Should the United States Support International Democritization?

Now for the schools in general,
1. They are overwhelmingly liberal in perspective, both in those they employ and in terms of the progressive education they profess.

Someone should really go tell the teachers I had that, one of which was so far to the right that he called the Civil War "The War of Northern Aggression".

Well it wasn't technically a civil war since the Confederates weren't interested in overthrowing or taking over the U.S. government, they just wanted to be left alone.

What was fallacious about standing firmly behind the brave froces who were able to conquer the forces of Nazism, Communism and colonialism.

And asking for no more than enough land to bury the dead.

Sorry you can't be proud of same.

Well you see it's not true.

So you don't want to comment on how Powell's assertion was incorrect?

No, since it wasn't incorrect.

General Powell well understood the nature of American exceptionalism, and the blood and treasure that the United States invested in bettering the world.

No doubt your understanding of American history leaves out the best and underscores transgressions.

To prove this point one need only try to imagine a world in which the United States never existed, or maintained the kind of isolationism that the Ron Paul Loser-terians envision: chaos, and a hierarchy akin to the prison system.

He was incorrect. We didn't fight Nazi Germany out of some great and noble calling. We fought because we saw them as a threat to our security. And how are we some great anti-colonial power? The only anti-colonial wars were fought were to expand our own colonial claims.

Well you see it's not true.

General Powell well understood the nature of American exceptionalism, and the blood and treasure that the United States invested in bettering the world.

No doubt your understanding of American history leaves out the best and underscores transgressions.

To prove this point one need only try to imagine a world in which the United States never existed, or maintained the kind of isolationism that the Ron Paul Loser-terians envision: chaos, and a hierarchy akin to the prison system.

So you would only count the best while leaving out the transgressions, when it is the transgressions that prove Powell wrong? Transgressions such as the Philippines, where we helped oust an imperial Spain only to become the imperial power ourselves. Where we fought a war against the natives of that country who only wanted their independence. Doesn't sound like all we were asking for was land to bury our dead soldiers. Nor does it sound like that in the case of Hawaii where we helped overthrow a government to acquire those islands for ourselves.

The fact is you can't look at our history in a vacuum and say "We've only done good in the world," while ignoring everything we've done wrong.

And it's not surprising that the obvious difference between isolationism and non-interventionism escapes you, since you believe the fairy tale Colin Powell tried to tell the world.

Now for the schools in general,
1. They are overwhelmingly liberal in perspective, both in those they employ and in terms of the progressive education they profess.

Someone should really go tell the teachers I had that, one of which was so far to the right that he called the Civil War "The War of Northern Aggression".

Well it wasn't technically a civil war since the Confederates weren't interested in overthrowing or taking over the U.S. government, they just wanted to be left alone.

Without sidetracking the thread to that topic, all I'm saying is that sure as hell isn't a liberal position. Nor was another teacher I had who thought Bush hung the moon and set the stars in the sky.

So you would only count the best while leaving out the transgressions, when it is the transgressions that prove Powell wrong? Transgressions such as the Philippines, where we helped oust an imperial Spain only to become the imperial power ourselves. Where we fought a war against the natives of that country who only wanted their independence. Doesn't sound like all we were asking for was land to bury our dead soldiers. Nor does it sound like that in the case of Hawaii where we helped overthrow a government to acquire those islands for ourselves.

The fact is you can't look at our history in a vacuum and say "We've only done good in the world," while ignoring everything we've done wrong.

And it's not surprising that the obvious difference between isolationism and non-interventionism escapes you, since you believe the fairy tale Colin Powell tried to tell the world.

Do you not realize how absurd you appear, wishing to compare the relatively minor flirtations with colonialism to America's valiant leaps into history in two world wars and various attempts to stop tyrannts?

Do we have ownership of the Philippines?

Didn't our 22nd and 24th President reverse the mistakes in Hawaii?

What is the provenance of this hatred of America that you wear as some badge of priciple? For, it is not!

Your vapid argument against America's greatness reminds me of the Huffington Post's comment re: Obama critics: "If he walked on water, they'd say he couldn't swim."

Do you not realize how absurd you appear, wishing to compare the relatively minor flirtations with colonialism to America's valiant leaps into history in two world wars and various attempts to stop tyrannts?

What is the provenance of this hatred of America that you wear as some badge of priciple? For, it is not!

Your vapid argument against America's greatness reminds me of the Huffington Post's comment re: Obama critics: "If he walked on water, they'd say he couldn't swim."

Minor flirtations? The Philippine-American War began in 1899 and we didn't allow them their independence until after World War II. Cleveland tried to reverse the mistakes in Hawaii, but failed to do so. William McKinley, who I'm embarrassed to say is from the same city as me, saw to it that Hawaii was annexed after he became President, so those who orchestrated the overthrow got what they wanted in the end.

I don't hate America, that's simply the argument of the ignorant that can't understand the difference between a criticism of the United States government and hating America. If we were to use your standards every time you criticize President Obama you're showing your hatred of America.

My argument isn't vapid, it's simply truth. Unlike Colin Powell's fairy tale that you're trying to peddle as historical fact.

I don't hate America, that's simply the argument of the ignorant that can't understand the difference between a criticism of the United States government and hating America. If we were to use your standards every time you criticize President Obama you're showing your hatred of America.

While we disagree on a lot of issues Kevin, I think that's a wonderful point. There is a ton of room to criticize government policy without hating the nation. Those that claim otherwise do so out of their own childishness.

