Stop telling Teachers to Confiscate Kids' Cell Phones/Electronics. It is a dangerous and ineffective practice

It's when a dishonest idiot cannot address the legitimate arguments made by an opponent so instead, he lies and makes up bullshit fake arguments, and falsely attributes those to his opponent.
I have attributed nothing to you but what you have made the mistake of posting. If examples of very similar forms of flawed thinking cause you to be ashamed of yourself, they should.

I have attributed nothing to you but what you have made the mistake of posting.

5 year olds should hunt, skin, gut, and cook dinner for their families.
10 year olds should drive themselves to school.
12 year olds should have beer with dinner.
14 year olds should do electrical work around the house.

LiarFace-topaz-enhance-2048h-textai.png

Just as "remote learning" was more than proven to be a complete disaster for education, "using cell phones in class only for educational purposes" has been demonstrably negative in schools. Someone just sitting at home imagining things probably wouldn't know that. I, on the other hand, have seen it with my own two eyes many, many times.

Yeah but these cells are far more personal to the younger generation. Everything from their social media to pictures. Every generarion is out of control in their youth, it is only going to become worse in the Atheist world where.violence is accepted by adults.

Not in school.

Where did I say that YOU had said those things? Do you feel uncomfortable about what it makes you realize about YOUR position? Why don't you go ahead and restate your opinion in a way that doesn't suggest exactly the same thing. Don't want to misrepresent your position after all.

Where did I say that YOU had said those things? Do you feel uncomfortable about what it makes you realize about YOUR position? Why don't you go ahead and restate your opinion in a way that doesn't suggest exactly the same thing. Don't want to misrepresent your position after all.

The manner in which you presented them was very clearly intended to attribute them to me.

In any case, you have solidly proven yourself to be a lying piece of shit; completely lacking in intelligence and integrity.

If I had any sense, I would refrain from wasting any more of my attention on you, as you have proven yourself beyond any doubt, to be unworthy of my attention.

Alas, that particular form of sense is something in which I, myself, often prove lacking.

Several of our local high schools here in Central/Western MA have an interesting policy…

Upon arrival at school, students are handed a pouch in which to place their cell phone(s)/tablet(s). The pouch, which has some signal blocking technology ) is then closed and locked by a faculty member. The student then either Carrie’s the pouch with them or leaves it in their locker until the end of the day. Shortly before dismissal, faculty members unlock the pouches and the students retrieve their devices. Students found to be ignoring this policy or attempting to open the pouches are sent home and issued an unexcused absence for the day.

The students in my class do NOT use cell phones. They may use their laptops WHEN I permit.

It seems to me that everyone else who has said anything in this thread is failing to consider the true issues involved.

Consider the fact that most of these schoolchildren are expected, eventually, to grow up to be adults, and to try to function as productive members of society, in many instances by holding and working at jobs.

They need to learn to balance their use of cell phones, and the demands that cell phones tend to make on one's attention, with the needs of their jobs and other aspects of living in The Real World. From what I have seen, to many adults have not learned to manage this balance, and nothing has been suggested in this thread that will help anyone to learn it. Only the brutal misuse of force by tyrants, to rob people of their rightful property has been suggested a a solution, but in the end, this is no solution at all.

And I have seen the fruits of what this will unavoidably produce. I've had coworkers who allowed their cell phones to deeply cut into their productivity at the job; coworkers who have been conditions to see their supervisors as tyrants, merely for demanding that these workers do their jobs rather than giving all their attention to their cell phones. I've seen twelve-thousand-pound forklifts zooming down warehouse aisles, carrying up to their six-thousand-pound capacity of cargo (eighteen-thousand pounds total GVWR), being driven by idiots who are paying too much attention to their cell phones, and not nearly enough attention to where they are driving.

I've seen nothing in this thread that suggests any genuine solution to the genuine problem.

The cell phone genie is out of the bottle, and is not going to be forced back into it. People are going to have cell phones, whether they are students in school, or workers on a job.

We need to be teaching people, from an early age, how to maintain a proper balance between cell phone use, and allowing their attention to be sufficiently on other thins where it is required. A modern cell phone is an incredible tool, that can be used for great purposes that can increase one's capability and productivity; but it is a two-edged sword, that can also have devastating impacts on capability and productivity as a result of its capacity to distract its user's attention from where that attention needs to be.

One major capability of a modern cell phones is the ability to quickly obtain information that might otherwise not be immediately available. Surely, anyone can see how this ability, properly applied, could be a great asset in an educational environment.

It will take someone with different knowledge than what I have to figure out the details, but I think it is clear that there needs to be a different approach in education, than what anyone else has suggested, to dealing with students' use of cell phones, and teaching students to make good use of this resource, and to avoid allowing it to distract their attention away from where it needs to be at any given time.

But it probably won't happen. It's much easier for teachers to become tyrants, bullies, and robbers, than it is for them to address this matter correctly.

Right, you showed your whole butt on this issue.

Choose your adventure, choose your terms. Not having a cell phone on you, or having the "right" to confiscate disruptive property, is right there in the District Code of Conduct in almost all districts. Parents sign this. So do students. If you don't like it, you have the right to choose a different school or HOMESCHOOL.

None of this was about whether it's wise to take phones away, or even effective. It's about you saying it's "robbery", which is patently ridiculous. It's not. No more so than CHOOSING to fly with a gun and then saying your gun was "robbed".

It seems to me that everyone else who has said anything in this thread is failing to consider the true issues involved.

Consider the fact that most of these schoolchildren are expected, eventually, to grow up to be adults, and to try to function as productive members of society, in many instances by holding and working at jobs.

