Should We Arm Our Teachers?

PGreen

Nov 24, 2014
Some states and local jurisdictions are considering or have already passed laws allowing teachers, faculty and other campus staff to carry firearms on campus. Additionally, the NRA is recommending this as a step to improve school security.
Supporters claim it means tragic massacres of students could be avoided if teachers could defend themselves against armed fanatics to the same degree.

But is this a good idea?

Of course it's a good idea. It beats sitting in the corner waiting to die. It should voluntary of course but given the high percentage of liberals in public ed most won't take them up on it. But some will and the odds will improve for those kids.

Some states and local jurisdictions are considering or have already passed laws allowing teachers, faculty and other campus staff to carry firearms on campus. Additionally, the NRA is recommending this as a step to improve school security.
Supporters claim it means tragic massacres of students could be avoided if teachers could defend themselves against armed fanatics to the same degree.

But is this a good idea?
It is a good idea for criminals and nuts to think they might encounter an armed person if they victimize a school.

No teacher should be forced to carry; no untrained person should be allowed to carry.

Most principals I worked for had a pistol in their desk.

That ended about 20 years ago, as the school shootings started.

As a substitute teacher and licensed carrier of a concealed firearm, I am tempted to approach our School Board and request permission to be in possession of my firearm while on school campuses. However, I fear that it would result in the termination of my employment with the District. In fact, I'm certain of it LOL.
But, wow what a spectacle that would make. :thup:

We should arm the students.
When I first began teaching there were scores of guns in the student parking lot, most openly displayed in gun racks.

The only school shooting was of a spike buck that made the mistake of trying to graze on the newly planted baseball diamond.

Drawn and quartered after being shot, he was barbequed in the ag shop and served to all who wanted some.

Horrible idea. It would be far more likely a teacher would accidently shoot a student than ever even be in a position to defend them, let alone qualified to act. Having a concealed carry permit does not mean your are even vaguely competent with a firearm.

Horrible idea. It would be far more likely a teacher would accidently shoot a student than ever even be in a position to defend them, let alone qualified to act. Having a concealed carry permit does not mean your are even vaguely competent with a firearm.
After 16 house of classroom instruction and range training, I'd have to disagree.

But is this a good idea?

Of course it is a horrible idea, but they will claim that "Since nobody shot up these schools, the program works!!!" except when they do shoot up the school in which case they will blame the gays and black culture and welfare and the alignment of the planets and anything except the presence of guns in hands that should not be allowed a chance of access to those guns.

There was an armed guard at Columbine and another one near by. So much for that idea. Of course the gun/criminal lobby supports this because they are paid to push gun sales.

Last edited:
There was an armed guard at Columbine and another one near by. So much for that idea. Of course the gun/criminal lobby supports this because they are paid to push gun sales.

The armed guard at Columbine exchanged fire with the perpetrators and allowed many students to escape.

Give them grenades too. In case it's a group that attacks the school.

Here's an idea: Let MY children go to an "armed" school while YOUR children go to an unarmed school. OK?
In almost all of these mass shootings, both the parents and the schools missed plenty of warnings that could have stopped the killings before they happened.

But let's blame the guns.

Here's an idea: Let MY children go to an "armed" school while YOUR children go to an unarmed school. OK?
In almost all of these mass shootings, both the parents and the schools missed plenty of warnings that could have stopped the killings before they happened.

I don't have a problem with guns. I just get irked when gun nuts proclaim them as a cure for everything.

first thing....end the "gun free zone" status of schools and allow legally armed parents to carry their guns into their children's schools....second....especially at the high school level, office staff and administrators should have a concealed carry plan....it wouldn't have to be all of them, but just letting monsters know that more than one person was possibly carrying would be a deterrent.

Those two things should help a lot.....

I don't have a problem with guns. I just get irked when gun nuts proclaim them as a cure for everything.
They have their purposes.
There are many teachers qualified to carry safely.
No need for teachers to have them in desks, but, a few teachers here and there, carrying discreetly, would keep perps guessing.

I just get irked when gun nuts proclaim them as a cure for everything.

They don't cure cancer.....but they do stop violent criminal attack about 1.6 million times a year.......

Forum List

Back