Should We Arm Our Teachers?

What is Mrs. Futhey and her side arm compared to that and how is she going to be more effective than the United States Secret Service?

She doesn't have to be...but an unknown number of armed and trained staff is a deterrent to random attackers....she doesn't have to engage an attacker, but the attacker will never know who is armed and who isn't and that will require them to be slower, and more cautious if they attack a school. Also....having someone on the scene with a weapon can slow or even stop the attack.....it takes police up to 4 minutes to arrive at the scene....Sandy Hook...the killing was over in 5 minutes.....

If you people would study these shootings you would see that as soon as these guys are confronted by armed resistance they commit suicide, surrender or are killed....and immediate armed resistance cuts down on the number of deaths in these situations....stats on these attacks demonstrate this.....

So far I've heard of several teachers shooting themselves, but not saving anyone. Good thing they didn't shoot a student.

So far I have seen all of these school shootings where none of the staff were armed....and lots of people were killed....these schools were gun free zones and having no one on site armed allowed a lot of people to die....far more than in any accidents....

Horrible idea. It would be far more likely a teacher would accidently shoot a student than ever even be in a position to defend them, let alone qualified to act.
You have statistics to support this?
How many armed teachers have accidentally shot a student?

Having a concealed carry permit does not mean your are even vaguely competent with a firearm.
Neither does carrying a badge and police credentials -- but you have no issue with cops carrying guns.
:dunno:

Police go through extensive and ongoing training. It is not the same thing as spending a couple of hours shooting at targets. Police have to actually qualify, the CC student only has to show up. I have three cards myself, and not one of them required I demonstrate I can hit anything.

There is an old saying that guns don't kill people, people kill people. That is true. It is also true that guns don't save people, people do. The idea that putting a gun in the hand of an untrained and untried person, in the middle of a bunch of children, and they are going to suddenly turn into John Wayne in an emergency is pure fantasy. The most likely scenario is they are just going to be another source of wild firing. And that does not address the issue of the weapons being in the school to begin with, loaded, unlocked and accessible. If you don't see the potential for disaster there then you really need to start thinking. Not everything in the movies is real.

There are no stats on this because the stupidity is only just beginning. When the stats begin, I'm sure people will find someone to blame it on.

There are countless examples of everyday people with very little training doing the right thing in the middle of this sort of chaos...you rarely see it because it doesn't interest the main stream media outlets....thetruthaboutguns, gunssavelives, and thearmedcitizen sites all collect stories from around the country....mostly from small, local news sources because again, these stories are ignored....and give the impression that they never happen....which is far from true....

No one is expecting teachers or staff to run around the school to engage a shooter, it primarily gives the teacher or staff a chance to stop the attack if they are in the line of fire...also, just the notion that an unknown number of staff are armed and trained is a deterrent to these events...I know of 4 mass shooters who planned their attacks specifically for gun free zones....2 avoided locations they knew would have either armed civilians or police, and the other two planned on killing the police liason officer first to create their own "gun free zone"

And there are several school districts that already have armed teachers and staff and have had them for years......so anti gun propaganda is again coloring the stories....

The best thing to do.....end school gun free zones.....allow law abiding, legally armed parents to carry their weapons with them.....parents are in and out of elementary schools on most days, volunteering or dropping off things for their children....it would be another random armed defender that an attacker would have to account for in their planning....

Yeah the day the school I just enrolled my children in allows random parents to carry weapons on campus is the day I pull my kids out of that school.

First of all, the ODDS of being involved in a school shooting are miniscule.Certainly not worth arming a bunch of teachers.

Second of all, put a damn police officer on every campus. and secure the campus.

if the teacher has a conceal carry card, I have no problem with them taking it to school.
I do have a problem with making and advertising an area as a "Gun Free Zone".
That is like telling the criminals/terrorist they have a free reign to commit their crimes.

There was an armed guard at Columbine and another one near by. So much for that idea. Of course the gun/criminal lobby supports this because they are paid to push gun sales.

The armed guard at Columbine exchanged fire with the perpetrators and allowed many students to escape.

