Should We Arm Our Teachers?

Here is the thing....you anti gun people assume that the teachers are going to run around the school doing combat rolls looking to engage the killers in a shoot out.....and you are wrong....

If there is a killer in the school, all the teacher has to do is stand in the door way of their class room and monitor their hallway.....they don't have to draw the weapon until they see an attacker enter their area.....they can then yell....."Stop, I am armed and will shoot".....from a covered position of their classroom door....the guy will run, shoot, or try to advance....if he leaves the area, the teacher stays in place...if he shoots, the teacher can draw their weapon and return fire...and if he tries to advance down the hall the teacher can draw and shoot....

All these armed teachers need to do is secure areas......they just have to wait for the police to arrive....but by being armed, they deny access to the killer/killers and slow them down....

Please, a little more thought into reality, rather than what you see in the movies.....

LOL by and large teachers aren't even doing the job they have now successfully, but you think arming them is a good idea.
You gonna tell me not one teacher at one school in America is one of Ex-cop or Ex-military? It's not about "arming" teachers, it's about the idiocy of making it illegal for them to be armed.

another reason your article is bullshit August West....

They lump together all gun deaths.....

To put the improbability of mass deaths occurring at school in context, consider that the total number of handgun deaths in the United States (1980-2006) was about 32,000 per year. By comparison, since 1980, 297 people have been killed in school shootings. This amounts to roughly 9 deaths per year at school. Essentially, John Lott and other gun-advocates want teachers, professors, and security officers carrying guns in order to deter extremely unlikely events, a policy that has no substantiating evidence and may actually increase the likelihood of gun fatalities.

According to FBI stats there are only 8-9,000 gun murders a year...in a country of 310 million people.....so until they tell the truth about the difference between the suicide numbers....which are way more than gun murders...they can't be trusted on the other things....they are anti gun propagandists....

Of those 8-9K a year, how many happen at a school Bill? Not enough to warrant arming teachers, that's for damn sure.

We haven't tried confiscating all private guns either Bill. That might work, we just don't know. What you don't want to try it "my" way? Why not Bill. Why don't you care about the kids Bill?

You see how that works???

We have seen how it works....a convicted criminal in Australia still managed to get a gun.....here....with large sea ports and a border with a Narco State.....won't even come close to being possible....

And considering that the anti gunners create gun free zone killing fields in our schools...and won't allow teaching gun safety in our grade schools....to save kids from accidental gun deaths....

Kids dying by guns helps the anti gun movement....it doesn't help me at all......

Here is the thing....you anti gun people assume that the teachers are going to run around the school doing combat rolls looking to engage the killers in a shoot out.....and you are wrong....

If there is a killer in the school, all the teacher has to do is stand in the door way of their class room and monitor their hallway.....they don't have to draw the weapon until they see an attacker enter their area.....they can then yell....."Stop, I am armed and will shoot".....from a covered position of their classroom door....the guy will run, shoot, or try to advance....if he leaves the area, the teacher stays in place...if he shoots, the teacher can draw their weapon and return fire...and if he tries to advance down the hall the teacher can draw and shoot....

All these armed teachers need to do is secure areas......they just have to wait for the police to arrive....but by being armed, they deny access to the killer/killers and slow them down....

Please, a little more thought into reality, rather than what you see in the movies.....

LOL by and large teachers aren't even doing the job they have now successfully, but you think arming them is a good idea.
You gonna tell me not one teacher at one school in America is one of Ex-cop or Ex-military? It's not about "arming" teachers, it's about the idiocy of making it illegal for them to be armed.

^ Get a load of this guy.

He believes a cop shouldn't be allowed to shoot a man who is attacking him, but believes we should allow teachers to carry guns in school.

How do you hold those two dissimilar opinions? Simple, you become a troll.

Of those 8-9K a year, how many happen at a school Bill? Not enough to warrant arming teachers, that's for damn sure.

and you are probably right....sadly, whenever one of these extremely rare events occur...the anti gunners start crying for gun bans and more restrictions....and the media helps them....so if people insist on dealing with this issue...they might as well deal with it in a realistic way......and gun free zones are not working.....arming principals and deans and other staff might actually work....

