China plans asteroid base for interstellar travel and mining

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America

"It’s one small step for man, one giant opportunity for miners" - "one asteroid could have as much as $US50 billion worth of platinum, as well as water and other precious resources"

IN AN effort to mine precious metals potentially worth trillions of dollars and aid interstellar travel, China has unveiled plans to build a base on an asteroid, likely to happen “in the near future”.
Ye Peijian, the chief commander and designer of the Chinese Lunar Exploration Program, revealed details that could potentially put an unmanned craft on an asteroid and mine the rock for metals like palladium, platinum and others that are used in items such as smartphones and cars.
“In the near future, we will study ways to send robots or astronauts to mine suitable asteroids and transport the resources back to Earth,” Peijian said in comments reported by China Daily.

Go China, go!!!!

"It’s one small step for man, one giant opportunity for miners" - "one asteroid could have as much as $US50 billion worth of platinum, as well as water and other precious resources"

IN AN effort to mine precious metals potentially worth trillions of dollars and aid interstellar travel, China has unveiled plans to build a base on an asteroid, likely to happen “in the near future”.
Ye Peijian, the chief commander and designer of the Chinese Lunar Exploration Program, revealed details that could potentially put an unmanned craft on an asteroid and mine the rock for metals like palladium, platinum and others that are used in items such as smartphones and cars.
“In the near future, we will study ways to send robots or astronauts to mine suitable asteroids and transport the resources back to Earth,” Peijian said in comments reported by China Daily.

Go China, go!!!!

Here you go pal:

China

get your gear:

http://images.china.cn/attachement/jpg/site1004/20091026/000cf1bdd0220c4f536b02.jpg

Last edited:
China is going all out to educate it's population, they are working toward being #1 in space, and here we are. with the senile old orange clown and his willfully ignorant minions trying to shut down both education and science here in the US.

It was Obama who killed the Orion Program, the last manned space program the US will have for the next 30 years.

NASA is now officially a branch of PETA.

China is going all out to educate it's population, they are working toward being #1 in space, and here we are. with the senile old orange clown and his willfully ignorant minions trying to shut down both education and science here in the US.

It was Obama who killed the Orion Program, the last manned space program the US will have for the next 30 years.

The Orion program is very much alive

'on October 11, 2010, the Constellation program was cancelled, ending development of the Altair, Ares I, and Ares V. '

Constellation was the program to use the Orion module to return to the moon by 2025. Altair and Ares are the lifting bodies required for that program.

A capsule without a lifting body is the world's most expensive door stop.

'on October 11, 2010, the Constellation program was cancelled, ending development of the Altair, Ares I, and Ares V. '

Constellation was the program to use the Orion module to return to the moon by 2025. Altair and Ares are the lifting bodies required for that program.

A capsule without a lifting body is the world's most expensive door stop.

remember you are explaining this to people who voted for Hillary so....

The Orion program is very much alive

He talking about Obama killing Bush Jr moon mission in favor of landing on a asteroid...

Well Trump's budget kills Obama's asteroid man mission.

Trump's NASA budget preserves Mars mission, cuts Earth science, asteroid trip, education

Ah yes, the awful thought of an American capitalist beating the rest of the world to Mars. Given Musk's record of innovation and vision, a very good chance that he will do that.

Go China, go!!!!

I think it will be cost prohibitive to mine asteroids. $50 billion is a lot of money but it will likely cost as much or more to undertake such endeavors.

Am I for exploring and doing these things? Hell yes, I'll volunteer for the first Mars base. I do think anything beyond the moon is going to require the resources of the entire human race. So fine let's get it going!

one asteroid could have as much as $US50 billion worth of platinum

The cost of the Apollo Program to put 12 astronauts on the moon without mining equipment to bring back 382Kg of materials .... $110 Billion (in 2014 dollars)
Projected cost of returning to the moon and establishing a presence .... $1 Trillion
Projected cost of a mars mission... $10 Trillion

Any asteroid mining on a recurring basis will require a Moon/Mars/Orbital facility to supply it -- a round trip of Billion Kilometers just to go back for more food/air/water is a bit impractical (not to mention lift costs from Earth)

Another factor, if Asteroid mining produces large quantities of precious commodities, the prices of said commodities will plummet. The same thing happened to Spain in the 16th Century as gold came pouring in from the New World, the value of gold plummeted, leading to a century of wide-spread inflation throughout Europe.