Horrible idea. It would be far more likely a teacher would accidently shoot a student than ever even be in a position to defend them, let alone qualified to act.

Having a concealed carry permit does not mean your are even vaguely competent with a firearm.
Neither does carrying a badge and police credentials -- but you have no issue with cops carrying guns.

Police go through extensive and ongoing training. It is not the same thing as spending a couple of hours shooting at targets. Police have to actually qualify, the CC student only has to show up. I have three cards myself, and not one of them required I demonstrate I can hit anything.

There is an old saying that guns don't kill people, people kill people. That is true. It is also true that guns don't save people, people do. The idea that putting a gun in the hand of an untrained and untried person, in the middle of a bunch of children, and they are going to suddenly turn into John Wayne in an emergency is pure fantasy. The most likely scenario is they are just going to be another source of wild firing. And that does not address the issue of the weapons being in the school to begin with, loaded, unlocked and accessible. If you don't see the potential for disaster there then you really need to start thinking. Not everything in the movies is real.

There are no stats on this because the stupidity is only just beginning. When the stats begin, I'm sure people will find someone to blame it on.

There are countless examples of everyday people with very little training doing the right thing in the middle of this sort of chaos...you rarely see it because it doesn't interest the main stream media outlets....thetruthaboutguns, gunssavelives, and thearmedcitizen sites all collect stories from around the country....mostly from small, local news sources because again, these stories are ignored....and give the impression that they never happen....which is far from true....

No one is expecting teachers or staff to run around the school to engage a shooter, it primarily gives the teacher or staff a chance to stop the attack if they are in the line of fire...also, just the notion that an unknown number of staff are armed and trained is a deterrent to these events...I know of 4 mass shooters who planned their attacks specifically for gun free zones....2 avoided locations they knew would have either armed civilians or police, and the other two planned on killing the police liason officer first to create their own "gun free zone"

And there are several school districts that already have armed teachers and staff and have had them for years......so anti gun propaganda is again coloring the stories....

The best thing to do.....end school gun free zones.....allow law abiding, legally armed parents to carry their weapons with them.....parents are in and out of elementary schools on most days, volunteering or dropping off things for their children....it would be another random armed defender that an attacker would have to account for in their planning....

Yeah the day the school I just enrolled my children in allows random parents to carry weapons on campus is the day I pull my kids out of that school.

First of all, the ODDS of being involved in a school shooting are miniscule.Certainly not worth arming a bunch of teachers.

Second of all, put a damn police officer on every campus. and secure the campus.
My school district has students in 7 different buildings. I should have to pay for 7 trained officers because of our gun mania? Screw that. In any case, a shooter could mow down dozens before help arrived and that "help" isn`t bullet proof either.

There was an armed guard at Columbine and another one near by. So much for that idea. Of course the gun/criminal lobby supports this because they are paid to push gun sales.

The armed guard at Columbine exchanged fire with the perpetrators and allowed many students to escape.

My school district has students in 7 different buildings. I should have to pay for 7 trained officers because of our gun mania? Screw that. In any case, a shooter could mow down dozens before help arrived and that "help" isn`t bullet proof either.

The school district we just moved into has 5 distinct campuses, and each one has a police officer on duty.

You're ALREADY paying for police. I'd rather pay a cop to sit at a school than pay one to sit on the side of the road looking for speeders.

Why just one? Why not two, or twelve? Can we give them swat gear and body armor? What makes you think that cop is more trustworthy than the principle of the school?

Why just one? Why not two, or twelve? Can we give them swat gear and body armor? What makes you think that cop is more trustworthy than the principle of the school?

I don't think he's more trust worthy Mike.

I don't want the cop running the school either.

See, I want the person who is TRAINED TO DO THE JOB, actually doing the job.

Why not two? Why not twelve? Well because as I said the odds of a school shooting are miniscule and do not warrant that sort of paranoia.

Also, our PD drills for this scenario anyway and the Fast Response Team (they're a swat team but don't like the name LOL) arrives on any of the campuses within 3 minutes of any emergency call.