Minor flirtations? The Philippine-American War began in 1899 and we didn't allow them their independence until after World War II. Cleveland tried to reverse the mistakes in Hawaii, but failed to do so. William McKinley, who I'm embarrassed to say is from the same city as me, saw to it that Hawaii was annexed after he became President, so those who orchestrated the overthrow got what they wanted in the end.

My argument isn't vapid, it's simply truth. Unlike Colin Powell's fairy tale that you're trying to peddle as historical fact.

"Cleveland tried to reverse the mistakes in Hawaii, but failed to do so."
Wrong.

In his second term he withdrew the treaty of annexation and asked for Congressional help in December of '93 in finding some way to restore the queen to power in a manner "consistent with American honor, integrity and morality."

That is a quote from his 'Special Message to Congress.'

And he stood firm.

BTW, Cleveland is from my state.

US rule of the Philippines began in 1905, and would have ended earlier than '46 had it not been for the Japanese invasion.

The inconsequential nature of your argument is due to equating these minor events to American influence on world history from Wilson to Bush.

Overall you fail to observe the axiom "let not the good be the enemy of the perfect."

What were we talking about? Propping up would be democracies?

Generally I support it. There have been mistakes fighting Communism such as arming and training the Mujahideen and whatever we did in Cuba to make Castro look like a good alternative, but if the intention is to support democracy go for it.

It seems we have redistributed our wealth around the world one Acura, BMW, DVD player and t-shirt at a time so we are unable to fund wars for democracies everyplace we would like. While being careful not to get wrapped up in foreign entanglements it is probably time to push the United Nations into action or build more international coalitions.

Oh, and yes, we pragmatically slaughtered the Native Americans in the name of Manifest Destiny. To the benefit of the world most likely. Not sure if I would have done otherwise if I was a President during the 19th Century but I sure would have felt the urge to confess to a Priest after every inhumane resettlement or intentionally broken treaty.

Wrong.

In his second term he withdrew the treaty of annexation and asked for Congressional help in December of '93 in finding some way to restore the queen to power in a manner "consistent with American honor, integrity and morality."

And he stood firm.

US rule of the Philippines began in 1905, and would have ended earlier than '46 had it not been for the Japanese invasion.

The inconsequential nature of your argument is due to equating these minor events to American influence on world history from Wilson to Bush.

Overall you fail to observe the axiom "let not the good be the enemy of the perfect."

Congratulations, Cleveland may have been our best President of all time. But he did fail. William McKinley reversed his course and annexed Hawaii.

The Philippine-American war began in 1899, that's the war where we fought the people of the Philippines for the right to rule their land. The war where we became an imperial power in other words. You can say we might have been out of there earlier, but that's speculation. The fact is that we never should have been there in the first place.

That axiom has no basis in this discussion. Your claim is that we've never "asked" for any land other than that we needed to bury our soldiers, and that has been proven false. Now you're trying to denounce these historical episodes as "minor."

What were we talking about? Propping up would be democracies?

Generally I support it. There have been mistakes fighting Communism such as arming and training the Mujahideen and whatever we did in Cuba to make Castro look like a good alternative, but if the intention is to support democracy go for it.

It seems we have redistributed our wealth around the world one Acura, BMW, DVD player and t-shirt at a time so we are unable to fund wars for democracies everyplace we would like. While being careful not to get wrapped up in foreign entanglements it is probably time to push the United Nations into action or build more international coalitions.

Oh, and yes, we pragmatically slaughtered the Native Americans in the name of Manifest Destiny. To the benefit of the world most likely. Not sure if I would have done otherwise if I was a President during the 19th Century but I sure would have felt the urge to confess to a Priest after every inhumane resettlement or intentionally broken treaty.

My question to you, friend, is why you didn't have the same integrity as every other poster in this thread, to confront openly, in front of the members of the board, and instead used a neg rep, which is the sure sign of a coward.

No matter how hot any of us got, only you used a 'stealth attack.'

I would hope that in the future, as a valued board member, you develop the strength of character to joust in public, rather than ambush in the dark.

As Theodore Roosevelt said of William McKinley, you have “no more backbone than a chocolate éclair.”

Disappointing.

Wrong.

And he stood firm.

Congratulations, Cleveland may have been our best President of all time. But he did fail. William McKinley reversed his course and annexed Hawaii.

The Philippine-American war began in 1899, that's the war where we fought the people of the Philippines for the right to rule their land. The war where we became an imperial power in other words. You can say we might have been out of there earlier, but that's speculation. The fact is that we never should have been there in the first place.

That axiom has no basis in this discussion. Your claim is that we've never "asked" for any land other than that we needed to bury our soldiers, and that has been proven false. Now you're trying to denounce these historical episodes as "minor."

And paint pointing out those "minor" episodes as evidence that you "hate America."

It's bullshit.

Wrong.

And he stood firm.

And paint pointing out those "minor" episodes as evidence that you "hate America."

It's bullshit.

Yes, and I reminded her that any time she criticizes Obama she is demonstrating her hate of America.

Wrong.

And he stood firm.

It's bullshit.

Could you show where you found the quote ""hate America." or do you need your spectacles cleaned.

I await your clarification.

There it is.

Wrong.

And he stood firm.

Certainly 'minor' is appropriate in that you are in error about Cleveland's withdrawl of the treaty of annexation of Hawaii, and 'minor' in comparison to two world wars.

Should you claim otherwise, your reasoning ability is strongly to be questioned.

It's bullshit.

Could you show where you found the quote ""hate America." or do you need your spectacles cleaned.

Coming right up!

Start spinning, Chicky!

It's bullshit.

Coming right up!

Start spinning, Chicky!

My apology- I didn't recall the hyperbole.

There it is.

And you get an apology,as well.

Forum List

Back