socks?

so basically you just need to have two accounts or ip servers?

You can have as many sock accounts as you have IPs.

You can have a hella lot IPs.

Start with your desktop, likely wired into cable. One IP.
Then your cellphone, say with Verizon. IP #2.
You have a phone from your job, hooked into their regional phone line. There's your 3rd IP.
You have the computer at work, the 4th IP.
You have a Tablet or Ipad bouncing off the neighbor's signal, giving you a 5th IP.
Then there's the local library, that gives you 6 IPs
Starbucks and assorted other wireless cafes give you 7 (or more) IPs.

Joining a board and jumping too soon into the drama threads, and knowing too much about the players is a dead giveaway.

So is your posting style.

I love it when someone forgets which IP is used by which of their socks.

Timing is everything, socks tend to appear in close proximity to the core personality.

Location, location, location - Not just the physical location of the IPs, but which threads the core and its socks post on. Socks rarely stray far from their owner.

^^^^ - If a bunch of IPs show up at around the same time from some small area, it's a sockfest. (Exceptions being adbots and spambots)

that just seems real complex to have all these personalities on a message board

and you are right that must take a lot of energy and thinking...what a waste

It gets worse.

These people have nothing in RL to connect to. They might have jobs and even families, but it's all grey and beige to them. They don't come to life until they create a bunch of personas and invade some boards. That's where the color and excitement is. And the power. In RL they don't feel listened to, or popular, or strong, or whatever. In multiple numbers, behind some awesome avatars, they're cyber godz. It's like a drug to them.

You have a phone from your job, hooked into their regional phone line. There's your 3rd IP.
You have a Tablet or Ipad bouncing off the neighbor's signal, giving you a 5th IP.

Joining a board and jumping too soon into the drama threads, and knowing too much about the players is a dead giveaway.

Timing is everything, socks tend to appear in close proximity to the core personality.

Location, location, location - Not just the physical location of the IPs, but which threads the core and its socks post on. Socks rarely stray far from their owner.

^^^^ - If a bunch of IPs show up at around the same time from some small area, it's a sockfest. (Exceptions being adbots and spambots)

that just seems real complex to have all these personalities on a message board

and you are right that must take a lot of energy and thinking...what a waste

It gets worse.

These people have nothing in RL to connect to. They might have jobs and even families, but it's all grey and beige to them. They don't come to life until they create a bunch of personas and invade some boards. That's where the color and excitement is. And the power. In RL they don't feel listened to, or popular, or strong, or whatever. In multiple numbers, behind an awesome avatar, they're cyber godz. It's like a drug to them.

Sounds plausible.

It's real. I've admin'd and modded a few (non-related) boards over the years. Their wiring isn't the same as everyone else's.

o hell what was it i watched the other day....tohotblonde?

Talhotblond is a 2009 documentary, detailing an Internet love triangle which resulted in a real life homicide, in a case called the "Internet Chatroom Murder." Thomas Montgomery (screen name: marinesniper), a 47-year-old married man, pleaded guilty to murdering his co-worker, 22-year-old Brian Barrett (screen name: beefcake). The two men were involved in a love triangle with "Katie," an 18 year old girl with the screen name 'talhotblond'. While both men knew each other from work, neither had ever met "Katie" in person. However, "Katie" was a real person, but it was actually her mother, Mary Shieler, who was posing as her daughter, online. Katie was unaware of her mother's actions until after Barrett had been murdered and her mother's role in the case became widely known.

Talhotblond - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

o hell what was it i watched the other day....tohotblonde?

Talhotblond is a 2009 documentary, detailing an Internet love triangle which resulted in a real life homicide, in a case called the "Internet Chatroom Murder." Thomas Montgomery (screen name: marinesniper), a 47-year-old married man, pleaded guilty to murdering his co-worker, 22-year-old Brian Barrett (screen name: beefcake). The two men were involved in a love triangle with "Katie," an 18 year old girl with the screen name 'talhotblond'. While both men knew each other from work, neither had ever met "Katie" in person. However, "Katie" was a real person, but it was actually her mother, Mary Shieler, who was posing as her daughter, online. Katie was unaware of her mother's actions until after Barrett had been murdered and her mother's role in the case became widely known.

Talhotblond - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oh, dear Lord, that is disgusting. But you bring up a good point bones, namely, that the advent of social media has led to a new juristic no-man's land.

back with another question...if they cannot tell who is a sock then how can an admin/mod say someone is not a sock?

If neither IP is "proxy" and the IP's of both shows them in different parts of the country, it's obvious they are not socks.

