Should We Arm Our Teachers?

Yeah the day the school I just enrolled my children in allows random parents to carry weapons on campus is the day I pull my kids out of that school.

First of all, the ODDS of being involved in a school shooting are miniscule.Certainly not worth arming a bunch of teachers.

Second of all, put a damn police officer on every campus. and secure the campus.
Why just one? Why not two, or twelve? Can we give them swat gear and body armor? What makes you think that cop is more trustworthy than the principle of the school?

I don't think he's more trust worthy Mike.

I don't want the cop running the school either.

See, I want the person who is TRAINED TO DO THE JOB, actually doing the job.

Why not two? Why not twelve? Well because as I said the odds of a school shooting are miniscule and do not warrant that sort of paranoia.

Also, our PD drills for this scenario anyway and the Fast Response Team (they're a swat team but don't like the name LOL) arrives on any of the campuses within 3 minutes of any emergency call.

So.. if an unarmed Mike Brown charges a cop at school, is the cop gonna unload his pistol? Nudge.

LOL you already know I don't think Wilson was very well trained and that led to the shooting.
What are we talking about here? Off duty cops side lighting for some OT pay? Or is this their regular thing? Really? We're gonna pay a cop full time pay for security guard duty over children? This so we can maintain schools as gun free zones for everyone but the lone cop? You don't think the bad guy would just walk right up and kill the lone cop first? Surprise, I'm a bad guy and your dead?

No, our cops are on duty, this is their job. Of course they aren't just sitting around in case a shooting occurs.

Which is why we have an armed officer actually present on each campus .

I'm sorry, but the idea that arming teacher would solve anything is STUPID.
The cop can't be everywhere at once and an armed teacher would be the last line of defense. I wouldn't want any teacher to have one since they are scooping the bottom of the barrel these days but what's stupid about having a qualified teacher armed?

who needs to be everywhere at once? The campuses are COMPLETELY fenced in with only one entry point open during the day.

Sounds to me like your kids' school just isn't prepared.
Yeah cause no one will ever figure out how to circumvent a fence.

Why just one? Why not two, or twelve? Can we give them swat gear and body armor? What makes you think that cop is more trustworthy than the principle of the school?

I don't think he's more trust worthy Mike.

I don't want the cop running the school either.

See, I want the person who is TRAINED TO DO THE JOB, actually doing the job.

Why not two? Why not twelve? Well because as I said the odds of a school shooting are miniscule and do not warrant that sort of paranoia.

Also, our PD drills for this scenario anyway and the Fast Response Team (they're a swat team but don't like the name LOL) arrives on any of the campuses within 3 minutes of any emergency call.

So.. if an unarmed Mike Brown charges a cop at school, is the cop gonna unload his pistol? Nudge.

LOL you already know I don't think Wilson was very well trained and that led to the shooting.
What are we talking about here? Off duty cops side lighting for some OT pay? Or is this their regular thing? Really? We're gonna pay a cop full time pay for security guard duty over children? This so we can maintain schools as gun free zones for everyone but the lone cop? You don't think the bad guy would just walk right up and kill the lone cop first? Surprise, I'm a bad guy and your dead?

No, our cops are on duty, this is their job. Of course they aren't just sitting around in case a shooting occurs.
Ok.. what sort of fella is gonna take that shift? Isn't that sort of like assigning a cop crossing guard duty? We have cops that take OT shifts at certain places like that but it's OT pay on top of salary, and easy stuff where they just show presence. We don't actually "hire" full time cops for presence duty. That sounds like overkill to me.

who needs to be everywhere at once? The campuses are COMPLETELY fenced in with only one entry point open during the day.

They aren't fenced in around here and I've never seen one with that level of security. Deliveries and parents, contractors, etc come and go all day. You'd need Checkpoint Charlie and even then a determined nut case can simply shoot the guard.

They aren't fenced in around here and I've never seen one with that level of security. Deliveries and parents, contractors, etc come and go all day. You'd need Checkpoint Charlie and even then a determined nut case can simply shoot the guard.

Sorry your school district is poor.

Public ed scoops up half our property taxes. They are hardly poor, but you evaded the point.

Some states and local jurisdictions are considering or have already passed laws allowing teachers, faculty and other campus staff to carry firearms on campus. Additionally, the NRA is recommending this as a step to improve school security.
Supporters claim it means tragic massacres of students could be avoided if teachers could defend themselves against armed fanatics to the same degree.

But is this a good idea?
I'm good with it.

Public ed scoops up half our property taxes. They are hardly poor, but you evaded the point.

If you have a poor tax base it doesn't matter if they scoop up ALL of your property tax.

I don`t know what happened to my post but my school district has students in 7 different buildings. I should have to pay for 7 cops
So far I've heard of several teachers shooting themselves, but not saving anyone. Good thing they didn't shoot a student.

To emphasis the point......there are a few cases of teachers having accidents with guns.....