They need to learn to balance their use of cell phones, and the demands that cell phones tend to make on one's attention, with the needs of their jobs and other aspects of living in The Real World. From what I have seen, to many adults have not learned to manage this balance, and nothing has been suggested in this thread that will help anyone to learn it. Only the brutal misuse of force by tyrants, to rob people of their rightful property has been suggested a a solution, but in the end, this is no solution at all.

And I have seen the fruits of what this will unavoidably produce. I've had coworkers who allowed their cell phones to deeply cut into their productivity at the job; coworkers who have been conditions to see their supervisors as tyrants, merely for demanding that these workers do their jobs rather than giving all their attention to their cell phones. I've seen twelve-thousand-pound forklifts zooming down warehouse aisles, carrying up to their six-thousand-pound capacity of cargo (eighteen-thousand pounds total GVWR), being driven by idiots who are paying too much attention to their cell phones, and not nearly enough attention to where they are driving.

I've seen nothing in this thread that suggests any genuine solution to the genuine problem.

The cell phone genie is out of the bottle, and is not going to be forced back into it. People are going to have cell phones, whether they are students in school, or workers on a job.

We need to be teaching people, from an early age, how to maintain a proper balance between cell phone use, and allowing their attention to be sufficiently on other thins where it is required. A modern cell phone is an incredible tool, that can be used for great purposes that can increase one's capability and productivity; but it is a two-edged sword, that can also have devastating impacts on capability and productivity as a result of its capacity to distract its user's attention from where that attention needs to be.

One major capability of a modern cell phones is the ability to quickly obtain information that might otherwise not be immediately available. Surely, anyone can see how this ability, properly applied, could be a great asset in an educational environment.

It will take someone with different knowledge than what I have to figure out the details, but I think it is clear that there needs to be a different approach in education, than what anyone else has suggested, to dealing with students' use of cell phones, and teaching students to make good use of this resource, and to avoid allowing it to distract their attention away from where it needs to be at any given time.

But it probably won't happen. It's much easier for teachers to become tyrants, bullies, and robbers, than it is for them to address this matter correctly.

Moreover, and as a reminder, you condoned a teacher being throttled to the floor by a huge high schooler because she dared to "rob" (she did not) said student of his device.

Put this in any other context. Driver is stopped by cops. Driver is found to have gun on him. Cops disable gun and set it on the hood of the car (same as what happened to the boy). Is the driver right to throttle the cop to the ground because his gun was "robbed"?

If the TSA swipes the bottle of shampoo in your carry on, do you get to throttle them to the ground because you were "robbed"?

It's ridiculous.

Moreover, and as a reminder, you condoned a teacher being throttled to the floor by a huge high schooler because she dared to "rob" (she did not) said student of his device.

And you take the side of that teacher violently assaulting that student and attempting to rob him of his rightful property.

What high ground do you think you have on which to stand, taking the side of a violent robber against the right of that robber's intended victim to defend himself and his property?

Not only was it just plain wrong to try to rob that student, but it was damned stupid to pick such a fight with someone who was bigger and stronger and well capable of defending himself.

She got what she deserved.

And you take the side of that teacher violently assaulting that student and attempting to rob him of his rightful property.

What high ground do you think you have on which to stand, taking the side of a violent robber against the right of that robber's intended victim to defend himself and his property?

Not only was it just plain wrong to try to rob that student, but it was damned stupid to pick such a fight with someone who was bigger and stronger and well capable of defending himself.

She got what she deserved.

That's right Bob, show your whole butt and never back down

That's right Bob, show your whole butt and never back down

Why should I back down.

I'm right.

To the very deepest, most essential level of basic ethics, I am completely right, and you are completely wrong.

You defend stealing, and you defend the misuse of force and violence in order to steal. You are on the side of violent, thieving criminal shit, and I am on the side of human beings.

Based on other examples that you gave, you seem to very much favor the “right” of anyone with a modicum of authority to outrageously abuse that authority to the harm of others. You mentioned the TSA; do you support the way that they sexually grope and abuse airline passengers on a routine basis?

Why should I back down.

I'm right.

To the very deepest, most essential level of basic ethics, I am completely right, and you are completely wrong.

You defend stealing, and you defend the misuse of force and violence in order to steal. You are on the side of violent, thieving criminal shit, and I am on the side of human beings.

Based on other examples that you gave, you seem to very much favor the “right” of anyone with a modicum of authority to outrageously abuse that authority to the harm of others. You mentioned the TSA; do you support the way that they sexually grope and abuse airline passengers on a routine basis?

I don't think people should be armed in a tin can at 36,000 feet. People know they CANNOT be armed; those are the rules. If you don't like those rules, take a train, a boat, or drive. It's that simple.

I don't think people should be armed in a tin can at 36,000 feet. People know they CANNOT be armed; those are the rules. If you don't like those rules, take a train, a boat, or drive. It's that simple.

Do you think it is justifiable for those filthy TSA perverts to be indiscriminately sexually molesting passengers, on the pretense of making sure they're not armed?

Do you think it is justifiable for those filthy TSA perverts to be indiscriminately sexually molesting passengers, on the pretense of making sure they're not armed?

I think that's what you agree to when you fly at the moment. If you don't like it, you can either not fly, or petition to have it changed via the proper channels of our representative republic. The proper response is not to tackle the TSA agent to the ground because he "robbed" you of the object you were WELL INFORMED you were NOT supposed to bring on board.

If you tackle the TSA agent to the ground, whether you agree with the policy or not, you will be arrested and either jailed or fined.

Now how much more of your butt are you gonna show?

Forum List

Back