotics. It’s a movement a long time in coming. Alexander Fleming, who discovered the first antibiotic, penicillin, warned about the possibility of drug resistant bacteria in his Nobel lecture in 1945. “While antibiotics today seem a routine part of the lives of most Americans, even the earliest scientists responsible for their discovery warned that overusing these miracle drugs could prove a tragic end to their effectiveness,” the Consumers Union study concludes.
Beyond Ebola Doctors Say Drug Resistant Bacteria Is the Real Fear - MainStreet

• Banned
DR bacteria is a greater threat than ebola...
Beyond Ebola: Doctors Say Drug Resistant Bacteria Is the Real Fear
Oct 24, 2014 — American Ebola concerns ebb and flow with the proximity of potential or proven infection: Dallas, New York and air travel in general. But there is one growing medical emergency that has been lingering for years – and subject to warnings of “a tragic end” since 1945. The growing legion of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
The potential impact is difficult to overstate. High-risk groups include children, senior citizens and cancer patients receiving chemotherapy, as well as people undergoing complex surgeries, dialysis and certain transplants. The concern has become so acute that The American Academy of Pediatrics is now advising doctors to avoid prescribing antibiotics as a first-round treatment for infants and young children suffering from ear infections. The more frequently antibiotics are used, the more rapidly bacteria mutate to develop immunity. Virtually all – 97% of doctors -- expressed concern about these “superbugs,” according to a new Consumer Reports National Research Center survey of 500 family practice and internal medicine physicians in the U.S. who regularly prescribe antibiotics.

Most of the physicians surveyed (85%) reported that one or more of their patients had been diagnosed with a presumed or confirmed case of a multi-drug resistant bacterial infection in the past twelve months. More than one-third of those (35%) reported that a patient had suffered significant complications from the illness – or died. “Bacterial resistance to antibiotics is now cited by health experts in the U.S. and across the globe as the most serious health crisis of our time,” the report says. “In April 2014, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) recognized the urgency of the problem and reported that that at least two million Americans are sickened by drug-resistant bacteria each year, and 23,000 die.” The doctors surveyed also sounded another troubling alarm: antibiotic use in America’s food chain. More than nine out of ten doctors (93%) worried about the use of antibiotics in livestock production facilities – used on healthy animals in an effort to promote faster growth and to prevent disease. Up to 80% of all antibiotics sold each year are deployed in food animal production in the U.S.
Today, Whole Foods is the only national grocery chain that sells meat from animals raised without antibiotics. But there is a growing trend to reduce the use of antibiotics in the American food supply. Tyson and Perdue Farms, two of the largest poultry producers in the country have announced their intentions to reduce or eliminate non-therapeutic use of “medically important” antibiotics. Some popular restaurant chains, including Chipotle, Panera and Chick-fil-A, are also beginning to source suppliers who don’t routinely use antibiotics. It’s a movement a long time in coming. Alexander Fleming, who discovered the first antibiotic, penicillin, warned about the possibility of drug resistant bacteria in his Nobel lecture in 1945. “While antibiotics today seem a routine part of the lives of most Americans, even the earliest scientists responsible for their discovery warned that overusing these miracle drugs could prove a tragic end to their effectiveness,” the Consumers Union study concludes.
Beyond Ebola Doctors Say Drug Resistant Bacteria Is the Real Fear - MainStreet
Waltky,
Drug restistant bacteria is a real problem. But that doesn't mean that something shouldn't be done to stop ebola too. The one cameraman who recently caught it in Africa doesn't even know how he got it. At least with HIV, there is a way to keep from getting it. But ebola is much more ruthless.

Ebola cases top 10k...

WHO: Number of Ebola-linked cases passes 10,000
25 Oct.`14 The Ebola epidemic in West Africa is the largest ever outbreak of the disease with a rapidly rising death toll in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone. There have also been cases in three other West African countries, Spain and the United States.
The U.N. health agency said Saturday that the number of confirmed, probable and suspected cases has risen to 10,141. Of those cases, 4,922 people have died. Its figures show about 200 new cases since the last report, four days ago. Even those grisly tolls are likely an underestimate, WHO has warned, as many people in the hardest hit countries have been unable or too frightened to seek medical care. A shortage of labs capable of handling potentially infected blood samples has also made it difficult to track the outbreak. For example, the latest numbers show no change in Liberia's case toll, suggesting the numbers may be lagging behind reality.