To put the improbability of mass deaths occurring at school in context, consider that the total number of handgun deaths in the United States (1980-2006) was about 32,000 per year. By comparison, since 1980, 297 people have been killed in school shootings. This amounts to roughly 9 deaths per year at school. Essentially, John Lott and other gun-advocates want teachers, professors, and security officers carrying guns in order to deter extremely unlikely events, a policy that has no substantiating evidence and may actually increase the likelihood of gun fatalities.

According to FBI stats there are only 8-9,000 gun murders a year...in a country of 310 million people.....so until they tell the truth about the difference between the suicide numbers....which are way more than gun murders...they can't be trusted on the other things....they are anti gun propagandists....

So you one of those people that think a scout's pen knife in his car should get a kid banned from school? How deep is your desire to have the innocent law abiding public disarmed?

We haven't tried confiscating all private guns either Bill. That might work, we just don't know. What you don't want to try it "my" way? Why not Bill. Why don't you care about the kids Bill?

We have seen how it works....a convicted criminal in Australia still managed to get a gun.....here....with large sea ports and a border with a Narco State.....won't even come close to being possible....

And considering that the anti gunners create gun free zone killing fields in our schools...and won't allow teaching gun safety in our grade schools....to save kids from accidental gun deaths....

Kids dying by guns helps the anti gun movement....it doesn't help me at all......

Bill, how many school shootings were there in the US in 2014?

So you one of those people that think a scout's pen knife in his car should get a kid banned from school? How far does your desire to have the innocent law abiding public disarmed extend?

Nice strawman , too bad that's NOT what I argued.

and you are probably right....sadly, whenever one of these extremely rare events occur...the anti gunners start crying for gun bans and more restrictions....and the media helps them....so if people insist on dealing with this issue...they might as well deal with it in a realistic way......and gun free zones are not working.....arming principals and deans and other staff might actually work....

The school my kids started at this year has an armed police officer on every campus. They've have had ZERO shootings on campus. Hence, an armed police officer on campus prevents shootings , yes?

He believes a cop shouldn't be allowed to shoot a man who is attacking him, but believes we should allow teachers to carry guns in school.

Yeah cause shooting a mass murder is the same as shooting at an unarmed teen twelve times.

Yeah cause shooting a mass murder is the same as shooting at an unarmed teen twelve times.

Having the TOOLS to shoot someone is the same thing.

So you one of those people that think a scout's pen knife in his car should get a kid banned from school? How far does your desire to have the innocent law abiding public disarmed extend?

Nice strawman , too bad that's NOT what I argued.
Oh so you only want to disarm the public when they are at school? Not when they are at home? What about other public places? Where will you permit is to defend ourselves?

Having the TOOLS to shoot someone is the same thing.
No it's not. Being armed is not the same as being a mass murderer.

Actual...or the ones the anti gunners claim were school shootings? You would have to post the number I don't have it with me.....not many from what I remember...and they aren't going up, they have remained at the same level pretty much.....

and accidental gun deaths with children are going down, not up....but the media isn't reporting that....

Horrible idea. It would be far more likely a teacher would accidently shoot a student than ever even be in a position to defend them, let alone qualified to act.
You have statistics to support this?
How many armed teachers have accidentally shot a student?
Having a concealed carry permit does not mean your are even vaguely competent with a firearm.
Neither does carrying a badge and police credentials -- but you have no issue with cops carrying guns.
:dunno:
Police go through extensive and ongoing training.
Do you need me to cite any number of instances that illustrate incompetent use of guns by the police?

There are no stats on this because the stupidity is only just beginning
So,... you admit you cannot substantively support your claim that " It would be far more likely a teacher would accidently shoot a student than ever even be in a position to defend them", Thank you.

Actual...or the ones the anti gunners claim were school shootings? You would have to post the number I don't have it with me.....not many from what I remember...and they aren't going up, they have remained at the same level pretty much.....

Pretty dame rare In fact, the percentage of schools which suffer a school shooting is FAR less than the number of people who carry who have accidental discharges. FAR less Bill.

Now,, I grant you that when there IS a a school shooting , there are more deaths than occur in an accidental discharge, but that's not what I'm arguing. I'm arguing that teachers carrying at school would probably have around the same percentage of accidental discharges (and we've already seen that) that the general population who concealed carry does , and thus a students odds of being around a gun that is fired (whether on purpose or not) is higher from teachers who carry than it is from a random shooter.

Forum List

Back