Every case of a school attacked by a killer with a gun in which none of the staff were armed...resulted in fatalities...and in some cases massive fatalities......

The idea that gun free zones and disarmed staff work....has been tried and has failed each time it has met the reality of an armed killer.....

Is the solution to arm teachers....considering how rare these events actually are.....if the media didn't play up these shootings I think that would go a lot farther in stopping these attacks.....but arming some administrators might not be a bad idea....

Ending school gun free zones would be a better idea....since it hasn't worked yet.....
Forget about that "gun free zone" bullshit.
The Gun-Free Zone Myth No relationship between Gun-Free Zones and Mass Shootings Armed With Reason

It's not bullshit......what that article competely misses......at this point....all of the mass shooting locations are default gun free zones...the killers did not have to worry about making a choice, the locations that they had connections to were, by law, already gun free zones.......so that article is bullshit.....

There are 4 known cases where the killer chose a location that did not have a connection to him....not their school or place of work, and did so on the basis of the location being a gun free zone....

1- the colorado theater killer....specifically chose a theater that had a no guns allowed policy...he drove 20 minutes out of his way, bypassing many theaters showing the same movie at the same time....but they all allowed concealed carry on their premises

2-the santa barbara shooter in his video, he said he wanted to go and shoot up a local event....but decided not to...why....because he knew there were going to be armed police there....so he chose random, gun free zones to do his shootings..

3-A teenager in Minnesota planned on going to his high school and shooting people...he was captured before he could, at his storage locker...in he confessed about his plans, the first thing he said he was going to do was to kill the only person on campus with a gun, the police liason officer. He was going to sneak up on him, kill him, secure his gun and with his own guns go on to shoot everyone....

4-another almost school shooter...same thing, he was going to kill the only police officer on campus to create a gun free killing zone.....

So that article is anti gun bullshit.....

I don`t know what happened to my post but my school district has students in 7 different buildings. I should have to pay for 7 cops
So far I've heard of several teachers shooting themselves, but not saving anyone. Good thing they didn't shoot a student.

To emphasis the point......there are a few cases of teachers having accidents with guns.....

Every case of a school attacked by a killer with a gun in which none of the staff were armed...resulted in fatalities...and in some cases massive fatalities......

The idea that gun free zones and disarmed staff work....has been tried and has failed each time it has met the reality of an armed killer.....

Is the solution to arm teachers....considering how rare these events actually are.....if the media didn't play up these shootings I think that would go a lot farther in stopping these attacks.....but arming some administrators might not be a bad idea....

Ending school gun free zones would be a better idea....since it hasn't worked yet.....
The Gun-Free Zone Myth No relationship between Gun-Free Zones and Mass Shootings Armed With Reason

It's not bullshit......what that article competely misses......at this point....all of the mass shooting locations are default gun free zones...the killers did not have to worry about making a choice, the locations that they had connections to were, by law, already gun free zones.......so that article is bullshit.....

There are 4 known cases where the killer chose a location that did not have a connection to him....not their school or place of work, and did so on the basis of the location being a gun free zone....

1- the colorado theater killer....specifically chose a theater that had a no guns allowed policy...he drove 20 minutes out of his way, bypassing many theaters showing the same movie at the same time....but they all allowed concealed carry on their premises

2-the santa barbara shooter in his video, he said he wanted to go and shoot up a local event....but decided not to...why....because he knew there were going to be armed police there....so he chose random, gun free zones to do his shootings..

3-A teenager in Minnesota planned on going to his high school and shooting people...he was captured before he could, at his storage locker...in he confessed about his plans, the first thing he said he was going to do was to kill the only person on campus with a gun, the police liason officer. He was going to sneak up on him, kill him, secure his gun and with his own guns go on to shoot everyone....

4-another almost school shooter...same thing, he was going to kill the only police officer on campus to create a gun free killing zone.....

Which is SO much worse than your pro gun bullshit

Somehow

Here is the thing....you anti gun people assume that the teachers are going to run around the school doing combat rolls looking to engage the killers in a shoot out.....and you are wrong....

If there is a killer in the school, all the teacher has to do is stand in the door way of their class room and monitor their hallway.....they don't have to draw the weapon until they see an attacker enter their area.....they can then yell....."Stop, I am armed and will shoot".....from a covered position of their classroom door....the guy will run, shoot, or try to advance....if he leaves the area, the teacher stays in place...if he shoots, the teacher can draw their weapon and return fire...and if he tries to advance down the hall the teacher can draw and shoot....

All these armed teachers need to do is secure areas......they just have to wait for the police to arrive....but by being armed, they deny access to the killer/killers and slow them down....

Please, a little more thought into reality, rather than what you see in the movies.....

Here is the thing....you anti gun people assume that the teachers are going to run around the school doing combat rolls looking to engage the killers in a shoot out.....and you are wrong....