On Thursday, authorities confirmed that the disease had spread to Mali, the sixth West African country affected, and on the same day a new case was confirmed in New York, in a doctor recently returned from Guinea. Mali had long been considered highly vulnerable to the disease, since it shares a border with Guinea. The disease arrived there in a 2-year-old, who traveled from Guinea with her grandmother by bus and died Friday. The toddler, who was bleeding from her nose during the journey, may have had high-risk contact with many people, the World Health Organization warned. So far, 43 people are being monitored in isolation for signs of the disease, and WHO said Saturday that authorities are continuing to look for more people at risk.

dd0ebb30-5c40-11e4-80ae-6192b5c2a0e7_map_ebola_spread_141026.png.cf.jpg

More than 10,000 people have been infected with Ebola, according to figures released Saturday by the World Health Organization, as the outbreak continues to spread

To help fight Ebola, the U.N. humanitarian flight service airlifted about 1 ton of medical supplies to Mali late Friday. The seats of the plane were removed to make room for the cargo, which included hazard suits for health workers, surgical gloves, face shields and buckets, according to the World Food Program, which runs the flights. The spread of Ebola to Mali has highlighted how easily the virus can jump borders, and Malian border police said that neighboring Mauritania closed its border with Mali. The health minister of Ivory Coast, which borders Guinea and Mali, said authorities there were looking for a nurse who may have Ebola and fled from Guinea, where he was being monitored by officials. But Raymonde Goudou stressed that it was still not clear whether the man had Ebola.

There was concern also in Ghana, where some worried a strike by health care workers could leave the country vulnerable to the disease. Ghana does not border any country with reported cases, but it is serving as the headquarters for the U.N. mission on Ebola. In Liberia, the country hardest hit by the epidemic, U.S. forces have been building desperately needed treatment centers and helping to bring in aid. On Saturday, Maj. Gen. Darryl Williams, who was in charge of the troops assigned to the Ebola response, handed power to Maj. Gen. Gary J. Volesky, the 101st Airborne commander. "I've been told that by a number of people that the task we face is extremely hard. Well, a fairly famous person once said hard is not impossible," Volesky said. "Together, we're going to beat it."

WHO Number of Ebola-linked cases passes 10 000 - Yahoo News

• Banned
Ebola cases top 10k...

WHO: Number of Ebola-linked cases passes 10,000
25 Oct.`14 The Ebola epidemic in West Africa is the largest ever outbreak of the disease with a rapidly rising death toll in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone. There have also been cases in three other West African countries, Spain and the United States.
The U.N. health agency said Saturday that the number of confirmed, probable and suspected cases has risen to 10,141. Of those cases, 4,922 people have died. Its figures show about 200 new cases since the last report, four days ago. Even those grisly tolls are likely an underestimate, WHO has warned, as many people in the hardest hit countries have been unable or too frightened to seek medical care. A shortage of labs capable of handling potentially infected blood samples has also made it difficult to track the outbreak. For example, the latest numbers show no change in Liberia's case toll, suggesting the numbers may be lagging behind reality.

On Thursday, authorities confirmed that the disease had spread to Mali, the sixth West African country affected, and on the same day a new case was confirmed in New York, in a doctor recently returned from Guinea. Mali had long been considered highly vulnerable to the disease, since it shares a border with Guinea. The disease arrived there in a 2-year-old, who traveled from Guinea with her grandmother by bus and died Friday. The toddler, who was bleeding from her nose during the journey, may have had high-risk contact with many people, the World Health Organization warned. So far, 43 people are being monitored in isolation for signs of the disease, and WHO said Saturday that authorities are continuing to look for more people at risk.

dd0ebb30-5c40-11e4-80ae-6192b5c2a0e7_map_ebola_spread_141026.png.cf.jpg

More than 10,000 people have been infected with Ebola, according to figures released Saturday by the World Health Organization, as the outbreak continues to spread

To help fight Ebola, the U.N. humanitarian flight service airlifted about 1 ton of medical supplies to Mali late Friday. The seats of the plane were removed to make room for the cargo, which included hazard suits for health workers, surgical gloves, face shields and buckets, according to the World Food Program, which runs the flights. The spread of Ebola to Mali has highlighted how easily the virus can jump borders, and Malian border police said that neighboring Mauritania closed its border with Mali. The health minister of Ivory Coast, which borders Guinea and Mali, said authorities there were looking for a nurse who may have Ebola and fled from Guinea, where he was being monitored by officials. But Raymonde Goudou stressed that it was still not clear whether the man had Ebola.

There was concern also in Ghana, where some worried a strike by health care workers could leave the country vulnerable to the disease. Ghana does not border any country with reported cases, but it is serving as the headquarters for the U.N. mission on Ebola. In Liberia, the country hardest hit by the epidemic, U.S. forces have been building desperately needed treatment centers and helping to bring in aid. On Saturday, Maj. Gen. Darryl Williams, who was in charge of the troops assigned to the Ebola response, handed power to Maj. Gen. Gary J. Volesky, the 101st Airborne commander. "I've been told that by a number of people that the task we face is extremely hard. Well, a fairly famous person once said hard is not impossible," Volesky said. "Together, we're going to beat it."

WHO Number of Ebola-linked cases passes 10 000 - Yahoo News
waltky,
Yes, ebola sucks. And as I said, the rest of the world isn't doing enough to stop it. And if you can wear protective gear and still get it, the government's attempts to placate fears isn't doing any good. They also say that it only spreads through contact with bodily fluids. But what about the doctor who recently came down with it. What if before he actually developed a fever, he sneezed somewhere. Isn't what comes out in a sneeze a bodily fluid? Or what he touched a door handle with a sweaty hand. Isn't sweat a bodily fluid?