I understand the idea, but the practical outcome is a bunch of untrained people carrying loaded weapons in a child rich environment. The chance of a random attacker coming in is extremely small. I know it hits the news when it does, but what the news does not report are the hundreds of thousands of other schools that day where it did not happen. The chances of an accident involving a weapon is far greater.

This is not anti-gun. This is anti-absurdity.

So far I've heard of several teachers shooting themselves, but not saving anyone. Good thing they didn't shoot a student.

To emphasis the point......there are a few cases of teachers having accidents with guns.....

Every case of a school attacked by a killer with a gun in which none of the staff were armed...resulted in fatalities...and in some cases massive fatalities......

The idea that gun free zones and disarmed staff work....has been tried and has failed each time it has met the reality of an armed killer.....

Is the solution to arm teachers....considering how rare these events actually are.....if the media didn't play up these shootings I think that would go a lot farther in stopping these attacks.....but arming some administrators might not be a bad idea....

Ending school gun free zones would be a better idea....since it hasn't worked yet.....

Why not two? Why not twelve? Well because as I said the odds of a school shooting are miniscule and do not warrant that sort of paranoia.

Also, our PD drills for this scenario anyway and the Fast Response Team (they're a swat team but don't like the name LOL) arrives on any of the campuses within 3 minutes of any emergency call.

So.. if an unarmed Mike Brown charges a cop at school, is the cop gonna unload his pistol? Nudge.

So.. if an unarmed Mike Brown charges a cop at school, is the cop gonna unload his pistol? Nudge.

LOL you already know I don't think Wilson was very well trained and that led to the shooting.

Most of these shootings are over in 4 minutes....and 3 minutes is the time it takes the police to arrive after someone manages to call 911 and they send the alert to the local p.d. 3 minutes is an eternity....most of these shootings are over in 4 minutes or less.....

I don`t know what happened to my post but my school district has students in 7 different buildings. I should have to pay for 7 cops

To emphasis the point......there are a few cases of teachers having accidents with guns.....

Every case of a school attacked by a killer with a gun in which none of the staff were armed...resulted in fatalities...and in some cases massive fatalities......

The idea that gun free zones and disarmed staff work....has been tried and has failed each time it has met the reality of an armed killer.....

Is the solution to arm teachers....considering how rare these events actually are.....if the media didn't play up these shootings I think that would go a lot farther in stopping these attacks.....but arming some administrators might not be a bad idea....

Ending school gun free zones would be a better idea....since it hasn't worked yet.....
Forget about that "gun free zone" bullshit.
The Gun-Free Zone Myth No relationship between Gun-Free Zones and Mass Shootings Armed With Reason

Most of these shootings are over in 4 minutes....and 3 minutes is the time it takes the police to arrive after someone manages to call 911 and they send the alert to the local p.d. 3 minutes is an eternity....most of these shootings are over in 4 minutes or less.....

Which is why we have an armed officer actually present on each campus .

I'm sorry, but the idea that arming teacher would solve anything is STUPID.

The cop can't be everywhere at once and an armed teacher would be the last line of defense. I wouldn't want any teacher to have one since they are scooping the bottom of the barrel these days but what's stupid about having a qualified teacher armed?

LOL you already know I don't think Wilson was very well trained and that led to the shooting.
What are we talking about here? Off duty cops side lighting for some OT pay? Or is this their regular thing? Really? We're gonna pay a cop full time pay for security guard duty over children? This so we can maintain schools as gun free zones for everyone but the lone cop? You don't think the bad guy would just walk right up and kill the lone cop first? Surprise, I'm a bad guy and your dead?

The cop can't be everywhere at once and an armed teacher would be the last line of defense. I wouldn't want any teacher to have one since they are scooping the bottom of the barrel these days but what's stupid about having a qualified teacher armed?

who needs to be everywhere at once? The campuses are COMPLETELY fenced in with only one entry point open during the day.

Sounds to me like your kids' school just isn't prepared.

Forum List

Back