If there is a killer in the school, all the teacher has to do is stand in the door way of their class room and monitor their hallway.....they don't have to draw the weapon until they see an attacker enter their area.....they can then yell....."Stop, I am armed and will shoot".....from a covered position of their classroom door....the guy will run, shoot, or try to advance....if he leaves the area, the teacher stays in place...if he shoots, the teacher can draw their weapon and return fire...and if he tries to advance down the hall the teacher can draw and shoot....

All these armed teachers need to do is secure areas......they just have to wait for the police to arrive....but by being armed, they deny access to the killer/killers and slow them down....

Please, a little more thought into reality, rather than what you see in the movies.....
Flamethrowers are better.

Somehow

Oh.....so you aren't going to address the truth of my post.....the article tries to say that the shootings are connected to where the guys have connections or grievances.....but it mentions schools, jobs, and places of worship.......schools and churches.....absolute gun free zones by default and law........

Places of business....ask the girl at Nordstrom who was shot by her ex boyfriend......a gun free zone...

And those jobs that allowed carry....the attackers have been shot or held for police...

So Smarterthantheaveragebear.....where am I wrong?

LOL by and large teachers aren't even doing the job they have now successfully, but you think arming them is a good idea.

Somehow

From the anti gun article....

The Gun-Free Zone Myth No relationship between Gun-Free Zones and Mass Shootings Armed With Reason[/QUOTE]

Instead, data clearly show that a killer’s motives are reliably tethered to the source of their grievances and prejudices: workplaces, schools, religious institutions, and so forth. Mass shooters are simply not the calculating, death-optimizing machines that gun proponents depict them to be. Twelve of the sixty-two mass shootings surveyed took place at a school, and in all but one of them, the killer had direct ties to the school they targeted. Twenty of the sixty-two mass shootings occurred at the workplace, and each involved disgruntled employees taking their grievances out on employers and colleagues. And according to a study done by Mayors Against Illegal Guns, in 57% of mass shootings, the shooter targeted a former or current intimate partner.

This is why this article is bullshit....schools....by law are automatically gun free zones...no decision making necessary on the part of the killer...anti gunners did that for him....

Most work places are gun free zones.....especially bars and other places that serve alcohol, and the ones where someone has a gun.....are the ones where criminals and mass killers are actually stopped by the law abiding, armed citizen...

That article is bullshit......

Somehow

Oh.....so you aren't going to address the truth of my post.....the article tries to say that the shootings are connected to where the guys have connections or grievances.....but it mentions schools, jobs, and places of worship.......schools and churches.....absolute gun free zones by default and law........

Places of business....ask the girl at Nordstrom who was shot by her ex boyfriend......a gun free zone...

And those jobs that allowed carry....the attackers have been shot or held for police...

Where oh where did I say you were wrong on that point Bill? Obviously these people target gun free areas.

LOL by and large teachers aren't even doing the job they have now successfully, but you think arming them is a good idea.

Hmmmmmm....at this point teachers are not armed and schools are gun free zones.....how did that work out for Columbine, Sandy Hook, Virginia Tech, Northern University......see a problem here.....when we have tried it without staff being armed, and making the schools gun free for law abiding citizens.....the killers kill a lot of people before the police arrive....

It happens overseas as well....the two worst mass shootings in history, in Norway and South Korea.....both happened in gun free zones......

So....your way has a pretty poor track record.......

Somehow

Where oh where did I say you were wrong on that point Bill? Obviously these people target gun free areas.

Actually, it was more to address West's article but my post was linked with his.....so if we agree on that...great....have a nice Christmas....

Hmmmmmm....at this point teachers are not armed and schools are gun free zones.....how did that work out for Columbine, Sandy Hook, Virginia Tech, Northern University......see a problem here.....when we have tried it without staff being armed, and making the schools gun free for law abiding citizens.....the killers kill a lot of people before the police arrive....

It happens overseas as well....the two worst mass shootings in history, in Norway and South Korea.....both happened in gun free zones......

So....your way has a pretty poor track record.......

We haven't tried confiscating all private guns either Bill. That might work, we just don't know. What you don't want to try it "my" way? Why not Bill. Why don't you care about the kids Bill?

You see how that works???

another reason your article is bullshit August West....

They lump together all gun deaths.....

To put the improbability of mass deaths occurring at school in context, consider that the total number of handgun deaths in the United States (1980-2006) was about 32,000 per year. By comparison, since 1980, 297 people have been killed in school shootings. This amounts to roughly 9 deaths per year at school. Essentially, John Lott and other gun-advocates want teachers, professors, and security officers carrying guns in order to deter extremely unlikely events, a policy that has no substantiating evidence and may actually increase the likelihood of gun fatalities.

According to FBI stats there are only 8-9,000 gun murders a year...in a country of 310 million people.....so until they tell the truth about the difference between the suicide numbers....which are way more than gun murders...they can't be trusted on the other things....they are anti gun propagandists....

Forum List

Back