Should We Arm Our Teachers?

Give them grenades too. In case it's a group that attacks the school.

Here's an idea: Let MY children go to an "armed" school while YOUR children go to an unarmed school. OK?
In almost all of these mass shootings, both the parents and the schools missed plenty of warnings that could have stopped the killings before they happened.

But let's blame the guns.

I don't have a problem with guns. I just get irked when gun nuts proclaim them as a cure for everything.
They have their purposes.
There are many teachers qualified to carry safely.
No need for teachers to have them in desks, but, a few teachers here and there, carrying discreetly, would keep perps guessing.

Sounds good to me. But arming them as suggested in the OP? Essentially putting them on duty? That's crazy.

Give them grenades too. In case it's a group that attacks the school.

Here's an idea: Let MY children go to an "armed" school while YOUR children go to an unarmed school. OK?
In almost all of these mass shootings, both the parents and the schools missed plenty of warnings that could have stopped the killings before they happened.

I don't have a problem with guns. I just get irked when gun nuts proclaim them as a cure for everything.
No need for teachers to have them in desks, but, a few teachers here and there, carrying discreetly, would keep perps guessing.

Sounds good to me. But arming them as suggested in the OP? Essentially putting them on duty? That's crazy.

Reread the OP:

"Some states and local jurisdictions are considering or have already passed laws allowing teachers, faculty and other campus staff to carry firearms on campus."

Reread the OP:

"Some states and local jurisdictions are considering or have already passed laws allowing teachers, faculty and other campus staff to carry firearms on campus."
Some.....considering....allowing...!

Translation: School board press gangs force teachers to carry weapons to class on pain of firing in they refuse.

We should arm the students.
When I first began teaching there were scores of guns in the student parking lot, most openly displayed in gun racks.

The only school shooting was of a spike buck that made the mistake of trying to graze on the newly planted baseball diamond.

Drawn and quartered after being shot, he was barbequed in the ag shop and served to all who wanted some.

I miss those days too. I'm not prepared to say those days were better over all than now, but for me personally, they were great.

Reread the OP:

Some.....considering....allowing...!

Translation: School board press gangs force teachers to carry weapons to class on pain of firing in they refuse.

Meh just read the title. I should probably be working anyways.

Horrible idea. It would be far more likely a teacher would accidently shoot a student than ever even be in a position to defend them, let alone qualified to act. Having a concealed carry permit does not mean your are even vaguely competent with a firearm.
After 16 house of classroom instruction and range training, I'd have to disagree.

16 hours and you think you're qualified to enter a combat situation? That is perhaps the best argument I have yet heard for why it is such a horrible idea.

Horrible idea. It would be far more likely a teacher would accidently shoot a student than ever even be in a position to defend them, let alone qualified to act. Having a concealed carry permit does not mean your are even vaguely competent with a firearm.
After 16 house of classroom instruction and range training, I'd have to disagree.

16 hours and you think you're qualified to enter a combat situation? That is perhaps the best argument I have yet heard for why it is such a horrible idea.
And when seconds count, the cops are where?

Some states and local jurisdictions are considering or have already passed laws allowing teachers, faculty and other campus staff to carry firearms on campus. Additionally, the NRA is recommending this as a step to improve school security.
Supporters claim it means tragic massacres of students could be avoided if teachers could defend themselves against armed fanatics to the same degree.
But is this a good idea?
Is it a good idea for the adults responsible for the safety of the students to have the means to project deadly force in defense of same?
Of course it is. There's no sound argument against doing so.

Horrible idea. It would be far more likely a teacher would accidently shoot a student than ever even be in a position to defend them, let alone qualified to act.
You have statistics to support this?
How many armed teachers have accidentally shot a student?

Having a concealed carry permit does not mean your are even vaguely competent with a firearm.
Neither does carrying a badge and police credentials -- but you have no issue with cops carrying guns.
:dunno:

Last edited:
Arming-Teachers_zpsb8888822.jpg

Actually, it is on a volunteer basis...and school districts in several states are already doing this....

I guess you don't read the sites, thearmedcitizen, thetruthaboutguns or gunssavelives....they have hundreds of stories of people with even less training using guns to defend themsleves against violent attackers...usually, they never fire a shot, and simply hold the criminal until the police arrive....of course....of the 1.6 million times a year that law abiding citizens, on average, use guns to stop violent crimes and save lives....not all of them are Navy Seals.....

a lot of the time it is smaller, weaker or out numbered citizens fighting off much larger, more agressive or more numerous criminals and armed criminals....with a gun....and they win....

guns are not that complicated and good people do not tend to spray and pray since they actually don't want to shoot or kill anyone to start with....

Hopefully not on their way to discover a teacher pulled their weapon in panic and shot their own kid.

I saw a presentation on Columbine....they played the call made to 911 by the school's librarian...she had a library full of kids and the killers were out in the hallway...you could hear her tell the kids to get back down underneath the tables several times. The thing that was said about the situation...she was reacting with her training...she sheltered in place and waited for rescue....even though the back door of the library led to a stairwell that led to an outside door and an escape route...had she taken the kids that way they would have lived.....

No one faulted the librarian...she did as she was trained....the thing is...had she had a pistol with her...and as part of the staff that didn't interact too closely with students, it would make sense that she could possibly be a concealed carrier, if she had had a pistol...she could have held the two killers off until police arrived....they likely would have moved on to kill other people in the building...unless they too had weapons.....

One armed security guard, for an entire high school building is silly to think they can be everywhere they would be needed....multiple armed administrators and other staff, unknown as to who actually was armed....would be a big deterrent against these attacks....

Hopefully not on their way to discover a teacher pulled their weapon in panic and shot their own kid.

You need to rely less on the irrational anti gun propaganda, and research actual stories......there are 1.6 million each year on average....and your fear of panic stricken people will be relieved....

:slap:

One armed security guard, for an entire high school building is silly to think they can be everywhere they would be needed....multiple armed administrators and other staff, unknown as to who actually was armed....would be a big deterrent against these attacks....
People who oppose allowing the possibility for armed teachers generally believe that the state should have a monopoly on force.
Of course, they don't understand that public schools are part of the state...

Forum List

Back