Dat's why Granny makes possum wear a surgical mask...

... when he goes outside...

... so's he won't catch the ebola.

Ebola is a Jewish conspiracy. :cool-45:

MisterBeale,
I didn't watch your video. I could care less what obama had to say. Besides, don't you know how to tell when a politician is lying? It's when their lips move.

You should never judge a book by it's cover. Obama had very little to do with the video. I personally think you would find the video fascinating.

MisterBeale,
I didn't watch your video. I could care less what obama had to say. Besides, don't you know how to tell when a politician is lying? It's when their lips move.

You should never judge a book by it's cover. Obama had very little to do with the video. I personally think you would find the video fascinating.

MisterBeale,
I took a short look at your video. It looked like a bunch of conspiracy crap to me. Now if you want to see some real good documentaries, I have some suggerstion for you. The Corporation. Waste: A Nuclear Nightmare. Religious. Sicko. Capitalism: A Love Story. Fed Up. Who Killed the Electric Car. End of the Line. Islam: What the West Needs To Know. For the ones by Michael Moore, I don't agree with absolutely everything in them. But they're still pretty good. I don't know what you might have to pay for these documentaries. But whatever it is, it will be worth it.

MisterBeale,

MisterBeale,
I took a short look at your video. It looked like a bunch of conspiracy crap to me. Now if you want to see some real good documentaries, I have some suggerstion for you. The Corporation. Waste: A Nuclear Nightmare. Religious. Sicko. Capitalism: A Love Story. Fed Up. Who Killed the Electric Car. End of the Line. Islam: What the West Needs To Know. For the ones by Michael Moore, I don't agree with absolutely everything in them. But they're still pretty good. I don't know what you might have to pay for these documentaries. But whatever it is, it will be worth it.

I've seen Michael Moore speak in person at the Rose Center Basketball stadium at CMU. (Mt. Pleasant.) You would think being from Michigan, that you, yourself would take the initiative to go and talk to the guy.

Maybe Hell's Half-Mile will finally have gained some respectability when they have categories for documentaries and can draw him there, eh? Not many folks realize it, but Flint IS part of the Saginaw valley, and as such, Hell's Half-Mile will go no where until and unless it gains some recognition from THE local talent, namely, Moore.

For a queer, he is pretty intelligent, barring the fact that he can't help but be hyper-partisan. Go ask him some questions, get into a dialectic dialog with the fellow.

You will find that he is a left wing gate keeper for the dialog of the elites. He's not really to be trusted.

Ah, but then, we all have our agendas, don't we?

What that video looked like, and what it may be? Who's to say. I find it is always best to keep an open mind. Isn't that what you are always trying to get other forum members to do? Seems like you are coming off as a pretty big hypocrite if you ask me. . . .

I'm just saying, let's keep our minds open to the possibility that, maybe, just maybe, this Ebola thing is just one big Giant conspiracy. Am I right? lol

Or at least that's what the locals think. . .

MisterBeale,

MisterBeale,

I've seen Michael Moore speak in person at the Rose Center Basketball stadium at CMU. (Mt. Pleasant.) You would think being from Michigan, that you, yourself would take the initiative to go and talk to the guy.

Maybe Hell's Half-Mile will finally have gained some respectability when they have categories for documentaries and can draw him there, eh? Not many folks realize it, but Flint IS part of the Saginaw valley, and as such, Hell's Half-Mile will go no where until and unless it gains some recognition from THE local talent, namely, Moore.

For a queer, he is pretty intelligent, barring the fact that he can't help but be hyper-partisan. Go ask him some questions, get into a dialectic dialog with the fellow.

You will find that he is a left wing gate keeper for the dialog of the elites. He's not really to be trusted.

Ah, but then, we all have our agendas, don't we?

What that video looked like, and what it may be? Who's to say. I find it is always best to keep an open mind. Isn't that what you are always trying to get other forum members to do? Seems like you are coming off as a pretty big hypocrite if you ask me. . . .

I'm just saying, let's keep our minds open to the possibility that, maybe, just maybe, this Ebola thing is just one big Giant conspiracy. Am I right? lol

Or at least that's what the locals think. . .

MisterBeale,
You say I should talk to Mr Moore. But unless he's within walking distance, that isn't likely to happen. Even then, I doubt if he waoud want to talk to a Nazi sympathizer. You also talk about my agenda. But I don't think you know what that is. If you want to know, look at my thread, "Why Vote National Socialist. (nazi Party)" I would appreciate you leaving a message there. So it can move up on the list.

As to the video you mentioned, there are too many obvious problems to deal with to go off looking for conspiracies. I also know enough about such things to pass them by without being a hypocrite. Which reminds me of a documentary that I didn't mention, but has some fascinating information. Even though, for the most part, it wasn't really anything I didn't already know about. It's called, "Greedy Lying Bastards."

As for the ebola conspiracy thing, people said the same sorts of things about HIV. But such diseases, in various forms, exist in various animals there.

Forum List

Back