I'm not saying space isn't a worthwhile goal. I think it's the ultimate goal of mankind to expand throughout this solar system and beyond to the stars. But ...

... we're using rocket technology developed in the 1940's and that would be like trying to colonise the new world with rafts made of reeds.

Heavier lifting bodies give you economies of scale, but nothing Musk is proposing is anywhere near the leap in technology to get man to the Moon, much less Mars, in any serious way.

A Space Elevator, permanent Orbital communities (of hundreds of humans, not tens), large-scale ion-propulsion, those are the technologies that will give us the jumping off point for the eventual exploitation of the Solar System and NO ONE is working on them.

Instead of deifying a self-promoting huckster like Musk ... let's see someone put their money into technologies that will actually get us back into space in a meaningful way ... not circus side-shows.

My, but you are one sour old man. Musk a self promoting huckster? Not hardly. The Tesla cars, the Tesla battery plant. Then there is Space X, steadily relanding it's boosters now, and even has reflown one of them. Does he have big and seemingly impossible ideas? You bet, and with his past acheivements, maybe with him the impossible only takes a bit longer.

Now if you were talking about our present President, you would have a point.

Yea but let’s ask usmb members if it’s important or a waste of time and I think we will find liberals think it’s important we get off this rock so we don’t die when the planet becomes inhabitable and conservatives aren’t worried about it because they’re looking forward to heaven. Liberals worry about the human race. Conservatives worry about just themselves no5 their grandkids.

My, but you are one sour old man. Musk a self promoting huckster? Not hardly. The Tesla cars, the Tesla battery plant. Then there is Space X, steadily relanding it's boosters now, and even has reflown one of them. Does he have big and seemingly impossible ideas? You bet, and with his past acheivements, maybe with him the impossible only takes a bit longer.

Now if you were talking about our present President, you would have a point.
Did you see Elon on snl? Cool guy.

I saw a movie tonight on Netflix where the woman woke up in her pod. She was on a ship going to a planet that is bigger than earth, only takes 13 days to round its sun and is only habitable from the equator. One side is too hot one is too cold. It took the ship with solar sales 60 years to get to the planet. Out of the 3000 pods a meteor destroyed 500 of th3 pods. This woman woke up in her pod. Turned out she was a clone. So all her memories aren’t even hers. And her husband cloned himself too and they were going to reconnect when they got to the new planet. Really cool concept.

Would you pay $100,000 to clone yourself and send you to this new planet? So you can live again in the future with your wife. Only it’s not you. You die here. You send your clone to live again in 60 years. 20 year old. Liv3 another 80 years give or take.

Go China, go!!!!
I'm watching an old How the Universe Works talking about how we need to get off this planet and how we will mine the moon, Mars and meteor belt to build the ship we use to travel from star to star.

They believe if they mix matter and anti matter they can create a fuel that theoretically would never run out. And how they would contain such power? Magnets.

One day we will figure it out. They said potentially we will be able to go 70% the speed of light.

Honestly, one day we need to just master living out in space. Or have 20 arks going to 20 different planets. Then when we get to that planet and master it, send another ark to the next inhabitable planet.

11 billion of these estimated planets may be orbiting Sun-like stars. The nearest such planet may be 12 light-years away, according to the scientists. As of June 2021, a total of 59 potentially habitable exoplanets have been found.

When antimatter collides with matter an explosion occurs, and the two particles are converted to pure energy. Antimatter is considered a perfect fuel since all the prevailing mass taking part in the collision between matter and antimatter is converted into energy.

A rocket ship, powered by smashing lumps of matter and antimatter together, could zip through space at about 70 percent the speed of light, according to a new study.

Anti-matter propulsion wouldn't be quite as fast as a warp powered Starfleet vessel in the Star Trek universe, but it could speed up the trip to Alpha Centauri: Scientists say this method could power a rocket that could get a probe to Alpha Centauri in 40 years, which is 1000-times faster than the technology we have now.

China is also building a radio telescope that will specialize in receiving radio broadcasts from alien civilizations.

Because the Chinese are not hampered by woke considerations they are looking for gene alleles that determine intelligence. The Chinese have an average IQ of 106, so they are not afraid of what they will find.

China is also building a radio telescope that will specialize in receiving radio broadcasts from alien civilizations.

Because the Chinese are not hampered by woke considerations they are looking for gene alleles that determine intelligence. The Chinese have an average IQ of 106, so they are not afraid of what they will find.
You mean they’re arrogant.

Forum List

Back