SpaceX Publicly Says Trump's Mars Deadline is "Achievable"

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
SpaceX Publicly Says Trump's Mars Deadline is "Achievable"

"Having people on Mars in the mid-2020s is something that is achievable."

On Tuesday, the Humans to Mars Summit in Washington, D.C. kicked off, a day filled with panels on questions surrounding how we’ll get to the red planet: Standard fare. But, it ended quite unpredictably: Retired Astronaut Buzz Aldrin posed a question inspired by an off-the-cuff remark from President Donald Trump.
Representatives from five different juggernaut spaceflight companies were the same stage to face Aldrin’s question, at the end of a panel on the different kinds of architectures each is developing to safely transport humans to Mars and establish a colony there.
Aldrin reminded them of the strange scene in the White House on April 24, when Trump, in a call to the International Space Station, asked a question about when NASA planned to make it to Mars.
After being told in no uncertain terms it would be a while, Trump rattled off the following line the same way a small-town contractor does when bidding on a city-financed project at a city council meeting

I think we can we get there within 5-8 years and I think the people we send should become colonist. We should send a living module and send food and stuff to mars every few years for them.

We shall see. Not only is going to Mars about 1000X times harder and more dangerous than the Moon, but vastly more expensive. Undoubtedly, many people will die. I am all for space, etc., was a former member of The Planetary Society, but I'm not sure the absolute necessity and advantage of being on Mars right now. Plenty of problems here needing fixed.

Forum List

Back