socks?

well thank you.....i know at one time i was ask by a mod why someone was posting from my ip.....i had no ideal what they were talking about and assured them that my husband has zero interest in this message board nor does he care to 'spy' ...that was the last i heard of it....

i never suspect anyone of being a sock or perhaps i just dont dave enough to do it.....

and i could hide behind a sock for a hot minute........

well thank you.....i know at one time i was ask by a mod why someone was posting from my ip.....i had no ideal what they were talking about and assured them that my husband has zero interest in this message board nor does he care to 'spy' ...that was the last i heard of it....

i never suspect anyone of being a sock or perhaps i just dont dave enough to do it.....

That happens a lot when people are issued a Dynamic IP. We'll see you and 15 other members on the same IP. Current staff are pretty good with all the different scenarios regarding static ip's, dynamic ip's, proxies, etc

That happens a lot when people are issued a Dynamic IP. We'll see you and 15 other members on the same IP. Current staff are pretty good with all the different scenarios regarding static ip's, dynamic ip's, proxies, etc

wow....i got no clue what any of that means

wow....i got no clue what any of that means
:) Dynamic IP addresses usually change each time you connect to the Internet. Dynamic IP addresses are the normal customer access method used by most ISPs (internet Service Providers)

AOL is an example. Each time you log on, AOL will show you could be anywhere. IF you use them as your ISP. They bounce you around from location to location. For example, you live in St. Louis...but it shows your ISP is in Montana, or Kentucky, or even Missouri.

So, the most anyone can really go by is clues, posting styles, possible agendas, or like someone else said...knowing stuff but are semi noob and suck at being a sock and tipping their socky hands.

Also, [MENTION=11703]strollingbones[/MENTION] - if you are running on wireless and have not passcoded it, then any person with the right hardware and software can drive by your house and surf from your isp.

AOL is an example. Each time you log on, AOL will show you could be anywhere. IF you use them as your ISP. They bounce you around from location to location. For example, you live in St. Louis...but it shows your ISP is in Montana, or Kentucky, or even Missouri.

So, the most anyone can really go by is clues, posting styles, possible agendas, or like someone else said...knowing stuff but are semi noob and suck at being a sock and tipping their socky hands.

But not everyone. My server has a very fixed set of one or two possible IPs and that's that. The second is just for emergencies, I was told, and the front end digits are still the same.

But not everyone. My server has a very fixed set of one or two possible IPs and that's that. The second is just for emergencies, I was told, and the front end digits are still the same.
Well whoever told you that are WAYYYYY off :)

when a poster accuses a new poster of being a sock...arent they simply saying that the admins and mods of this board are failing in their jobs?

so which is it....is this board ran over with socks.....or are the admins/mods doing their job and cleaning out the sock drawer?

The board is overrun. I have as much fun as anyone trying to guess who belongs to which poster but I don't say what I'm thinking on that subject. If I'm wrong it could really hurt someone who is real and just wants to post.

I don't know why admin can't figure something like this out. Maybe they just want the board numbers to stay high.

I just know I would screw up somehow and out myself.

They can't figure it out because troll socks hide very well. IF someone comes back as a sock and they came back because they don't want history dredged up and not given a chance to show they have changed to a better person or just want to post in peace without a data miner hounding them....I see no problem with that at all. If they come back to continue their neverending wars and battles and assholiness..that's another story.

when a poster accuses a new poster of being a sock...arent they simply saying that the admins and mods of this board are failing in their jobs?

No.

The only definitive identifier the admins have to weed out sock accounts is IP addresses.

IP addresses can be spoofed easily if you're willing to fork out $19.95/mo for the service.

so basically you just need to have two accounts or ip servers?

You can have as many sock accounts as you have IPs.

You can have a hella lot IPs.

Start with your desktop, likely wired into cable. One IP.
Then your cellphone, say with Verizon. IP #2.
You have a phone from your job, hooked into their regional phone line. There's your 3rd IP.
You have the computer at work, the 4th IP.
You have a Tablet or Ipad bouncing off the neighbor's signal, giving you a 5th IP.
Then there's the local library, that gives you 6 IPs
Starbucks and assorted other wireless cafes give you 7 (or more) IPs.

Joining a board and jumping too soon into the drama threads, and knowing too much about the players is a dead giveaway.

So is your posting style.

I love it when someone forgets which IP is used by which of their socks.

Timing is everything, socks tend to appear in close proximity to the core personality.

Location, location, location - Not just the physical location of the IPs, but which threads the core and its socks post on. Socks rarely stray far from their owner.

^^^^ - If a bunch of IPs show up at around the same time from some small area, it's a sockfest. (Exceptions being adbots and spambots)

No.

The only definitive identifier the admins have to weed out sock accounts is IP addresses.

IP addresses can be spoofed easily if you're willing to fork out $19.95/mo for the service.

You have a phone from your job, hooked into their regional phone line. There's your 3rd IP.
You have a Tablet or Ipad bouncing off the neighbor's signal, giving you a 5th IP.

Joining a board and jumping too soon into the drama threads, and knowing too much about the players is a dead giveaway.

Timing is everything, socks tend to appear in close proximity to the core personality.

Location, location, location - Not just the physical location of the IPs, but which threads the core and its socks post on. Socks rarely stray far from their owner.

^^^^ - If a bunch of IPs show up at around the same time from some small area, it's a sockfest. (Exceptions being adbots and spambots)

:lol::eusa_clap::lol:

No.

that just seems real complex to have all these personalities on a message board

and you are right that must take a lot of energy and thinking...what a waste

that just seems real complex to have all these personalities on a message board

and you are right that must take a lot of energy and thinking...what a waste

Right! Who the hell wants to play that game to begin with? It's stupid.

Forum List

Back