The only way to identify a sock is by their IP. Some Forums do not allow "proxies" - so a person has to register under their IP. If they have two computers they can have a sock, but if they foul up and let the sock post from their original computer, and they post on the 2nd computer, it will show up, because when Admin does an IP check they can cross reference all the IPs that user has used to log on.

Sometimes you can identify a sock by their writing style. Similarities in what they say and how they phrase their comments. Sentence structure, misspelling of certain words, etc., but the only way to be sure is by checking the IP address.

No.

The only definitive identifier the admins have to weed out sock accounts is IP addresses.

IP addresses can be spoofed easily if you're willing to fork out $19.95/mo for the service.

If you are using your own laptop when you go to Starbucks or any other place, you don't get a different IP address. IPs are assigned to each device, so your computer's IP doesn't change just cause you use it at Starbucks or at a hotel somewhere.

when a poster accuses a new poster of being a sock...arent they simply saying that the admins and mods of this board are failing in their jobs?

so which is it....is this board ran over with socks.....or are the admins/mods doing their job and cleaning out the sock drawer?

Is it "ran" over?

English, bonesie.

English.

We have standards, here.

This Board isn't infested with illiterates.

Am I right, tderpm?

Last edited:
The only advantage for having a sock here at USMB would be to be able to rep your own accounts.....:lol::lol:

Posting from a sock account requires a person to become a different persona in order not to be recognized and make sure you don't bring up something that your sock wouldn't have any way of knowing (historical data, information shared by pm, or contradictory comments) way too much work for no gain....it would take a lot of effort and time to get your sock up to speed where repping you would be worthwhile the trouble.....:cuckoo:

Having a sock or being a sock is too much like work. It's also like talking to yourself.

I don't think it makes much sense to talk to yourself.

Me neither.

Grandma for new Mod when a position comes available! She knows her stuff.

I'd be too heavy-handed with the banhammer, methinks.:D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnjQeSo8g7g"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnjQeSo8g7g[/ame]

Last edited:
... Starbucks and assorted other wireless cafes give you 7 [/B](or more) IPs.

If you are using your own laptop when you go to Starbucks or any other place, you don't get a different IP address. IPs are assigned to each device, so your computer's IP doesn't change just cause you use it at Starbucks or at a hotel somewhere.

It is true dat.

Thanks for the correction.

Having a sock here does more that create repfests. A bunch of socks can saturate a forum with specific-agenda threads and then keep posting in those threads keeping them alive and on the front page. The idea is to force their point of view into everyone's heads, thereby swinging popular opinion and votes towards their party. The socks can also gang up on unsuspecting posters that the core personality doesn't like.

Last edited:
when a poster accuses a new poster of being a sock...arent they simply saying that the admins and mods of this board are failing in their jobs?

so which is it....is this board ran over with socks.....or are the admins/mods doing their job and cleaning out the sock drawer?

Is it "ran" over?

English, bonesie.

English.

We have standards, here.

Am I right, tderpm?

go fuck yourself......is that a complete sentence for ya

Actually you do Mertex. The ISP provides the IP. So if at home you access the net via Time Warner Cable you'll be assigned an IP, when you head to Starbucks and connect to their WiFi provided by another ISP you'll be assigned a different IP.

IP's aren't stored on your device. Hope that makes sense

Is it "ran" over?

English, bonesie.

English.

We have standards, here.

Am I right, tderpm?

:lol:

Is it "ran" over?

English, bonesie.

English.

We have standards, here.

Am I right, tderpm?

Bonesie, Bonesie, Bonsie.

Go wash out your filthy ancient liberal mouth with soap.

:D

Public dis-service announcement.

Despite the fact that strollingbonsies used filthy liberal potty talk at me, the record should reflect that her effort to appear all tough and hard as nails is bogus.

She's actually a softie and a pretty decent homo sapien.

(( See if that doesn't ruin her reputation! ))

Actually you do Mertex. The ISP provides the IP. So if at home you access the net via Time Warner Cable you'll be assigned an IP, when you head to Starbucks and connect to their WiFi provided by another ISP you'll be assigned a different IP.
Well, bummer...I thought the IP was assigned to each device no matter where you took it.
I found this site that explains it very clearly....

IP 101: The Basics of IP Addresses

IP's aren't stored on your device. Hope that makes sense

So, if I want a sock, all I have to do is take my lap top to Starbucks....that's way too much work and time involved, I barely have enough time using the same computer in the same place....:lol::lol:

Forum List

Back